What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe it was a good decision

Ilya

Juniors
The way i understand it, the ultimate target is to be able to fund each club an amount equal to the salary cap. To do that and add a sixteenth team, all the NRL needs is 14.5 million dollars. Now as far as i understand it, it's not that much money for an organisation the size of the NRL, not to mention they'd only have to hold that for a year until channel nine's contract is renegotiated in 2007 (expected to multiply).

However next year, there's even a chance that Fox Sports will pay less (unlikely but possible) due to there being no competition for the pay tv license. Under these circumstances, perhaps choosing not to expand in 2006 is a good idea, assuming they do choose to expand in 2007 (when they have more money to work with).

Bengal

Juniors
The non-expansion route makes perfect sense going on this logic.
If Rugby League cannot get an increase in TV revenue from Fox in the shape this sport is in, sport in general is in trouble and if that turns out to be the case, then I'm sure something will give and whatever it will be, it won't be good for Fox - I'm guessing :)

Eelectrica

Referee
In the FOX SotG show Gallop indicated that Fox wasn't the only option. Could ESPN be a viable alternative? They are a huge sporting network. I'm pretty sure both Fox, Austar and Optus have access to ESPN.

I don't mind having to wait an extra year, as long as it does happen eventually. The NRL must be aware though that the window of opportunity won't be open forever.

KFC

Juniors
Fox will get the rights and they will pay less just like last time. Don't be deluded into thinking otherwise.

DJ1

Juniors
KFC said:
Fox will get the rights and they will pay less just like last time. Don't be deluded into thinking otherwise.

The issue the last time wasn't how much was to be paid to the NRL it was that C7 wanted the channel in a seperate tier package for $19.95 to PTV subscribers. The NRL wanted all the games available to the entire PTV audience by having a channel in the standard basic package.

C7 will be wiser next time. The bigger revenue slice will be the free to air rights which 9 got for a song.

Front-Rower

First Grade
There is no more C7 they went to the wall.

If any broadcaster gets rugby league next I hope they include a clause to say the Saturday night match of the round has to be televised on the ABC with the remaining game/s to be played on Fox/or other pay TV provider.

KFC

Juniors
DJ1 said:
KFC said:

The issue the last time wasn't how much was to be paid to the NRL it was that C7 wanted the channel in a seperate tier package for $19.95 to PTV subscribers. The NRL wanted all the games available to the entire PTV audience by having a channel in the standard basic package.

C7 will be wiser next time. The bigger revenue slice will be the free to air rights which 9 got for a song.

That may well be the case but C7 were offering a lot more cash. The Fox deal looked bigger but most of it was contra.

Bengal

Juniors
The rah-rahs in the form of SANZAR will give us a good indication of where we're heading when they negotiate their deal.

mightybears

Bench
when a media organisation takes over the running of any sport to ensure pay tv content, that sport's best interests will only be served when it suits that media organisation

BuffaloRules

Coach
mightybears said:
when a media organisation takes over the running of any sport to ensure pay tv content, that sport's best interests will only be served when it suits that media organisation

You are right about this comment, but what can be done about it now??

News Ltd wanted our game and had the funds to pay for it....Does the NRL go to Westpac and ask for a loan to buy out News Ltd interest?? Would they sell it after going to all that trouble to acquire it??

Grantwhy

Juniors
mightybears said:

Ch.Nein controlled the NSWRL and ARL so well that .....

*sigh* :(