What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McLinden

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Prodigiousman said:
raiders_lover_18 said:
I heard it first off Ken Suclife. (No idea how to spell it) To be honest I was stunned, stunned! If we sign Fielden it all makes sense and will be a good trade if you can call it one! If someone can tell me why Fielden would be released from his club then I will believe the Fielden Rumours!

You mean 'old sexy eyes... the male model from Mudgee!'!!!

We all know who Prod's icon is now ;-) :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
Raider_Azz said:
Which means IT WASN'T MANAGEMENTS FAULT BAY AND GREENEYED ;-)

It just confirms my opinion. They didn't attempt to keep him. I have put my views already so I won't repeat them.

greeneyed

First Grade
On WIN TV news tonight:

The focus of the story was on filling the void left by McLinden's departure and the shock felt in the club when he announced he was leaving.

Training at the club today focussed on routines that are designed to measure the players' fitness levels. However, the big talking point amongst all the players was the departure of the former NRL rookie of the year.

Lincoln Withers said it was a huge shock and the announcement hit all the players like a bolt from the blue. Asked whether he was a candidate for the halves now, Withers said he has played half previously at the Tigers, though last year with St George he played most from dummy half. But he was hoping for a senior role with the club in whatever position, and thought that maybe McLinden's departure offered him greater opportunity to do that.

Terry Campese was also interviewed, and said he likes playing in the backsand hoped he could establish himself in the halves. However, he is "still growing" and he seemed to acknowledge he could end up in the forwards.....

Sean Ruttgerson is back in a guest stint training with the club in the offseason. He talked about the increasing trend for younger and younger players in the NRL going to the ESL, and said it is "not so much a retirement home" as it once was.

The report noted that others such as Carney, Dobson, and Zillman were also in the mix for the halves.

And finally, it was reported that new PL coach, David Furner will arrive at the club this week.

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
edabomb said:
What is to be gained from throwing an 18yr old into the deep end when you have no real realistic chance at winning the comp?? Carney deserves to start a season in first grade and build from there, not be thrown in at the end of one with nothing to gain. The way the Knights blooded Johns in round 1 1994.

when you cant win the comnp it means you have nothing left to lose and everything to gain, starting fresh you have EVERYTHING to lose. Had he been given a good run last season he would start this season knowing what to expect and a tad more experienced, he wouldnt have to adapt to the pace of NRL footy cause he would already be adapted.

It boogles the mind as to why this didnt happen

No. At the end of the season in crunch time if Carney had turned in a few lousy performances his confidence would of been dealt a blow. Haven't you learnt anything from us blooding all these rookies too young over the years and then wondering why they never came good. Give him some time.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Rutcho, got no problem with him but whats he doing back? Please please dont tell me that he will be the extra forward we take on... i know we need a prop but not that badly... dont get me wrong he wasnt a bad player, just not particulally good, his claim to fame is that Gasnier tackle

Raider_69

Post Whore
edabomb said:
Raider_69 said:
edabomb said:
What is to be gained from throwing an 18yr old into the deep end when you have no real realistic chance at winning the comp?? Carney deserves to start a season in first grade and build from there, not be thrown in at the end of one with nothing to gain. The way the Knights blooded Johns in round 1 1994.

when you cant win the comnp it means you have nothing left to lose and everything to gain, starting fresh you have EVERYTHING to lose. Had he been given a good run last season he would start this season knowing what to expect and a tad more experienced, he wouldnt have to adapt to the pace of NRL footy cause he would already be adapted.

No. At the end of the season in crunch time if Carney had turned in a few lousy performances his confidence would of been dealt a blow. Haven't you learnt anything from us blooding all these rookies too young over the years and then wondering why they never came good. Give him some time.

thats a possibility but at the start of a season if he takes a while to adjust more pressure is placed on him cause we arnt performing, then fans become increasingly frustrated and if things do come through quickly with so much to lose he may himself back in reggies

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
edabomb said:
Raider_69 said:
edabomb said:

thats a possibility but at the start of a season if he takes a while to adjust more pressure is placed on him cause we arnt performing, then fans become increasingly frustrated and if things do come through quickly with so much to lose he may himself back in reggies

I'd prefer to see him in at the start of the season though. Plus we have Smith next year who will take a lot of the pressure off him. If he had of been bought in this year he would of been our sole playmaker.....

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders 2005 said:
:lol: I reckon Raiders Azz...theres no point...there too old to understand. :lol:

spelling 2005 :)

yes too old to understand .... if I had a $ for every time I've heard that ol chestnut :lol: :lol:

mike83au

Juniors
McLinden London-bound, Canberra's salary cap eases (SMH)
By Steve Mascord in Warrington
November 10, 2004 - 2:07AM

Less than 72 hours after flatly denying he would head to England, Canberra utility Mark McLinden has agreed to terms with London.

The move will free up valuable salary cap space for the Raiders and intensify speculation they are to swoop for Bradford and Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden, but chief executive Simon Hawkins said: "I can categorically guarantee Stuart will not be here in 2005."

McLinden was first touted as a replacement at the Broncos for Wigan-bound Denis Moran late last week, but when contacted by the Herald on Saturday said: "Simon Woolford and Clinton Schifcofske have both been the subject of speculation like this lately, and both of them were to do with England.

"There was nothing in either of those rumours. There's nothing in this." Asked if he would be staying at Canberra for the remainder of his contract, he said: "Yes.

"You are the first person to mention it to me."

But sources in Britain say McLinden was offered to British clubs for £100,000 a season as recently as last Wednesday night. Wigan could not afford him.

He told his team-mates at a 3pm training session in Canberra yesterday and the club made a public announcement an hour later.

Asked about London's imminent announcement, McLinden's manager Steve Gillis said yesterday: "He looks like he's going there. It's going to be done today.

"He has had a clause in his contact for four years allowing him to go to England and he was an inch away from joining Castleford last year. It's always been on the agenda.

"It is not ideal because the season is about to start but Canberra were good enough to acknowledge the clause was there."

Fielden - who was coached by Raiders boss Matthew Elliott at the Bulls - has repeatedly stated his desire to play in the NRL but has played down talk of suspending his deal with the Yorkshire club for a year to dip his toes in the water down under.

New Zealand halfback Thomas Leuluai still hasn't secured a release to join Parramatta. It is understood the Warriors want $50,000 in compensation for him and the Eels are only willing to pay $20,000.

But Eels coach Brian Smith said: "It's my understanding that a fee was requested and we agreed to pay that fee."

Warriors spokesman Richard Becht added: "He is still our player. Negotiations are still in progress. As you know, our intial preference was that he find a club in England."

Becht said he could not comment on the details of negotiations.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Whats the point of having space under the cap if no ones on the market, if this had been done earleir we might have been able to keep Wiki or buy someone of value like Orford

SOULS 04

Juniors
looking more likeley that fieldon won't be here....... it has ded set been denied by our top guys now... not looking good

raidersman

Juniors
absolutely gutted at losing macca :cry: n yeah, we coudda bought someone valuable or kept wiki :x This totally sux..n it doenst look like fielden is coming either :evil:

Latest posts