What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media Tide changing in WA?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch 9 showing the Sunday footy show AND the NRL game at a decent time, Sunday Times running Reds reports every week, the West having a full page NRL preview. Have the WA media finally forgiven the culling of the Western Reds? I have not seen such positive RL coverage in the 9 years I have been here.

All points to very positive signs for the future of the game here.

Nuke

Staff member
Ch9 won't be showing the Sunday NRL Footy Show. I guarentee it.

I know that's what it says in the tv guides, but Ch9 (Perth) provided them with mistaken information. Remember all those times in recent seasons where -on a Thursday night- they have the NRL Footy Show down at 9:30pm in those guides? Never happens.

They'd get their programming from the east, and not notice it says NRL and not AFL - therefore when they put the aussie rules one on, they're not aware the tv guides are saying NRL.

Dad noticed the same thing in this morning's guide, turned the tv on to see, only to be faced with some show about sharks.
Basically, what I'm saying is that regarding this show anyway, don't get your hopes up. They stopped showing the Sunday Footy Show over here in about 1996 and I think that's the way it's gonna stay ... possibly until the WA Reds are back in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
oh well, just going on the Sunday Times TV guide, didn't tune in as didn't see it till this afternoon. Still getting to see the Tigers game at 2pm (even with all the ads) was brilliant!

Nuke

Staff member
Agreed. I was really hoping Ch9 (Perth) would show Sunday Football at 2pm again in 2008 ... so thank heavens they are. What's also great to see is that WIN is also showing the Sunday arvo game on Sunday afternoon and not middle of the night like they were last year.

Now, the next thing we need is for a radio station to broadcast the 2GB calls like the past couple of seasons.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Yah, I think it's a F*ck up from the printers about the sunday NRL footy show.

I remember around 2 years ago the same add was placed, so I raced like a madman to subiaco markets getting my food, coming back in a sweat only to find it's the AFL version.

I wasn't going to be sucker punched two times in a row.

The west's TV guide from last week also had thursday as 9:30pm NRl footy show, 12:15am AFL footy show. I knew that was the wrong way around.

However the 2/3 page season preview was a pleasant surprise in the west.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
i think the big preview was only there coz its round 1.....hope im wrong though, we'll find out this friday

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to see the Reds game report get prominent reporting inc the great logo in the Sunday Times. Well done to the Reds mamagement on getting the game report to them promptly on teh Saturday so they can feature it on the Sunday. At the moment it is generally AFL loads of pages, RU 3 pages, soccer 3 pages RL 1 page in the Sunday Times.

j5o6hn

Juniors
yeah Red and still nothing on Radio or TV,the game on Sunday is great but the local ABC as far as I know only give NRL score if they remember it I can comment about commerical TV as I dont watch it,I have pay for RL and to me 99% of what ( 10 and 7 show is crap,otherwise Go The Reds

Nuke

Staff member
I've heard a couple of adverts on 94.5 promoting the Reds first home game against the 'Cronulla Sharks' (their wording, not mine). Not a huge amount of promotion, but every bit helps ... especially on Perth's highest rating radio station.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another full colour page in the Sunday Times pull out AND a report of the WARL pre season games in the main sports section. Now just need the Saturday West to realise RL is played in Perth!

Nuke

Staff member
I know it's not the WA media, but there's a full-page article in the current edition of Rugby League Week on the WA Reds ... for those who haven't seen it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cheers Nuke, I'll have to go out and get one. Usually don't bother on principle seeing as they ignore the WARL.