What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGrath bounces doubters

The Colonel

Immortal
GLENN McGRATH has bounced his growing list of doubters, declaring he is in the best shape of his career.

The fast-bowling superstar last night revealed a gruelling fitness regimen had added 3kg of muscle to his wiry frame and slashed 20mm from his skin-fold tests.

And in a further warning to the world's batsmen, the 34-year-old said the left ankle that sidelined him for seven months had not felt better for years.

McGrath, who took 2-26 for the New South Wales Second XI at the MCG yesterday, said his knockers would not be so outspoken if they had witnessed his workload in the past two months.

Recovering from surgery to remove bone spurs in his ankle, McGrath has had just two days off since the start of the year.

"You see bad press saying, 'He's finished', and they haven't really spoken to me or seen what I'm doing," McGrath said.

"I think it's a bit early to be making a decision like that.

"I've been training harder than I ever have in the gym - my strength and fitness is a lot higher than it's been in the past.

"I can only see positive things out of this. I think what I've done in the last seven months will actually lengthen my career. Hopefully the best is to come. I'm fresher, keener and looking forward to playing.

"We saw Brian Lara have six months off and he came back and has been smashing them ever since."

McGrath was incensed by articles reporting that he had been forced to abort several comeback bids, claiming he didn't launch any serious attempts before he returned in Sydney grade cricket on Saturday.

"They basically just made it up. There's a lot of people out there reading it, and it's so far from the truth it's not funny," McGrath said.

Although many have questioned McGrath's ability to shake off the ankle problems, he is supremely confident the bone spurs will not flare up again.

"The way the ankle feels at the moment, it's as good as it's felt for years," McGrath said.

"It's not going to be a recurring injury. It's been totally fixed, and each bowl I have, it's going to get stronger.

"The main difference for me is I don't look at it as an injury. What the problem was, I've had removed. Guys like Merv (Hughes) and (Craig) McDermott, I think their knees started to play up.

"They had to carry or play through the injury, whereas I've had the spurs removed which were causing my problem."

McGrath, who has 430 wickets at 21.71 in 95 Tests, ran out of time to prove his fitness for next month's Test tour of Sri Lanka. But he has now set his sights on a Pura Cup title with New South Wales and Australia's May tour of Zimbabwe.

McGrath bowled 14.2 overs against the Victorian second XI, starting the day with a seven-over spell. He went to the lunch break with the stingy figures of 0-16 off 10 overs.

After lunch, he removed Andrew McDonald, then returned late in the day to dismiss Peter Roach.

Regular Victorian opener Jason Arnberger, on his way back from a calf injury, faced McGrath with the new ball on a helpful pitch.

Arnberger said he could not believe the doubters who said McGrath was washed up, predicting that, like, Shane Warne, he would be straight into the Test team as soon as he was ready.

"He does so much with the ball. It was more a fact of trying to get through his spell rather than try and attack him," Arnberger said.

"He was hitting the length as he normally does . . . he was getting a lot of extra bounce and hitting the seam almost every ball."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8775236-23212,00.html

Doctor

Bench
Great news for Australian cricket. Make no mistake: McGrath will go down in history as one of the greatest Test bowlers because of his consistency and his ability to out-think a batsman.

Unlike other great fast men, McGrath's speed is not his greatest weapon. He extracts added lift from the pitch, but relies on a consistent line, varying his length to test the batsmen.

I can see McGrath's issues with the media presenting incorrect assessments of his comeback. Clearly he is on his way back, contrary to suggestions he was struggling to return to the field. At his age, he could feel entitled to settle down and retire from cricket. But not this cricketer - he has his sights set on returning to the test scene, and I can't see anything stopping him. Williams, Bichel, Kasprowicz etc, even MacGill, pale into insignificance compared to this great Australian fast bowler.

McGrath has every right to command a position on the next test tour - certainly the Zimbabwe tour if it goes ahead and also the Sri Lankan tour of Australia in June.

He's on his way back - batsmen beware. :clap:

The Colonel

Immortal
I think there were a few batsman around the world breathing a sigh of relief at the news reports........ it will be good to see the big man sending the down again.

The Colonel

Immortal
He won't be going to Sri Lanka.... which long term could be a good thing. Should Zimbabwe go ahead then I expect him to be picked.

Doctor

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
He won't be going to Sri Lanka.... which long term could be a good thing. Should Zimbabwe go ahead then I expect him to be picked.

The series starts next week, and he wasn't included in the squad on the basis that he hadn't played a match in several months anyway - as you say: he won't be in Sri Lanka, even if an injury occurs to a bowler.

But the time in Australia's domestic competition will assist him no end. If NSW can't make the Pura Cup final then at least McGrath might get a club match or two in Sydney.

NSW must beat Queensland (outright) and hope Tasmania lose to the Victorians, in order to make the final. Their ING Cup season is over, so unfortunately McGrath misses out on the shorter matches to return to match fitness.

He will be right for the Zimbabwe tour, and opening the bowling again (barring injury) but the time the Sri Lankans arrive in Darwin.

Macca

Coach
You bloody beauty. Come back and play us again India! With Warne and McGrath back, our domination will recommence.

lolesi

First Grade
hopefully he does get to play some grade games for sutherland
not to far drive and cost nothing to go see one of the greatest test bowlers of all time :eek: :)

Rustay

Juniors
Fantastic news 8) He is a bloody legend and as has been said before, batsmen around the world had better look out if he comes back to his best.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Our opening bowler is back. :clap:
More early wickets will follow. :clap:

Oooooooohhhh Aaaaaaahhhh...................

SirShire

First Grade
Yup, we've missed him I reckon. Dizz went pretty well, but it will be great having the 2 bowl in tandem again.

Rise Against

I Love Pigeon and Warney guys dont get me wrong

but.. we do have 2 seek the future.. our domination of world cricket looked abit.. :S a little while without these 2.. they r heading into the twighlight years now.. no one has really stood up and impressed me 2 come close 2 replacing either warne or mcgrath.

who do u think could?

Anonymous

Juniors
Nicholson, is a quick fix but to old for a future long term replacement IMO.

BTW McGrath took 4/30 in the 2nd innings to finish with match figures of 6/56.

NOt a bad return :D