What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne back on Origin map

Routy21

Juniors
"MELBOURNE may be awarded a State of Origin showpiece next year as part of a push from Victorian officials to increase the profile of rugby league in the southern state."

"Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has lobbied the State Government to construct a 25,000-seat
facility to host rugby league, union and soccer.
Provided the project gains government funding then the Australian Rugby League will consider putting Melbourne back on the Origin map to host one match during next year's series."

Great news for all those League supports south of the Murray!!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It will make a joke of the AFL origin series.

Most AFL fans and players are more interrersted in club footy than SOO.

dimitri

First Grade
more importantly

there was talk of having the tri nations opener down there to coincide with the spring racing carnivall

this would be excellent

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Good to see them trying to put rep games down in Melbourne.

I hope they do the same for the 2008 World Cup.

Dani

Immortal
one or the other, wouldnt bother me, although if i mention SoO to non-NRL people, they know what im talking about, if i say a test, they dont

c_eagle

Juniors
Hoggy said:
I'd prefer a Test down here instead of SOO.

Agreed. What the hell is the point of play a match contested by two foreign states? At least the people of Victoria can identify with their national team.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Agreed, play a test match down there, they got sell out crowds that last few times theyve had test matches. :D

perth sharkie

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Agreed, play a test match down there, they got sell out crowds that last few times theyve had test matches. :D

Good point. It would also make the AFL look stupid because they can't do the same thing. :lol:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
This is f*ckin stupid.

NSW and Queensland, neither of them represent Victoria.

Australia does.

Also being next year, it means 1 of Sydney's 2 games will be taken away.

82,500 seat Telstra to what ?

25,000 Olympic, 50,000 Telstra dome ?

Take a test, we lose nothing moving a test, becuase the crowd is going to be the same, and there will be some home support.

SOO will be like both teams playing an away match with no one caring who to support.

perth sharkie

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
This is f*ckin stupid.

Australia does.

Take a test, we lose nothing moving a test, becuase the crowd is going to be the same, and there will be some home support.

SOO will be like both teams playing an away match with no one caring who to support.

Melbourne had then record breaking SOO crowds at the MCG in the 1990s.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
What confidence do you have that will be reached again ?

Remember, it's going to be one of Sydney's matches, so we are sacrificing 82,500 seats.

I have no confidence that will be matched in Melbourne.

I do have confidnce that a 25-30,000 seat game of Australia/New Zeland will be matched however.

Dani

Immortal
just because victoria isn't represented, doesnt mean there will be no interest.
victorians love any kind of sport.

either will be great for Rugby League down here.

Kurt Angle said:
This is f*ckin stupid.

Australia does.

Typical Sydneysiders Point of View.

The highest Crowd attendence is 107,000 St G v Melbourne 1999

and the State of Orgin Crowd at the MCG would be 2nd or 3rd highest crowd. It was close to the highest pre-1999

So come Parra-fan i have very good confidence that there will be 80,000 to the SoO but The NRL does need to Advertise.

So Come on ParraFan, Please give Iceland a go.

Hoggy

Bench
Melbourne won't get 80,000 to an Origin, anyone that thinks they will are dead set stupid.

30,000 maybe.

We got 88,000 or whatever it was in the mid 90s because it was a new fad, something brand new and exciting. The next year was like 50,000 from memory, and then 27,000? I could be wrong but the crowds went down dramatically.

A Test is the obvious way to go, could have Orford, Hill, Slater and Smith play for Australia - hometown heroes. Would be fantastic. Chan and Kidwell would also play for NZ.

As for Origin, let's wait for Victoria's own team...

2. Jake Webster
5. Timana Tahu

Int.

Latest posts