What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McLinden

Kris_man

Bench
Prodigiousman, are you going out of your way to disagree with me? cos if you think McLinden in 1998 was anything less than f*cking brilliant, then you've got problems.

thickos said:
Gotta disagree here. If Schif wasn't the brilliant defender that he is, we would have lost a lot more games than the 14 we lost this season. His cover defence when our backline screwed up AGAIN as the ball went wide is testimony to him. He is a brilliant positional fullback and his defence, IMO, is the best in the comp in that position.
so we lose by a small amount instead of a large amount cos of Schif - who cares? when an opposition player makes a break and there's no support, then Schif's great, but if he has players in support, then there's nothing Schif or anyone else could do to stop the try. i just don't like the idea of putting a guy at fullback purely cos of his defensive capabilities. to me, that's just negative football. i'm not saying a fullback's defence isn't important, but i am saying that after the wingers, it's the least important.

Kris_man

Bench
SOULS 04 said:
but schif isnt just a defensive fullback... he's the whole package
i knew someone was gonna say that. it doesn't change my point tho - that choosing one fullback over another because of his defensive proficiency is silly.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kris_man said:
thickos said:
Gotta disagree here. If Schif wasn't the brilliant defender that he is, we would have lost a lot more games than the 14 we lost this season. His cover defence when our backline screwed up AGAIN as the ball went wide is testimony to him. He is a brilliant positional fullback and his defence, IMO, is the best in the comp in that position.
so we lose by a small amount instead of a large amount cos of Schif - who cares? when an opposition player makes a break and there's no support, then Schif's great, but if he has players in support, then there's nothing Schif or anyone else could do to stop the try. i just don't like the idea of putting a guy at fullback purely cos of his defensive capabilities. to me, that's just negative football. i'm not saying a fullback's defence isn't important, but i am saying that after the wingers, it's the least important.

Yea but schif stops more 2on1 and 3on1's then any other fullback, its not many but i remember at least 6 2one1s and 1 3on1's that schif shut down...

Best defencive fullback in the game, any other fullback and we miss the 8 last year and by a fair margin