What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne - Who Gives A Toss

greeneyed

First Grade
We not only need the Storm, we need to readmit Adelaide and Perth. This needs to happen soonish, and it would be a disaster to admit the Central Coast in preference to establishing a truly national competition. By all means add the Gold Coast and Wellington too, but only if Adelaide and Perth come in. No more teams should be admitted in NSW. There are already too many teams in Sydney, but if Central Coast can convince a team in Sydney to relocate, then fine.

DIEHARD

----
Adelaide and Perth need to come in but not at the expense of resources that need to be to Melbourne's way. Once Melbourne are running well, we can then move on. What we need to do though and right now is to show the people of Perth and Adelaide that they aren't forgotten.

We need to relocate a few NRL matches there and fight for national TV coverage. You see a sport in a 2nd rate time slot, you think it's second rate.

Adelaide, Perth, have they not been here before. You people are hypocrites - nobody cares about the Lions or the Swans, but the people of Melbourne care about the Storm ? Get real.

NRL - that's a joke as well. The NRL is a News run NSWRL comp after the ARL sold out. Too many peolpe on these boards have the Ribot ' vision '.

Hey, nospam49, go back to TRL and take Machin and co with you. RLFANS does not want you. :evil:

ibeme

First Grade
Adelaide and Perth weren't give a chance to get off the ground. They were sacrificed as part of the reunification of ARL and Superleague. Those cities can't be treated like that again. If teams are going to be built there, they need a long term committment and guarantee from the NRL, just as the Storm needs now.

If rugby league isn't expanding while other codes are, then it's going backwards in the eyes of sponsors and fans. Without those two ingredients, we're left with a sad hostory lesson. What kind of financial support are sponsors going to offer for exposure that is limited to Sydney and Brisbane, when other codes can offer national exposure?

If the other codes are increasing they're fan base, then simple arithmetic tells us that rugby league's fan base is decreasing, apart from those few people who follow all codes.

It's grow or wilt.

DIEHARD

----
You obviously dont know shit mate. The Ribot vision is vastly different to mine, a balance of tradition and progress. Ribot didnt invent the idea of national rugby league, the ARL did in 1993 when they agreed to enter the three new aussie clubs plus Auckland. We just want our national comp back, full of progress and tradition and we want it to have a far chance.

If you had been paying attention you'd possibly comprehend two points, yes Adelaide and Perth were there but they were the victims of the Super League war. And two, no one denies the support for the Lions and Swans, what is debatable is where it comes from but the fact is it took them alot longer than sevens season to get there and the Storm are doing great, and the Swans and Bears/Lions always had the support of the AFL behind them. Where as the NRL lets doubt about the Storm creep in. Who wants to get their heart on a club only to have it taken away from them? Very few.

How about YOU go back to RLFANS, where maybe your ridiculous backward opinions will get some support and you can all slap each others backs. nospam49 may be an arrogant prick but he has a hope for the future and wants what is best for rugby league he attacks you Poms and backward savages to stir you up and maybe YOU will get your act in order. Leave your petty politics out of this.

Leave Australia for the Australians mate, you know shit.

Bring back the 5m rule? Just about shows what sort of a bloke you are, living in the god damn past!

Grantwhy

Juniors
The NRL cares about the Melbourne Storm.

The sponsorship $$$ the NRL gets from having a team in Melbourne is enough to make them care ;-)

Without a presence in Victoria the naming rights to the NRL would be less and if i rember correctly there were stories that without a team in Melbourne Telstra would probably cease their naming rights sponsorship of the NRL.

iggy plop

First Grade
Haaa.. silly pommy cross-eyed gits - you gotta laugh at 'em.

dwibble dwibble dwibble.

The rugby league Pommy git's telling Aussies how to run their comp are even funnier :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nqboy

First Grade
Diehard said:
Adelaide and Perth need to come in but not at the expense of resources that need to be to Melbourne's way. Once Melbourne are running well, we can then move on. What we need to do though and right now is to show the people of Perth and Adelaide that they aren't forgotten.

We need to relocate a few NRL matches there and fight for national TV coverage.

Exactly right, spot on the money, Huzzah. Nice to know there's other intelligent life out there.

olympic park

Juniors
adelaide getting a team again?? i can certainly see the benefit of say perth getting it with a growing population and a thirst for any sports available (one just has to look at how much perth glory has gotten off the ground and has enormous support) but if the gold and central coasts got teams then it is a national competition - not a perfect one but one none the less.

and to the a**wipe who reckons that melbourne shouldnt have a team: crawl back into the hole you came out from which you entered in the early part of last century when there was no need for code expansion!!!

Hoggy

Bench
The Original Eye said:
nobody cares about the Lions or the Swans,

f**k, you're an idiot.

These 2 teams played in a prelim final against each other in Sydney and got over 70,000 to it.

Not to mention all the old South Melbourne and Fitzroy fans that have followed their teams north.

I'd just like to reiterate that you are a f**king idiot.

eelandia

Juniors
The Original Eye said:
Adelaide, Perth, have they not been here before. You people are hypocrites - nobody cares about the Lions or the Swans, but the people of Melbourne care about the Storm ? Get real.

NRL - that's a joke as well. The NRL is a News run NSWRL comp after the ARL sold out. Too many peolpe on these boards have the Ribot ' vision '.

Hey, nospam49, go back to TRL and take Machin and co with you. RLFANS does not want you. :evil:

Agreed that Melbourne are a joke. All this nonsense that we need a team in Melbourne because it is the 2nd largest city in oz is ludicrous. So is the fact we would be a laughing stock calling ourselves the National Rugby League without them.

Having no teams westof the eastern seaboard means calling ourselves the NRL is already off the mark - I'd like to think of us as the International Rugby League considering the Warriors and possibly Wellington rather than limiting ourselves to just the NRL (who really cares about Adelaide. Perth. etc) Their populations are insignificant compared to the untapped markets of the gold coast, central coast and NZ south island.

Why have a team in the comp when we have areas such as the central or gold coast missing out - people that would actually live and breath the game.

Many I speak to in Melbourne say they prefer Union over League anyway - whether that is the fact union is played in their private schools or they view Leaue as a real threat to their crap game I don't know.

Relocate them soon please David Gallop.

Hoggy

Bench
eelandia said:
Agreed that Melbourne are a joke.

Not as much of a joke as the biggest underachieving team of all time.

All this nonsense that we need a team in Melbourne because it is the 2nd largest city in oz is ludicrous. So is the fact we would be a laughing stock calling ourselves the National Rugby League without them.

So you want to kill off league in Melbourne just like the NRL did in Adelaide and Perth?

(who really cares about Adelaide. Perth. etc) Their populations are insignificant compared to the untapped markets of the gold coast, central coast and NZ south island.

Probably those that supported the Rams and the Reds.

Untapped market of the Gold Coast? They had a team for 11 seasons and couldn't get it right and they live in a rugby league stronghold. The central coast hardly got behind the Northern Eagles but that is all politics between Manly and Norths and I would rather focus on Australia before relocating to NZ.

Why have a team in the comp when we have areas such as the central or gold coast missing out - people that would actually live and breath the game.

You really haven't got a clue do you?

Many I speak to in Melbourne say they prefer Union over League anyway - whether that is the fact union is played in their private schools or they view Leaue as a real threat to their crap game

League is played in private and public schools as well. :?

I don't know.

No shit.

Relocate them soon please David Gallop.

:roll:

eelandia

Juniors
Hoggy, hoggy, hoggy....you are obviously a passionate League fan (and Storm one as well considering your insults) but you shouldn't let your need to see live football be a reason to have a team where you live (presuming you live in Melb).

You forgot to mention that GC were also sacrificial lambs and had actually made the ARL semi-finals previously. They had began to get it right in my mind. The tap was turned off and taken away, therefore now untapped.

Why bother with Melbourne when the local player numbers are nowhere near CC, GC and Wellington (young union players could make the transition to League and are more likely to make the transition than AFLers).

BTW, I don't mind insults, but not from someone who doesn't put their real name behind the insults. In fact an address would also be handy so you could say it to my face next time I'm in Mexico visiting the ones with big corn chips on their shoulders.

Chill out will ya...!!

Grantwhy

Juniors
So eelandia, you are happy for the Eels [i'm guessing your team?] and all the other clubs to receive less $$$ from the NRL because the naming rights for the NRL are earning less, because the broadcast rights for the NRL are earning less?

DIEHARD

----
eelandia said:
Chill out will ya...!!

I don't find the topic of the theoritical demise of a rugby league football club that is vital to the game's future, trivial.

There is room for Melbourne, Gold Coast, Wellington and the Central Coast in the NRL. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Wait for the next tv contract and there will be bucket loads of mulla.

The AFL did it, stuck with the Lions/Bears and Swans and they have become quite successful, there is no reason why we can't do something similiar. And there is no place for light weights like you when it comes to deciding the future of Rugby League.

ngunity

Juniors
greeneyed said:
We not only need the Storm, we need to readmit Adelaide and Perth. This needs to happen soonish, and it would be a disaster to admit the Central Coast in preference to establishing a truly national competition. By all means add the Gold Coast and Wellington too, but only if Adelaide and Perth come in. No more teams should be admitted in NSW. There are already too many teams in Sydney, but if Central Coast can convince a team in Sydney to relocate, then fine.

Being from the central coast I was disgusted to see in the last few years a grass roots movement of support for Yawnion appearing, where previously it had been demoted to the middle-back pages of the Express Advocate where it belonged. Union is inconceivably inferior to League and the fact that Coasties would tell you that it is getting a foothold where League should reign supreme should give the NRL concern.

We saw in the "northern eagles" debacle that the CC won't support a relocated team, but I believe they would support their own team.

I'd like to see teams back in CC, GC, then expand to Wellington, Perth and Adelaide in about that order. Consolidating Leagues position in League strongholds so the gayest form of Rugby (Union) can't gain a strong fan base that wouldn't like league is a good idea. the NRL dilly-dallying while the CC in particular has a bloke willing to fund the bloody club from his own dragon hoard is STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Rugby League should hold strong in all it's footholds, move no-one, merge no-one, put a team where there's already Fans begging for one, then a few years down the track if the game is still stable put a team back in Perth and Adelaide ~ in the meantime keep the interest up in these spheres with matches of the round, and maybe minor semis to keep Perth/Adelaide aware there IS a good sport to be played, and NSW has it just now.

BTW I thought both iterations of the Gold Coast club sucked, but I'd like to see them back if it meant the people of GC where following league instead of laughably :lol: bad sports

People who think moving the Storm is a good idea have NFI (N for No, I for idea, guess what F stands for), probably the same clowns who think relocating the dogs would be wise (good call a$$holes moving a club with one of the BIGGEST supporter bases).....

Some people probably just need to post in TFC and others are @^$ing stupid

Hoggy said:
The Original Eye said:
nobody cares about the Lions or the Swans,

f**k, you're an idiot.

These 2 teams played in a prelim final against each other in Sydney and got over 70,000 to it.

Not to mention all the old South Melbourne and Fitzroy fans that have followed their teams north.

I'd just like to reiterate that you are a f***ing idiot.

So, 70,000 watch the airial ping pong in Sydney - I take it they do care about AFL in Sydney. :roll: Unlike Melbourne, where 10,000 watched them play the Knights in round 1. God knows what crowds they'll get if they struggle this year.

I'm a f**king idiot ? I'll tell you who the f**king idiots are - News, who continue to bankroll the Storm and all the RL fans who think the Storm will be here in 5 years.

Latest posts