What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Members announcement GI until 2020

Pommy

Coach
I would imagine so. Certainly his NRL career he may still have time to have a final pay day in England if his knee will allow.

alien

Referee
I have mixed feelings about this. GI is of my favourite players of all time, but I'm worried that he will continue to have problems with his knee, which means we might end up being stuck for years paying a player around $1,000,000 a year who isn't really able to play his best, and might also miss a lot of games because of injury. Hopefully his knee will be ok.

Pommy

Coach
I have mixed feelings about this. GI is of my favourite players of all time, but I'm worried that he will continue to have problems with his knee, which means we might end up being stuck for years paying a player around $1,000,000 a year who isn't really able to play his best, and might also miss a lot of games because of injury. Hopefully his knee will be ok.

We don't know how much his new deal is worth. I think the club has the same feelings we all do and his wage will have been negotiated accordingly.

I too have a mixed feelings,which really only revolve around the seasons 2019/20.But having said that,he is a player that other players want to play with and for.

Travitoh

First Grade
I can't see him being on as much as his previous contract, surely not.
The cap squeeze is tight as it is

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Im happy with it as long as there no bloodshed like last season! He is a major factor in getting young guns and experienced players alike to come to souths. He also a massive part of the membership drive. Hope he hits top form and 2017 bears fruit.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Good news in my opinion. He may only play 2 or 3 years anyway.
I don't think he would hang around if he can't compete at the level he wants to.
I guess the other thing to remember is players/clubs are willing to negotiate these days to end contracts early particularly if both parties see an upside to it.

alien

Referee
I think the smarter option would have been to extend his contract 1 year at a time.

Rabbits20

Immortal
He won't miss too many games. Just occasionally. Let's be positive.

GI not at his best is still very very very good though.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think the smarter option would have been to extend his contract 1 year at a time.
I disagree. That just messes things up.

GI wanted security and certainty.

I wouldn't be shocked if he retires after 2019 though.

I think his last deal was about 800k. Now with the cap going up I reckon he will be on close to 1million. Especially as we haven't really signed any other quality players besides Farah.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Excellent news. Hopefully this stops all the ridiculous Broncos rumours.

Means GI will play 10 seasons in red and green. Awesome news for the club and be written in the newest chapter of our history.

Im suddenly more confident of us winning a comp in the next few years.

doyen

Bench
Excellent news. Hopefully this stops all the ridiculous Broncos rumours.

Means GI will play 10 seasons in red and green. Awesome news for the club and be written in the newest chapter of our history.

Im suddenly more confident of us winning a comp in the next few years.

This is the best news that Sths could have at this time!!

He brings far more to Sths than just being a great player.

He is to Sths what Buddy Franklin is to the Swans.

His worth is far more than $1,000,000 a season!!

We have close to the best player in the comp in 3 different posses[f/b,centre & 5/8] for another 4 yrs & being the super athlete that he is he will continue in that way.

The late Artie Beetson always reckoned he'd be the best 2nd rower in the game as he slows down a bit in his 30s!!

Woofy7

Juniors
Best news for Souths Sydney.....can't believe people are doubting this signing.
There's only 4-5 players that are a walk-in to the Australian team and we happen to lock one up for the next four years and we aren't happy with it.
Every single player carries injuries we just happen to notice greg's because we can see the strapping.
If his knee was such a concern I doubt he would be able to move the way he does on the footy field......
Number 22 is on its way!!! Up the Rabbitohs!!!!

Q dave q

Juniors
Gi is one of the greatest footballers to ever lace on a boot.

Nothing is good enough for Greg, he's the fugging cats whiskers.