What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McFadden

Diesel

Referee
Some of the so-called journalists that live in Sydney probably have no idea we have a coach signed for the next 3 1/2 years. I'm sure it's standard to name clubs outside the 8 anytime a new coach is available

sup42

Juniors
Bennett would be a fantastic Director of coaching for the Warriors.

He woudn't need to live here , attending away games and Mt Smart monthly would be more than adequate to give McFadden and Dean Bell a consultant on Coaching clubs like no other.

Recruitment in Australia would be Waynes branch. He has more contacts an influence there than anyone we could sign.

Having Bennett in the dressing Room for away games would give our players a massive lift.

JJ

Immortal
Some of the so-called journalists that live in Sydney probably have no idea we have a coach signed for the next 3 1/2 years. I'm sure it's standard to name clubs outside the 8 anytime a new coach is available

Brad Walter is not a 'so-called' journalist... and we've already seen how much coaching contracts mean, for the Warriors and other clubs... There's no guarantee for McFadden, and Bennett's impending availability is unforeseen, plus they talked a big game, and he's the big fish.

I doubt it will happen, but Bennett coming in in a mentoring role, or perhaps something akin to what Gould does at the Panthers wouldn't be awful...

I am happy with the current coach, but they should probably talk to Bennett

JJ

Immortal
Bennett would be a fantastic Director of coaching for the Warriors.

He woudn't need to live here , attending away games and Mt Smart monthly would be more than adequate to give McFadden and Dean Bell a consultant on Coaching clubs like no other.

Recruitment in Australia would be Waynes branch. He has more contacts an influence there than anyone we could sign.

Having Bennett in the dressing Room for away games would give our players a massive lift.

Yep, agree 100%

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

sup42

Juniors
He's interviewed his typewriter there.

It would be beyond ridiculous if we were still sounding out Bennett as our head coach when we've just given our guy a 3-year extension. And if we were sounding him out as a football manager, then I'd expect Walter would've said that.
Nice turn of phrase interviewing his type writer.

Pretty much, dancing with himsel-helf whoa dancing with him...had an eighties moment there.

I hope the Warriors continue with the idea of a coaching director, that was the plan with Elliot.

Elliots gone , the concept shouldn't die with him.

Someone needs to have an overview apart from Dean Bell of McFaddens underlings.....Jones and Smith.

I would be more than happy with one of the coaches from a well structured club with systems in place they can transfer the knowledge of aligning development.

Wigan do this very well, their Juniors play exactly the systems of their seniors.

We need someone from a similar set up.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Which clubs are running the Football Operations/Coaching Director system at the moment?

It's rife in AFL clubs, who have a bit more money to throw around admittedly.

sup42

Juniors
Which clubs are running the Football Operations/Coaching Director system at the moment?

It's rife in AFL clubs, who have a
menupop.gif
bit more money to throw around admittedly.
Penrith have Gould

TheDMC

Bench
I always thought we signed MacFadden prematurely...should have waited until later in the year. Saying that, he is doing great, and each week I get a little more confident he is the one to take us to glory over the next few years.

But let's say we hadn't signed MacFadden on long-term contract yet, would you want us to chase Bennett for head coach and lose MacFadden?

It would seem a no brainer, but as much as I admire Bennett I look at that Newcastle team and their style of play with broken ass old fellas and think he has lost the plot somewhat as a coach.

Jeepers it would be a hard call - supercoach who may no longer be super, or up and coming coach who seems to have the goods, but still unproven. Personally at this point in time and based on outside slim knowledge, I would stick with MacFadden and push hard for Bennett as director and patron saint.
If not possible, I would forget about Bennett. But man that could come back to bite ya in the ass if MacFadden doesn't deliver.

JJ

Immortal
I think the Newcastle vs Warriors scenario is quite different though, the roster he inherited there was aging and Mullen has has several unfortunate injuries...

Warriors are much younger, I reckon he's be great here, somewhere... time will tell

TheDMC

Bench
I think the Newcastle vs Warriors scenario is quite different though, the roster he inherited there was aging and Mullen has has several unfortunate injuries...

Warriors are much younger, I reckon he's be great here, somewhere... time will tell

I thought he bought in quite a few ageing players too - Mason etc. Which if you have an already old squad, doesn't help at all.

JJ

Immortal
I thought he bought in quite a few ageing players too - Mason etc. Which if you have an already old squad, doesn't help at all.

He certainly brought in Smith, Scott and Boyd... I thought (but could well be wrong) that Mason was already in...

But yeah, it hasn't been a success, but from what Johns has said the right things have been done at the lower levels - like us, Penrith, and Brisbane (prob Nth Qld, Canberra and perhaps GC too) they have outstanding juniors in their area, and that's the key to longevity

Izz

Bench
He bought some real geriatrics, including Craig Gower.

Buderus went okay for them, though, when he wasn't injured.

Blair

Coach
He bought some real geriatrics, including Craig Gower.

And a few questionable characters like BJ Leilua.

(Source: here)

BTW, I'm all for giving a guy a second chance in life, I hope he's done alright now.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
not to mention Packer

But again, there is a lot to be said for 2nd chances and discipline, Matagi and Ma'u are examples

sup42

Juniors
I always thought we signed MacFadden prematurely...should have waited until later in the year. Saying that, he is doing great, and each week I get a little more confident he is the one to take us to glory over the next few years.

But let's say we hadn't signed MacFadden on long-term contract yet, would you want us to chase Bennett for head coach and lose MacFadden?

It would seem a no brainer, but as much as I admire Bennett I look at that Newcastle team and their style of play with broken ass old fellas and think he has lost the plot somewhat as a coach.

Jeepers it would be a hard call - supercoach who may no longer be super, or up and coming coach who seems to have the goods, but still unproven. Personally at this point in time and based on outside slim knowledge, I would stick with MacFadden and push hard for Bennett as director and patron saint.
If not possible, I would forget about Bennett. But man that could come back to bite ya in the ass if MacFadden doesn't deliver.
I get the old fullahs part.But lets not forget while the rest of the NRL laughed at Wayne about his Dads army....Wayne constructed a campaign which embarrassed other clubs including us by going within one win of a Gf.

Master coach hasn't lost any of his Willey old fox ways.

Introduce a mind like that to the Raw talent of the Warriors and you're looking at putting a Napoleon in charge of the U.S Military.

Unlimited fire power meets Mastermind.

TheDMC

Bench
I get the old fullahs part.But lets not forget while the rest of the NRL laughed at Wayne about his Dads army....Wayne constructed a campaign which embarrassed other clubs including us by going within one win of a Gf.

Master coach hasn't lost any of his Willey old fox ways.

Introduce a mind like that to the Raw talent of the Warriors and you're looking at putting a Napoleon in charge of the U.S Military.

Unlimited fire power meets Mastermind.

Actually, I think the biggest problem with Newcastle is their jersey stripe, its abysmal. So what is the preference, Wayne as coach or as coaching director?

JJ

Immortal
Actually, I think the biggest problem with Newcastle is their jersey stripe, its abysmal. So what is the preference, Wayne as coach or as coaching director?

I think if they are serious about getting him, the real question is what is Wayne's preference...

I suspect that would be coach - I think he really enjoys working with the players, and doesn't have delusions of grandeur

TheDMC

Bench
I think if they are serious about getting him, the real question is what is Wayne's preference...

I suspect that would be coach - I think he really enjoys working with the players, and doesn't have delusions of grandeur

But I was asking what was your (and other's) preference? Not what Wayne wants...

sup42

Juniors
Their eighties Strip was believable in the same sense the DB Bitter Loyal to the Bitter end colors sold us.

Many think the paint ball jersey went a step too far....the flame jersey and the Eden Park looks Just like the nines Jersey was rumored to be putting our squad off their game.

I would take Bennett under any guise however perfect world Bennett head Coach , McFadden very happy co - under coach on the same four year salary.....a happy McFadden and a Happy Wayne make friends and plot their way to a dynasty post Bennetts retirement under the McFadden follow on.

Ten years of previously unseen threat....taken past the Melbournes...the Brisbanes.....Souths....Dragons and Raiders records.

Last edited:

Latest posts