What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mcguire

WJ

Juniors
Most prolific try scorer in the world?

4 tries in one half is pretty awesome.

screeny

Bench
let him do that against some half decent opposition, not the idiots he was playing on Saturday

WJ

Juniors
screeny said:
let him do that against some half decent opposition, not the idiots he was playing on Saturday

He's done it against decent oposition before.

I wasn't just talking about last night though, in 04 he scored 39 tries and last year despite missing large amounts notched up over 20 tries.

He creates as well, his distribution is very good and he creates alot of our tries.

Calixte

First Grade
He is definitely GB's best prospect in the position.

If he can stay healthy, he could be another in a long line of fantastic GB five-eighths (OK stand-offs if you insist...)

Reminds me a little of Alan Hardisty circa 1969.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I really like Danny McGuire, he is easily the best support player in Super League and he would score bucketloads in any rugby competition going. Even the supposed mighty NRL would see him topping 30 in a decent side.

But I am not convinced about his other attributes, particularly his defense and his kicking.

Against the lesser sides where there is room to move Burrow and McGuire are a devestating combination in the halves. But against the big sides, that combo seems decidedly quiet for some reason, and is often anonymous. Perhaps that will come as they mature.

Lowey3

Juniors
Danny Mcguire

Support play = 10 / 10

Passing = 4 / 10

Creating for others = 3 / 10

Kicking in general play = 1 / 10

Defence = 2 / 10

The lad is so overrated it's unreal. It's shows how poor British talent is why Mcguire is super league's hottest prospect. Compare him to the likes of Tim Smith, Benji Marshall, Karmichael Hunt and it's rather embarrasing.

Dennis Moran was super leagues top try scorer for seasons on the bounce (most of he's try's where down to good support play), this does not make him a class player.

He's one of those players that you only notice when their team scores over 40 points, in the close games he's nowhere to be seen.

WJ

Juniors
Lowey3 said:
Danny Mcguire

Support play = 10 / 10

Passing = 4 / 10

Creating for others = 3 / 10

Kicking in general play = 1 / 10

Defence = 2 / 10

The lad is so overrated it's unreal. It's shows how poor British talent is why Mcguire is super league's hottest prospect. Compare him to the likes of Tim Smith, Benji Marshall, Karmichael Hunt and it's rather embarrasing.

Dennis Moran was super leagues top try scorer for seasons on the bounce (most of he's try's where down to good support play), this does not make him a class player.

He's one of those players that you only notice when their team scores over 40 points, in the close games he's nowhere to be seen.

Close games as in the cc semi 2003?

Or how about the gf 04 when he scored the winning try?

4/10 for passing. Maybe you could refresh your memory of his bullet pass to senior at the kc in the 04 tri nations?

Idiot.

Lowey3

Juniors
WJ said:
Close games as in the cc semi 2003?

Or how about the gf 04 when he scored the winning try?

4/10 for passing. Maybe you could refresh your memory of his bullet pass to senior at the kc in the 04 tri nations?

Idiot.

She was once, twice, three times a lady.

Tim Jonkers scored the winning try in the 2000 grand final - your point ?

Wow one average pass from a half back and you rate him a good passer of the ball ? Ricky Bibey has a better passing and kicking game.

WJ

Juniors
Lowey3 said:
She was once, twice, three times a lady.

Tim Jonkers scored the winning try in the 2000 grand final - your point ?

Wow one average pass from a half back and you rate him a good passer of the ball ? Ricky Bibey has a better passing and kicking game.

Tim Jonkers is now playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. He did pretty well out of it all.

If rickey bibey had a better passing and kicking game wigan wouldn't have released him to a lesser club.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
McGuire is a class player. When I saw Leeds play live the other week, he was running the team. He does run off the back of an effective forward pack though.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Maguire is good, but I hate to break it too you, is not as good as you think. He does have a poor kicking and passing game. However he makes up for it with his vision and speed off the mark. He is above average in terms of 5/8ths but well behind Marshall/Barrett/Lockyer/Prince/etc of the NRL. Just my thoughts.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Maguire is good, but I hate to break it too you, is not as good as you think. He does have a poor kicking and passing game. However he makes up for it with his vision and speed off the mark. He is above average in terms of 5/8ths but well behind Marshall/Barrett/Lockyer/Prince/etc of the NRL. Just my thoughts.

He is one of those players who would look like the best player in the world at a winning NRL or Super League club. He is the finest support player going and is incredibly hard to stop. He would finish top scorer in the NRL if he played for the best side in that season.

Put him in an average or poor side and he would be anonymous. Thats his GB chances gone then.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Looks like he'd be better suited to fullback. Drifiting into the attacking line, Lockyer style, with his support play and speed, backing up ball playing fowards like Sonny Bill and he'd be even more deadly.

Luke Robinson is a much brighter halves prospect for GB though.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Fairleigh Good! said:
He is one of those players who would look like the best player in the world at a winning NRL or Super League club. He is the finest support player going and is incredibly hard to stop. He would finish top scorer in the NRL if he played for the best side in that season.

Put him in an average or poor side and he would be anonymous. Thats his GB chances gone then.

Says to me he should be a fullback not a 5/8!

Lowey3

Juniors
I said exactly the same.

He's more suited to fullback - he reminds me of Dennis Moran but with a step.

THRUM HALL

Juniors
Mcguire-Hast speed, reads the role of Support player well, creates a bit but not enough for the wholeteam and isnt a leader or motivator like a number 6 should be. Where is his leadership skills? Overrated for me and would maybe better on the Wing for GB and come looking for the ball rather than a pivot and he cant really kick or control a game-like most British Half Backs overrated because he does well in the Easy Super league but then is not so good on the International stage

JasonE

Bench
THRUM HALL said:
like most British Half Backs overrated because he does well in the Easy Super league but then is not so good on the International stage

Thats a myth, Danny has started twice at #6 and once at 7 for GB, they won all 3 and he played very well in those games. He also played great v Australia for England playing fullback.

THRUM HALL

Juniors
he cant kick, cant marshall his team around the park, suspect tackling. Compare mcguire to Johns, Marshall, Thurston and Jones and see the big difference!

WJ

Juniors
THRUM HALL said:
he cant kick, cant marshall his team around the park, suspect tackling. Compare mcguire to Johns, Marshall, Thurston and Jones and see the big difference!

Compare most players to those and they will look sh*t.

Mcguire is a good player in his own right. Since when did everyone on here become expert coaches, wing? fullback?:lol:

He hasn't once played there under tony smith. I think i trust his judgement over anyone here.

Lowey3

Juniors
WJ said:
Compare most players to those and they will look sh*t.

Mcguire is a good player in his own right. Since when did everyone on here become expert coaches, wing? fullback?:lol:

He hasn't once played there under tony smith. I think i trust his judgement over anyone here.

The same coach who cocked up big time with he's selection in the Challenge cup Final.

The same coach who decided to go into a season short on props and plays one of the worlds best second rowers at prop.

Your a brave man! ;-)

Latest posts