What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melb still in denial

innsaneink

Referee
Melbourne Storm insist they would have won NRL competition again this year

THEY'VE been disgraced and disqualified, but Melbourne Storm have a message for the eight teams that will contest the finals in their absence: we're still the best.

Storm five-eighth Brett Finch revealed the Storm players steadfastly believe they would have defended the crown that was stripped following this year's salary cap scandal.

Taking aim at the NRL ahead of his team's penultimate outing against Wests Tigers tomorrow, Finch labelled the decision to make Melbourne play for nothing this season a "disgrace" and returned fire at critics who believe the illegal Storm has affected the finals chances of certain teams.

"Even now I still can't believe the NRL has let us play the whole season for nothing," Finch told The Daily Telegraph. "It's a disgrace ... you've got guys like [Canberra Raiders president] John McIntyre coming out on their soap box and saying we've cost them a finals spot.

"Well, we're just doing what we've been told to do. Maybe they should've just kicked us out of the
comp - but don't get angry at us. Get angry at the NRL. It was their decision and I still shake my head," Finch added.

Even though four months have passed since the punishment was imposed, Finch said his teammates sometimes forgot they were no longer vying for the premiership.

"There was certainly emotion and adrenalin at the start, but after a month it was like, 'How are we going to get through this?'

"It's really tough now because all the talk is about finals, and we still truly believe we're the best team in the comp.

"You have to check yourself. You hear all the other teams mentioned, but we're not. You momentarily think, 'Why isn't anyone mentioning us?'

"And then you remember why."

Finch is in doubt for tomorrow's clash at Leichhardt Oval with a hand complaint.

Star centre Greg Inglis is also racing the clock to recover from a virus, while Billy Slater has been out of action for much of the week celebrating the birth of his first son, Jake, on Tuesday afternoon.

The Storm have re-signed several members of their generation next to new deals as they look to rebuild.

Dane Nielsen, Bryan Norrie, Justin O'Neill and Rory Kostjasyn have all signed on for two more seasons, while Luke Kelly and Robbie Rochow have extended their contracts until the end of 2011.

The club also officially announced the signing of experienced props Adam Woolnough and Troy Thompson, along with young Warriors winger Elijah Niko.

The Storm's final home game against Newcastle on September 5 is a sellout. The club priced tickets at $1 as a thank you to fans.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-again-this-year/story-e6frfgbo-1225911095916

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Don't blame the NRL Finchy. If you want to compete maybe the players should offer to repay a total of 1.3 million dollars out of their own pocket to charity, no tax deductions. like they will.

LESStar58

Referee
f**k, I'm looking forward to our last home game for the year. It counts for f**k all but all the emotion about it is going to be something to rival first home game in 98.

For the record I would have said prior to 22/4/10 that we would have gone back to back and for the most part I'm pessemistic about teams I support winning anything!

And the Harlem Globetrotters would dominate the NBA.

If the Melbourne Storm squad think that then they should of proven it all year right up until Round 26, rather than grading half their Presidents Cup side for sh*ts and giggles. Personally, I reckon it shows more of how much a halfwit Brett Finch is rather than any percieved (albeit true) arrogance on behalf of the Storm playing group.

Big Pete

Referee
"Well, we're just doing what we've been told to do. Maybe they should've just kicked us out of the comp but don't get angry at us. Get angry at the NRL. It was their decision and I still shake my head," said Finch.

Doesn't sound like he's in denial, just sounds like he's agreeing with a lot of fans.

little_aza

Juniors
Totally agree with Finchy when he says we would have gone back to back. Ever since the Grand Final last year, I knew that we would have a very strong squad in 2010. With the right motivation, we'd be 1st or 2nd now, and win it easily - there were 1.3 million reasons why we would have.

Next is the real test - next year will prove many right and many wrong. We'll see if Craig really is No-Plans Bellamy like Gaba and co claim, or if the Melbourne fortress-attitude really does anything, or if we paid hugely over market value for duds or not.

_Johnsy

Referee
Ahhh the old motivation line. What happened to integrity and all that other crap your cheating scum club and players were sprouting at that vomitfest press conference.

Maths not a strong point, you'd be sitting in 8th, if you were playing for points all year you would have lost more games.

Sorry guys..can't agree with Finchy's comments..yes the team could have potentially won the comp this year but I don't really think there is any merit in him coming out now and stating this when the season is almost over and all is history and they were fielding a team over the cap.

The club needs to look forward and not dwell on the penalties imposed.

A hypothetical...if Storm win the comp next year would people on this forum still call them cheats ??.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Good point, what crown are they defending? The last NRL premiers were crowned in 2008, Manly-Warringah.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Sorry guys..can't agree with Finchy's comments..yes the team could have potentially won the comp this year but I don't really think there is any merit in him coming out now and stating this when the season is almost over and all is history and they were fielding a team over the cap.

The club needs to look forward and not dwell on the penalties imposed.

A hypothetical...if Storm win the comp next year would people on this forum still call them cheats ??.

If they won the 2011 title then they'd have done it legally and nobody could say they didn't deserve that title as a playing group. They'd

However, I would feel a little uneasy about it simply because they were able to retain/sign players off the back of their cheating who otherwise wouldn't have been there and have maintained a pretty strong team for 2011 because of it.

Helen

Juniors
However, I would feel a little uneasy about it simply because they were able to retain/sign players off the back of their cheating who otherwise wouldn't have been there and have maintained a pretty strong team for 2011 because of it.

Have to agree with this. Cam Smith for example may have been at another club had the pot not been illegally sweetened for him.

This could be the case for some of the other 'elite' players the Storm also have.

I think until those 'elite' players have moved on. Be it to another club or retire the 'stigma' will stick.