What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne - Who Gives A Toss

DIEHARD

----
You can go back to RLFANs now and spin your shit there. Leave Australian Rugby League to the Aussies!

Surandy

Bench
The Original Eye said:
So, 70,000 watch the airial ping pong in Sydney - I take it they do care about AFL in Sydney. :roll: Unlike Melbourne, where 10,000 watched them play the Knights in round 1. God knows what crowds they'll get if they struggle this year.

I'm a f***ing idiot ? I'll tell you who the f***ing idiots are - News, who continue to bankroll the Storm and all the RL fans who think the Storm will be here in 5 years.

Hmm, you aren't a f***ing idiot? Storm didn't play Round 1, they had the bye.

If Storm struggle this year? That won't happen, but if it did then we'd get 9 or 10 thousand. The Storm have a core of supporters like myself that go to every home game they can. I've missed 2 home games in the last 3 seasons. Add to that a hard core of supporters that attend when they can. Add Storm fans/members bringing along a few uninformed sports fans. Add a few away team supporters. And there's the numbers.

DIEHARD

----
Surandy said:
If Storm struggle this year? That won't happen, but if it did then we'd get 9 or 10 thousand. The Storm have a core of supporters like myself that go to every home game they can. I've missed 2 home games in the last 3 seasons. Add to that a hard core of supporters that attend when they can. Add Storm fans/members bringing along a few uninformed sports fans. Add a few away team supporters. And there's the numbers.

The Storm have a diehard fan base, they will stick by their club through bad times better than any other club in the competition.

brenno

Juniors
if news is so committed to the storm then i dont undertstand why they havent invested in upgrading some of the facilities at olympic park. I would have a thought a better quality venue for watching football would equate to more fans turning up to matches hence, generating more public interest. I'm not saying that olympic park is the worst venue for watching football in the NRL (i think that title belongs to the showground or Kogarah) but if there's even a minor upgrade of facilities at the ground, i'm sure the storm could average 12-15k easily provided the team does well on the field.

Hoggy

Bench
eelandia said:
Hoggy, hoggy, hoggy....you are obviously a passionate League fan (and Storm one as well considering your insults) but you shouldn't let your need to see live football be a reason to have a team where you live (presuming you live in Melb).

Well if we relocate to the Gold Coast I'm not going to catch the train to watch them every second week. :? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

You forgot to mention that GC were also sacrificial lambs and had actually made the ARL semi-finals previously. They had began to get it right in my mind. The tap was turned off and taken away, therefore now untapped.

Yes but the only year they made the finals was in the Super League year. Wouldn't all the Gold Coast kids coming through go to the Broncos anyway?

Why bother with Melbourne when the local player numbers are nowhere near CC, GC and Wellington (young union players could make the transition to League and are more likely to make the transition than AFLers).

AFL was in the poo when it was the VFL in the mid-80s, it went national, now look at it thrive. NRL needs to do the same.

BTW, I don't mind insults, but not from someone who doesn't put their real name behind the insults. In fact an address would also be handy so you could say it to my face next time I'm in Mexico visiting the ones with big corn chips on their shoulders.

Well my nickname is Hoggy and it's not because I'm obsessed with Brad Hogg. :? Is your name eelandia? I don't think I'd be stupid enough to give someone my address that wants to punch the shit out of me. But I'll be happy to see you at the Graveyard if I can make the round 20 clash (as long as it's not on the Saturday night)

Chill out will ya...!!

I will when I stop worrying about the NRL taking my club away.

Hoggy

Bench
The Original Eye said:
So, 70,000 watch the airial ping pong in Sydney - I take it they do care about AFL in Sydney. :roll:

Well how many do you want to turn up before you realise common sense? 285,400?

Unlike Melbourne, where 10,000 watched them play the Knights in round 1. God knows what crowds they'll get if they struggle this year.

Still average more than Wests and Souths. If the NRL is that worried about our crowds they should have given us a home game against Brisbane who besides the Warriors are the major crowd pulling team down here. We haven't had home games against both in the same year since 2002.

I'm a f***ing idiot ? I'll tell you who the f***ing idiots are - News, who continue to bankroll the Storm and all the RL fans who think the Storm will be here in 5 years.

Hehe yes you are the f**king idiot and I'll tell you why. You're making comments to rile up our fans without knowing the true facts.

Have a nice day guv'nor.

By the way your comments gave me an idea for a new avatar. Cheers. ;-)

Grantwhy

Juniors
brenno said:
if news is so committed to the storm then i dont undertstand why they havent invested in upgrading some of the facilities at olympic park. I would have a thought a better quality venue for watching football would equate to more fans turning up to matches hence, generating more public interest. I'm not saying that olympic park is the worst venue for watching football in the NRL (i think that title belongs to the showground or Kogarah) but if there's even a minor upgrade of facilities at the ground, i'm sure the storm could average 12-15k easily provided the team does well on the field.

Ummm . . . because they are tenants?

How many people here are renting? How many of you are willing to pay for any renovations to be made to where you are renting?

Or, to put it another way, would the Sydney Roosters pay for upgrades/renovations to the SFS? The Tigers for Leichhardt Oval?

If the Storm owned the stadium then yes, they probably would be trying to pay for upgrades but I doubt any NRL Club that does not own their ground would be paying for upgrades.

brenno

Juniors
wasnt sure who owned the actual facility, i would have thought news corp who have been a stake holder considering they own the franchise and continue to poor millions (without much, if any return) into the club each year. In my opinion If news corp was serious about the longevity of the sport in melbourne, they should have at least explored the possibility of improving the ground and also negotiating a better coverage deal for the storm in the victorian newspapers. I like having a team in melbourne, but i just dont think news is doing enough to ensure the long term financial viability of the storm. Thats why i wont be surprised if news pulls the plug on them within 5 years....

Front-Rower

First Grade
Chill out will ya...!!

I will when I stop worrying about the NRL taking my club away.[/quote]

Ohh boo hoo you are worried about them taking your club away. A team thats bank rolled by News Ltd.

You don't nor will people ever get sympathy who follow teams like these, as why should they be given a chance to survive when the REAL teams who make the competition are either merged or were thrown out. Good on Souths for sticking it to the NRL (aka Super League), and I'm so glad they won and were re-addmitted.

Hoggy

Bench
Front-Rower said:
Chill out will ya...!!

I will when I stop worrying about the NRL taking my club away.

Ohh boo hoo you are worried about them taking your club away. A team thats bank rolled by News Ltd.

You don't nor will people ever get sympathy who follow teams like these, as why should they be given a chance to survive when the REAL teams who make the competition are either merged or were thrown out. Good on Souths for sticking it to the NRL (aka Super League), and I'm so glad they won and were re-addmitted.

And what other teams are bank-rolled by News?

Why wouldn't we get sympathy? We're a club like any other club out there with the loyal, die-hard supporters and all that sort of thing.

Jeez I was hoping for Souths to get readmitted as well, 2 easy wins for us each year. :lol: (I know we got smashed by them last year)

Blow me.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Aren't we an unhappy little chappy. A bit of the truth and you bite back hard :roll:

I've said it before and will say it again. Just because the title of the governing body is National Rugby League, does not mean the sport is a national game.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Its played in the 3 main cities of Australia.

Including the capital of Australia - Canberra

Major centres like Newcastle and Wollongong.

And in North Qld.

AS well as New Zealand. Not a bad effort to be based in a Union dominated country either AND survive quite well.

Damn close to being 'National'.

Take out Melbourne. Take out North QLD. Take out Canberra. Take out NZ. And put in Adelaide and Perth.

Now I ask you. Is THAT anymore 'National'?

Dimitri - "Mark Rudd is the most important and highly regarded poster at Leagueunlimited....period."

Front-Rower

First Grade
Mark Rudd said:
Its played in the 3 main cities of Australia.

Including the capital of Australia - Canberra

Major centres like Newcastle and Wollongong.

And in North Qld.

AS well as New Zealand. Not a bad effort to be based in a Union dominated country either AND survive quite well.

Damn close to being 'National'.

Take out Melbourne. Take out North QLD. Take out Canberra. Take out NZ. And put in Adelaide and Perth.

Now I ask you. Is THAT anymore 'National'?

Dimitri - "Mark Rudd is the most important and highly regarded poster at Leagueunlimited....period."

Yes I do not doubt that, in fact I agree with your remarks on the competition already being nearly national.

However I do not see any advantage of placing teams in Perth or Adelaide, like many here have suggested, as the game is not big enough, or widely supported in these states.

Mark Rudd, you have come up with interesting discussion points on the issue.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I think long term, Adelaide and Perth CAN have teams. But not in the next ten years. Geez, the NRL don't even give Melbourne that much help to develop the game down here.

Without sounding biased, the game in Victoria SHOULD be number one priority for the NRL. The AFL have said they have spent $60 million on their game in NSW/QLD. $15 million last year alone!

What does the NRL do for the game down here?

Front-Rower

First Grade
True, but with the AFL especially in Sydney there is no hype about it unless the Swans are winning. Its all about a winning culture.

Unlike Rugby League, with the majority of teams being based around Sydney the opportunity of having more media impact is greater becasue more people are interested in the broader spectrum of the game.

It must be the same in Melbourne with AFL, but can you say when the storm are winnning is the media more hyped about it?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Front-Rower said:
However I do not see any advantage of placing teams in Perth or Adelaide, like many here have suggested, as the game is not big enough, or widely supported in these states.

Mark Rudd, you have come up with interesting discussion points on the issue.

Was AFL big in Sydney or Brisbane in the 80's when the AFL brought those teams in?? You have to think about the big picture...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
It must be the same in Melbourne with AFL, but can you say when the storm are winnning is the media more hyped about it?

We wish. When they won the GF, some in the media were mad that the Storm made the back page of the Herald Sun.

I rarely see Storm on the TV news let alone NRL info. There is interest in Victoria. But not from the media.

Beaussie

First Grade
The Herald Sun as part of News Ltd give the Storm more coverage than they warrant in an AFL religious city like Melbourne.