What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memo Gus Gould from Parramatta - Go to hell!!!!

The Godfather

Juniors
View from Bondi Junction:

The Roosters
The NRL Competition

Go ahead, be the dominant force in the NRL...

And in a couple of years, when crowds start dropping off because the competition is boring, fans turn away and the clubs start to go broke TV ratings plummet and fans start turning towards the AFL, Union and even the re-launched soccer competition, the Roosters and Gus will be ready to blame everyone and everything else.

The Godfather said:
View from Bondi Junction:

The Roosters
The NRL Competition

Go ahead, be the dominant force in the NRL...

And in a couple of years, when crowds start dropping off because the competition is boring, fans turn away and the clubs start to go broke TV ratings plummet and fans start turning towards the AFL, Union and even the re-launched soccer competition, the Roosters and Gus will be ready to blame everyone and everything else.

Brisbane are a dominant force in the AFL but there ratings aren't going down the gurgular. Some clubs might be, but teams like Carlton and The Western Bulldogs have been mismanaged no one's fault but there own. (I know I support Carlton).

Saints were pretty dominant and it didn't kill the game actually made it stronger. Souths were the same. It gave others a bar to reach and all clubs should be striving for it. All clubs should be trying to make themselves stronger.

The cap will rise eventually and I hear people saying but clubs aren't ready for 2005. OK so we leave it as it is in 2005. When will the clubs be ready.

Someone here mentioned the soccer. Well my friends that could very well be a challenge to all football codes more so ours if we don't watch out. It is the most played sport in the country by people under 15. It has potentially a lot of money attached to it. This new comp looks the goods. As I have mentioned I am getting involved with the Central Coast side and the league could finally have got it right.

The NRL need to be moving forwards not stagnating.

jed

First Grade
Sorry for joining the conversation late, this may have been covered in one of the deleted threads, but there's something that bothers me.

Increasing the cap isn't going to stop players from going to other clubs. Increasing the cap by 10-15% will also increase all of the other clubs caps by the same amount, all that will end up happening is (1) star player salaries (Freddy, Joey) will skyrocket again, and (2) less affluent clubs will find themselves under increased pressure to remain in the competition.

The Salary Cap is not in place to punish clubs such as Easts, it is merely there to ensure the greater viability of the league. Other issues need to be separated from this argument.

As far as representative players for Origin go, I feel that there should be no exemption for them. They are not compelled to play, they can choose (as Fittler has done) to remove themselves from the selection process. As for saying that representative players play more matches, while that is true for Kangaroo matches after the season has ended, players don't participate the weekend before origin, and many don't play in the same weekend as the Aust/NZ test match on the Friday night, those who do rarely showing their usual brilliance.

I have attempted in this post to remain rational, and if a reply is to be forthcoming, I'd appreciate if you would afford me the same courtesy.

jed said:
I have attempted in this post to remain rational, and if a reply is to be forthcoming, I'd appreciate if you would afford me the same courtesy.

No problems jed, you will find that if you want to chat about league rationally manner without insults, we are more than willing to respond in the same manner.

Cheers.

jed said:
Sorry for joining the conversation late, this may have been covered in one of the deleted threads, but there's something that bothers me.

Increasing the cap isn't going to stop players from going to other clubs. Increasing the cap by 10-15% will also increase all of the other clubs caps by the same amount, all that will end up happening is (1) star player salaries (Freddy, Joey) will skyrocket again, and (2) less affluent clubs will find themselves under increased pressure to remain in the competition.

The Salary Cap is not in place to punish clubs such as Easts, it is merely there to ensure the greater viability of the league. Other issues need to be separated from this argument.

As far as representative players for Origin go, I feel that there should be no exemption for them. They are not compelled to play, they can choose (as Fittler has done) to remove themselves from the selection process. As for saying that representative players play more matches, while that is true for Kangaroo matches after the season has ended, players don't participate the weekend before origin, and many don't play in the same weekend as the Aust/NZ test match on the Friday night, those who do rarely showing their usual brilliance.

I agree it is a tool that is place to stop teams from going broke. But why do we need a tool to stop clubs from sending themselves broke.

I think a raise in the cap is no problem what so ever, provided that another system is in place that helps with the talent spread.
The best system would be a point system where players are graded and afforded a value there as opposed to a market value.

Barring that I think that any payments what so ever from sponsors should not be included in the cap at all. After all the cap is there to stop clubs going broke not sponsors.

sretsoor

Juniors
Southern Rooster said:
Barring that I think that any payments what so ever from sponsors should not be included in the cap at all. After all the cap is there to stop clubs going broke not sponsors.

Great point.

jed

First Grade
Southern Rooster said:
I agree it is a tool that is place to stop teams from going broke. But why do we need a tool to stop clubs from sending themselves broke.

I think a raise in the cap is no problem what so ever, provided that another system is in place that helps with the talent spread.
The best system would be a point system where players are graded and afforded a value there as opposed to a market value.

Definitely, a points system (in conjunction with other systems such as an increased salary cap) would assist the talent spread, however I hold little faith that all 15 clubs would be able to agree on a system, and if the NRL were to impose it on the clubs, I think there would be a few of the more vocal that would get upset.

Bozza 1980

Juniors
I agree that for a succesful club it appears unfair that the system is designed to bring them back to the pack.

However it must be considered...

The most financially succesful clubs cannot be able to purchase the best players available without a restraint system in place.

The competition cannot thrive if there are the same teams remaining competitive each season.

I know people point out that clubs are able to develop players to build teams, the problem arises (like English soccer) whereby underperforming sides have trouble retaining their juniors, hence creating the vicious circle where they are unable to reverse the position that they find themselves in.

Unlike European soccer where the succesful clubs actually have bigger competitions to compete in, promotion - relegation systems etc, to maintain the interest in an otherwise 2-3 horse race competition, Rugby League in Australia does not have this. So for many fair weather supporters, there would not seem to be much point spending their hard earned enternainment dollars on Rugby League when their side has no chance of competing.

Well anyway that's my opinion on the topic

Latest posts