What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MEDIA RELEASE re: Steve Turner

roosters06

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
yes but if it not written down on paper than its useless gold coast are a top[ grade side now they shouldnt be making mistakes like this

shows how little you understand about contracts and agreements. They dont have to be written to be held as legally valid.

In this case, the fact that he agreed to terms - including a salary and length, constitutes a legally binding agreement. The titans are well within their rights to fight the second, un-lawful (it is unlawful because it breaches another legal agreement) contract with a rival club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
All over bar the shouting...

NRL refuses to register Turner contract

Written by: League news

21/08/2006

The National Rugby League has refused to register a three-year contract between Melbourne winger Steve Turner and his club. It means the 21-year-old Turner will be playing for the Gold Coast Titans next year unless he decides to sit out the next three seasons.

Gold Coast boss Michael Searle says the NRL's decision vindicates the Titans' hardline position on Turner, who agreed to join the fledgling club in June before having a change of heart and re-signing with the Storm.
www.leagueunlimited.com

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=11850

doggone

Juniors
Turner must be crazy. 21 years of age world at his feet and The Gold Coast nice new club and friends. Ask him the same question this time next year??

Steve you lucky bastard.

Dave Q

Coach
He makes a promise to the Titans, things settle, melbourne management catch him in a vulnerable moment and he breaches his contract with you.

If he didnt think that the contract you sent him, matched the promises you made, he should have jacked up about it ages ago. He should have insisted that you take him off your roster, website and out of your PR machine.

Him and his advisors just sat there. In the meantime, Mebourne probably missed out on some signings they wanted and with some stealth, moved in for the kill.

Whatever happened, I dont think the NRL should have stepped in but I also dont like this idea of players sulking on the sidelines for a year or two.

If its found he had a valid contract with you, he must play and play in good faith. He should do so whether he likes it or not. If Melbourne find a loophole then so be it.

At the end of the day, your recruitment team has been top-shelf. A great way to ressurrect. Carney is your best signing for mine.

And theres no good Turner saying that "I just dont want to be disliked" which he said earlier this week. Clubs put a lot of effort into their recruitment and make many sacrifices. Someone somehere aint going to be too pleased.

As said earlier, he must account for his actions. Its a tough game, on and off the paddock.

PARANoIR

Bench
After reading the Sunday Mail today, it is clear that Steve Turner DOES NOT want to play for the Titans, so if Searle had any brains they'd let him sign for the Storm coz there is no point wasting money on a player that doesnt wanna play for you, when you could be signing someone else who's head will be in the game.

Fathead

Bench
The Titans are doing the RIGHT thing. Its all about precidents. Turner has a legallly binding contract and either has to go or sits the seasons out.
I bet if the storm were on the bottom of the ladder he would be at the Titans very quick.
Even if he refuses to play - I want him sitting on the sideline peeling oranges.

murraymob

Coach
Todays papers have turner as willing to go to court to get out of playing for titans. Titans have no choice but to fight if they dont their are a least 2 other players who have changed their mind on wanting to play their

Willow

Assistant Moderator
murraymob said:
Todays papers have turner as willing to go to court to get out of playing for titans. Titans have no choice but to fight if they dont their are a least 2 other players who have changed their mind on wanting to play their
No other players are trying to break their contracts.
juanfarkall said:
If the Titans wimp out on this they may as well not bother entering a team.
Totally agree.

Turner can fight if he wants. But if he was to win, it would open up all sorts of problems... and it has the potential to effect a number of clubs and the NRL itself.

I sometimes wonder... do people really think Turner is the only player to agree to a verbal contract? And do people really think the Titans are the only club to ever secure a player via a verbal contract?

If Turner was to legally challenge this and win, its not only bad for the Titans, it would be bad for the competition.
We don't need a mass of imagination to work out why the Titans have the NRL's backing.

Anyway, its my view he can't win... and perhaps one of the ESL clubs will throw him a bucket. Then he'll find out how far away Melbourne really is.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And a controvesial decision to select him. Lyon was rated higher than Turner. He was also denied rep opportunities whilst in exile.