What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Storm...

Eddie.

Bench
If the melbourne storm were ever going to take off it was after their premiership, they have failed to build on their supporter base

If they won 5 premierships in a row i doubt they could attract more than 10 000

Seriously in the melbourne papers you would not know league existed.

Storm to the Gold Coast, central Coast 16th team would be ideal in my mind, even adelaide or perth is a better option than melbourne

i can see im going to cop it from all angles now

Preniers

Juniors
Why must you lable uy tossers just because at the NRL meeting they discussed Melbourne moving. You are taking it out on the wrong person mate.

Seriously in the melbourne papers you would not know league existed.

Are you in Melb??? Our exposure has been picking up this year and it is not hard to find an article each day (at least 1) on the Storm. The biggest hurdle the we face is that these bullshit rumours are brought up constantly by the frigging sydney based media, which creates uncertainty as to the long term viability of the Storm in Melbourne. This keeps fans away, because why would people want to become passionate followers of a club with the prospect of having it ripped away from them being flashed in their faces constantly????? Having been a Fitzroy fan in the AFL, and a North Melbourne Giants fan in the NBL, I know what it feels like to lose the club you love, and it is in many ways like losing a loved family member. I don't blame peole from protecting themselves against this type of hurt, and it is this that prevents people from throwing their love and support behind the club. For the club to succeed, it needs the media to understand that they are here to stay and to promote this fact. This needs to be drummed into the media by the NRL, NRL sponsors and everyone else who has a role in the NRL.
As soon as the club is recognised as being a stable entity by the media, the fans will come back and show their love for the Mighty MELBOURNE Storm!!!

Mal Meninga

Bench
What are the junior numbers\quality like in Melbourne?

I hope Storm stays, and rather re-locate one of the Sydney teams.

Big-Steve

Juniors
nospam49 said:
Stormwarning[c said:
]Not this again.....yawn, can't people in Sydney worry about something else. :roll: :?

You say it was discussed at a meeting yesterday.....by who?

If you say at the NRL meeting to discussed the 16th team issue, wrong.

The NRL and News Ltd are working together on a 10 year business plans for Storm (all having the club based in Melbourne).

There is also a shorter term business plan in place.

People WE AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

The problem you guys down there are fighting is that a group of about 10 people in the Sydney Media keep pushing the "Lets move the Storm" issue going.

Most people dont listen to the comments, but some do and this "If he siad it it must be true".

Keep in tmind....the same people were not to long ago asking "Why do we have the Warriors instead of Souths" and one of them even once said "We've lost the fight in Canberra to union, the Raiders should move".

What you guys need to understand is that clubs and fans in Sydney are still feeling the effects of the Super League War. There are issues that still need to be resolved and while you would have us all move on people simply can't let go that easerly just because some up start like Murdoch moves in. Many fans have followed their team for a number of generations

Until the NRL admitts that these issues exist and activly does something about it talk of Melbourne relocating etc will continue.

It's just the reality of the post Super League world and an administration that refuses to fix what it broke.

Surandy

Bench
No, actually it's just a beat up to sell a newspaper or get better ratings. Absolute load of crap with no basis whatsoever in reality. I think too many "journalists" have been watching "reality tv".

Storm are here to stay, and our junior force is starting to gain some momentum. Just remember juniors don't become first grade players overnight. It takes time to develop and nuture true talent. By all reliable reports there is some Melbourne grown talent already playing for the Storm's feeder club in Brisbane Norths. And that doesn't count the junior talent playing for Victoria against other representative areas. Like Trent (I didn't get his surname) who will play in a curtain-raiser prior to the Storm vs Raiders match in two weeks time.

knights04

Bench
The last thing the NRL needs is for the Storm to re-locate. It was a brave move to put a new team into AFL heartland and it still appears NRL has little affect in this region. It's bad enough AFL is growing more popular in Syd and Bris without thinking about a possible 4th Aus. Super 12 team. Rather than bring in a 16th team the NRL should concentrate on building juniors in Mel. and a Mel 1st division and Jersey Flegg sides that reside in Sydney for NSWRL.

Surely

Post Whore
p*ss off Red_Vd .... moving any side, melbourne or the sharks to the coast is a death sentence for the club.

You may hate the sharks .. but that is a pretty selfish opinion u have, so keep it to yourself.

As for moving the storm .. thats another joke in itself, they have been a successfull side since entering the competition and a flying the flag for league an an AFL mad state, leave them where they are, they are doing a great job.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Big-Steve said:
What you guys need to understand is that clubs and fans in Sydney are still feeling the effects of the Super League War. There are issues that still need to be resolved and while you would have us all move on people simply can't let go that easerly just because some up start like Murdoch moves in. Many fans have followed their team for a number of generations

Until the NRL admitts that these issues exist and activly does something about it talk of Melbourne relocating etc will continue.

It's just the reality of the post Super League world and an administration that refuses to fix what it broke.

One thing I have learnt about issue.......no matter what you do they will always be there, no matter what. Generations pass their issue on to younger generations and the cycle just keeps going. GET OVER IT

But going from some of the posts the only way some would have you believe to fix it is to close the whole competition down......thats right, pack up your gear get your ball and go home, no more Rugby League. :? :? :cry:

:roll: That would solve all those people in Sydney that don't have any respect for the future of our great game and those who have worked and stared in the game since formation.

Now before you say anything about what would some Melbourne bloke know, my family has a long history with Parramatta and yes there was ISSUES there, but we moved on and GOT OVER IT

A lot of issues need to be fixed and some will never be, it is like two teams mergering, what do you do, follow the merge team or not follow any?

Looking at your atvar, you follow the merge team, why.......coz of the love of the game, the love of the history of your team, or for the future of the new team to keep the history of the old live on?

Either way we all have issues everyday, it is only the very few that let them fester. GET OVER IT

......Here endth the lesson.........

simon says

First Grade
They have been successful on the field,but you would hardly call them an off field success.

My issue with the Storm is;that other regions have footy mad fans screaming for a team,Melbourne has one and gets 7000 people a game.
My second issue with Melbourne is that no one from Melbourne actually plays for them.Its basically anothe QLD side with a few NSW players.

I know this sounds harsh but I have no issue with a relocation to GC or CC.At least you would get crowds and people representing their district.

Let Melbourne have their AFL,who gives a toss.Evryone is too worried about league going all over Oz.Its not the end of the comp cos the Vics dont have a team.Just one less game we have to travel interstate for.......

Waits for howls of protest....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
simon says said:
My second issue with Melbourne is that no one from Melbourne actually plays for them.Its basically anothe QLD side with a few NSW players.

Really, no one from Melbourne? Since when?

Do you follow the game at all?

You might want to look up the stats for this year.

On you HARRY.

Before making a comment next time know what your talking about.

(I'm not putting the players name as I think you should do the work and find out for yourself)

simon says

First Grade
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
One player,lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know as well as I its an ex-pat QLD side.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
C.B.

It's ok, he still hasn't got over the fact that his club was is only around due to a MERGE.

S.S. let me see one would make you 100% wrong, sounds good to me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beaussie

First Grade
Diehard said:
AFL will ascend to being the undisputed #1 football code in Australia and the only way for Rugby League is down.

Don't kid yourself Diehard, AFL always has and always will be the undisputed No.1 footy code in Australia.

The Storm simply can't cut it in Victoria even with a premiership and regular finals appearances.

Any tips for the result/crowd at Olympic Park this weekend? I predict a Storm victory in front of a crowd of 6,239.