What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne.. a cure for insomnia

Dani

Immortal
I've described quite a few of our games this year as boring.

But as long as we're winning i couldn't give a flying f**k.

the Lock8

Juniors
From our point of view, a win is a win. We aren't playing great attacking football at the moment, but then we haven't been allowed to. You can only play as well as your opponents let you, and anyone who reckons that the last few weeks haven't been really tough games where both sides were really switched on, doesn't know much about league. I'll take all the tough wins by two points before the easy ones by 50 any day.

brooksy19

Bench
I actually miss seeing Inglis in open space, hes great for the game but hes no 5/8. why do we have to turn GREAT centres into boring 5/8's taking hit ups and passing.

goboggo

Juniors
gregstar said:
how many sides would swap their "exciting" position on the table with melbourne?

Not me.

I'm a Parra fan. I've enjoyed watching my team this year. One week we win by 30, then we get smashed, then we lose to Manly 32-24, then we beat the Dogs 34-22. It's been a rollercoaster and I've had a ball watching the young talent at our club.

All of Melbourne's talent gets funnelled into the same system, and yes, it is boring. I had enough of seeing talent funnelled into a system over the last 10 years, and I'm not one of those Parra fans that hates Brian Smith. This year I've been able to see naturally gifted players allowed to play to their abilites, and their abilities have dictated the style we've been playing, rather than have their abilities coached to fit into a particular style of play.

And Parra's system never won us a comp anyway, so it's easy for me to pick individual flamboyance over a system. Maybe my attitude would be different if we won a comp. If the Storm win I'm sure their fans will be happy with their boring style, but if they don't then they'll look back on the season and it won't really seem so good. Even if Parra get knocked out early I can say this year has been thoroughly enjoyable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it works use it! The ladder doesn't lie. They play a structured game with odd flashes of brilliance when its needed. I think they are missing a 6 but you can't have everything!

goboggo said:
Not me.

I'm a Parra fan. I've enjoyed watching my team this year. One week we win by 30, then we get smashed, then we lose to Manly 32-24, then we beat the Dogs 34-22. It's been a rollercoaster and I've had a ball watching the young talent at our club.

All of Melbourne's talent gets funnelled into the same system, and yes, it is boring. I had enough of seeing talent funnelled into a system over the last 10 years, and I'm not one of those Parra fans that hates Brian Smith. This year I've been able to see naturally gifted players allowed to play to their abilites, and their abilities have dictated the style we've been playing, rather than have their abilities coached to fit into a particular style of play.

And Parra's system never won us a comp anyway, so it's easy for me to pick individual flamboyance over a system. Maybe my attitude would be different if we won a comp. If the Storm win I'm sure their fans will be happy with their boring style, but if they don't then they'll look back on the season and it won't really seem so good. Even if Parra get knocked out early I can say this year has been thoroughly enjoyable.

I wont look back at see the season as a disappointment if Storm don't succeed...Bellamy has established a good strong culture of discipline rather than produce a team that is up and down every game.

goboggo

Juniors
kia ora storm said:
I wont look back at see the season as a disappointment if Storm don't succeed...Bellamy has established a good strong culture of discipline rather than produce a team that is up and down every game.

yeah fair enough I can understand where you're coming from. But as a fan of a team who had a good strong culture of discipline for 10 years I'm prefering the up and down team at the moment, that's all.

flamin

Juniors
Melbourne are usually one of the most exciting teams. They are so well drilled its brilliant to watch. The past month though theyve really lacked attacking flair.

And to all those saying they are playing effective but boring football aren't you just equating success with boringness in rugby league?

flamin said:
Melbourne are usually one of the most exciting teams. They are so well drilled its brilliant to watch. The past month though theyve really lacked attacking flair.

And to all those saying they are playing effective but boring football aren't you just equating success with boringness in rugby league?

If 2 points on the NRL table = boring footy then I would take 2 points any day.

Happy for other teams to play razzle dazzle and lose...;-)

kav

Juniors
kia ora storm said:
If 2 points on the NRL table = boring footy then I would take 2 points any day.

Happy for other teams to play razzle dazzle and lose...;-)

I prefer my team to play attractive football and win. Is that too much to ask?

Kav

Dutchy

Immortal
I love it when Manly plays its boring and grinding style of football. Forward dominated league is how the game should be played.

Azkatro

First Grade
flamin said:

Not at all. Take a look at the Wests Tigers run to the title in '05. They were great to watch and pretty well drilled at the same time. But their players demonstrated plenty of skill and flair as well.

It seems like Melbourne are harbouring this modern prototype of 105kg super athletic clones who can follow instructions and tackle all day. I think it loosely relates to the argument that a lot of modern players come off a production line of supreme athleticism in favour of skill. Just look at guys like Inglis and Slater, we know how skilful they are but when do they get the leverage to show it?

Inferno

Coach
The Pete Sampras of the Rugby League World.

I sure as hell wish my team had won half the games Melbourne had.

Shorty

Staff member
Inferno said:
The Pete Sampras of the Rugby League World.

I sure as hell wish my team had won half the games Melbourne had.
I was going to say,Roger Federer:lol:
So structured and faultless that you find yourself wanting them to lose just so it becomes a bit more interesting.

Noa

First Grade
Its unfair to label us boring all the time but there are times I get frustrated with the style we play.

In the market we play in its vital that the coach encourages an entertaining style of play.

At any one game here in Melbourne we might get a couple of hundred people going to game of League for the first time and its important to leave them with a good impression of the greatest game of them all.

Latest posts