What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matty Johns

Hiekka

Juniors
When can we expect to see Matty back on deck?

What do the ladies think of him coming back on air. Does a gangbang really put you offside with the community in this day and age??

dragon_around

Juniors
iirc he was approached by Nein for the state of origin and he more or less told them to go and get rooted.

The way 9 have treated him has been woeful and I say good on him.

Noa

First Grade
When can we expect to see Matty back on deck?

What do the ladies think of him coming back on air. Does a gangbang really put you offside with the community in this day and age??

Alot of good can come from a gangbang.

Like you.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think Matty should just go ahead and continue his life away from the media. Nothing good would come to him if he returned.

bartman

Immortal
If he was going to return, I would have expected a low key return as a co-comentator in a lower grade game on Grand Final day.

It didn't happen. I'd say his "return value" in terms of ratings for Channel 9 is diminshing as time goes by. It's start of season 2010 or never imo.

I hope that Matty Johns has used the spare time afforded him this year to map out a new career path for himself, rather than re-visit the "limelight" of trying to recapture his Footy Show comedic position. He more than had his time in the sun, but makes a good straight commentator if he's still interested in being involved in broadcasting.

ramble_on

Juniors
Wouldn't want to see him putting pressure on the fragile sensitivities of all those RL supporters who were prepared to leave the game in droves but stuck around because of the rigid stance employed by 9 and the NRL........

IMO I wonder if you randomly walked up to a few people in the street, how many of them would remember why Matt was put in the spotlight...

Hanscholo

Bench
Id like to see him return to TV, perhaps his new character could have some black shoe polish and a nice wig?

Nuke

Staff member
I read that he was approached by Ch9 to be a sideline commentator in the Round 26 Sunday match, which was Newcastle vs Penrith at EnergyAustralia Stadium. With it being Newcastle's last home game for the season, it was the annual 'Old Boys' day. Ch9 were hoping he'd jump at the chance to commentate a Knights game in front of Newcastle supporters. I also read that he told 'em where to go.

thuggdogg

Juniors
Put it this way.

Everyone i know falls into three categories

A) Hes a playa and a legend.
B) he has been hard done by from da media
C)whats da fuss? or i dont care.

If i had a dollar for every mate i have thats been in a gangbang id earn a weeks wage easily.

Its no big deal. LOT of gangas about.
Australias dark secret how many girls do this type of thing.
i believe a certain type of male brings it out of girls that you never would have picked them doing it otherwise.

Munky Funky

Juniors
you lot are missing the point

its not cos it was a gangbang. its cos it wasnt consensual. are you saying you stick up for a guy who lets other blokes rape a girl?

good on you all

DeeJ

Bench
I swear I heard the voice of Matty Johns making a sideline comment during the Arrive Alive cup final early one morning.

LESStar58

Referee
He got hung out to dry by all and sundry yet put on a brave face through all of it while everyone stuck the boot in but I still have a lot of respect for Matt considering how he handled everything while everyone else a la Firman kept out of it all

But I'm in agreement with those who say he should just keep out of the media for a bit.

Green Machine

First Grade
I think the fans have been punished enough with Andrew Johns’ commentary. Bring back Matt Johns and get rid of Andrew

ramble_on

Juniors
you lot are missing the point

its not cos it was a gangbang. its cos it wasnt consensual. are you saying you stick up for a guy who lets other blokes rape a girl?

good on you all

Done to death... you're opinion... most don't agree with you, most importantly police at the time... couldn't give a f**k what you think... f**k off back to supporting fumble ball.....

Kiki

First Grade
i think hes doing a show on Triple M with Gus Worland.

as for him being back on the Footy Show, i never watch it any more so it wouldnt bother me either way.

Charlie124

First Grade
i hope he doesnt come back to the footy show, but id be happy for him to come back to nein if he decided he wanted to.

ditch his pill popping brother though.

Noa

First Grade

Cronk thanks mentor and mate

By David Riccio | October 10, 2009 11:01pm

OF the hundreds of text messages Cooper Cronk received last week, there are two he will never delete from his mobile phone. The first arrived moments after the Melbourne Storm halfback won his second premiership ring last Sunday.
The second came early on Wednesday, just minutes after he was named in Australia's 24-man Four-Nations squad.
Both were from exiled rugby league star Matthew Johns.
"He was probably the first person to do it after the game and was probably the first person to do it when the Aussie team was announced,'' Cronk said. "It was special coming from him.''
Standing proudly in his Kangaroos training gear last Thursday, Cronk reflected on his remarkable season.
"I'm so pleased to achieve what the Melbourne team has done, but also to be part of representing your country is also a great honour in itself,'' Cronk said.
"Grand finals are a big week and there are a lot of things on. You don't go into grand finals worrying about Test selection.''
But the Storm star was just as quick to acknowledge how he got to this point of his career and the role Johns has played.
Premiership rings, four grand finals and now national selection - Johns has been behind Cronk the entire way.
"Matty's taught me a hell of a lot and I definitely wouldn't have done what I've done without him and his influence on me,'' Cronk said. "I owe it to him.''
It was as a 22-year-old that Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy first took a punt on the former Queensland rugby union schoolboys star.
Cronk had been playing in the Queensland Cup with Brisbane Easts when Bellamy asked Johns to chauffeur the cheeky No7 from Sydney Airport to an oval in Collaroy, lay out some witches hats and put him through his paces.
"It was a sink-or-swim scenario when I got given the chance,'' Cronk remembers.
Cronk had flown in from Brisbane as Matt Orford's replacement and Johns - as then Melbourne assistant coach - was his minder, mentor and soon to be close mate. It's a friendship that has remained strong.
"Craig had been a big part of him coming on board at Melbourne and we've struck up a good relationship ever since,'' Cronk said. "We're good mates now ... and we talk a bit of footy as well."
"I was given an opportunity at the time, so it was either going to work out, or it wasn't."
"But he (Johns) got behind me. He not only knows about rugby league and helped me out in terms of tactics, but he's just a good fellow to have a chat with and give you food for thought."
"He's got a great footy mind, he's definitely been a big help for me personally. He's a good man.''
Bellamy suggested Cronk's comments reflect the overwhelming sentiments of the Melbourne Storm players.
"That's typical of the respect the players have for Matty,'' Bellamy said. "Cooper's comments don't surprise me greatly. That's the impact Matty has had on all the boys.''

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26191844-5003409,00.html

Latest posts