What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge they said

Saintsified

Bench
Things will be better they said, Saints will become a super club they said, ensure their future they said....fast forward 15 years....broke doh.

How stupid are we?

IFR33K

Coach
Serious question and not trolling.

Was merging worth the 2010 GF, assuming you don't see another title for years too come.

Saintsified

Bench
Like the Northern Eagles is this an opportunity to take even more control over the merge? I don't think we can ever let go of the gong now that wouldn't be nrl preference but staying in sydney full time could be a good thing too.

No idea I'm that unsure

possm

Coach
It's not the merging that has caused problems, it's the management of the Club. Over many years St George have been one of the leading clubs both on and off the field but in recent times have been stuck in yesteryear with 'old boys club' administrators who just aren't up to the professionalism and progressive demands required to run a successful rugby leagues club of today's era. No longer can we rely on yesterday's reputation together with funding from te pokies to get us through. I've been saying for some time we need a cleanout and replacement of the board, CEO, head coach, recruitment team and football manager with people who are true professionals rather than 'old boys'.

We experienced a glimpse of true professionalism when we hired Bennett as coach and at the same time were reminded of the Club's limitations with regards to savvy administration when Doust declined Bennett's request for a 5 year deal at 750,000 a year and offered him a 3 year deal instead. It's history that during Bennett's final year Doust tried all he could to get Bennett to agree to an extention of his contract at a much larger salary. It's also history now that Bennett signed with Newcastle for a much larger sum than the 750,000 he was on at the Dragons.

For years now the Club has financially been going down hill and many of the recruitment decisions have been greatly influenced by the availability of cash rather than the right player for the job; this is despite the fact that the NRL provide close to 100% of the salary cap.

The fact is that despite the 'superior marketing', 'the brand', 'the organic growth policy' and the numerous other lines of spin, Doust has presided over our Club's financial decline and the Board has supported him along this path. This in itself is reason enough for the clean out.

The merge is not the reason for the decline and I believe the Club would not do any better if the merge was reversed.

nrlnrl

First Grade
interesting that the other joint venture won a title & they're also struggling financially

The Leagues Club being hammered by pokies tax has had the negative impact that teams were fearing. The one area the j.v. could control ( on-field performance ) has pushed them further back into the quicksand after the highs of 2010 with memberships & merchandising ( epsecially with the new shop at St George Leagues )

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Serious question and not trolling.

Was merging worth the 2010 GF, assuming you don't see another title for years too come.
I have no doubt we'll see another premiership long before the Eels do.

And it's a joint venture, not a merger.

Steelman

Juniors
I have no doubt we'll see another premiership long before the Eels do.

And it's a joint venture, not a merger.

Willow despite the fact we rarely see eye to eye on anything and there may be some animosity between us have to say........

I totally agree 100% with this statement. ..Up St George Illawarra. ....:D

Saintsified

Bench
So if Northern Eagles didnt work, West Tigers and STGI are both broke, that would prove that mergers/JVs dont work, its a stop gap bandaid solution which alienated many fans on both sides of the ledger, Manly splits from Northern Eagles and remain successful, Saints, Tigers, Wests, Illawarra all remain shit.

Just what we need, another thread that alienates our supporter base and further erodes our status.
Other fans from other clubs would be enjoying this as they troll on by.
I'm from the Illawarra side of the JV and will always be thankful we still have a presence in the big show.

All for a healthy debate but this is a stretch.

Saintsified

Bench
It's not the merging that has caused problems, it's the management of the Club. Over many years St George have been one of the leading clubs both on and off the field but in recent times have been stuck in yesteryear with 'old boys club' administrators who just aren't up to the professionalism and progressive demands required to run a successful rugby leagues club of today's era. No longer can we rely on yesterday's reputation together with funding from te pokies to get us through. I've been saying for some time we need a cleanout and replacement of the board, CEO, head coach, recruitment team and football manager with people who are true professionals rather than 'old boys'.

We experienced a glimpse of true professionalism when we hired Bennett as coach and at the same time were reminded of the Club's limitations with regards to savvy administration when Doust declined Bennett's request for a 5 year deal at 750,000 a year and offered him a 3 year deal instead. It's history that during Bennett's final year Doust tried all he could to get Bennett to agree to an extention of his contract at a much larger salary. It's also history now that Bennett signed with Newcastle for a much larger sum than the 750,000 he was on at the Dragons.

For years now the Club has financially been going down hill and many of the recruitment decisions have been greatly influenced by the availability of cash rather than the right player for the job; this is despite the fact that the NRL provide close to 100% of the salary cap.

The fact is that despite the 'superior marketing', 'the brand', 'the organic growth policy' and the numerous other lines of spin, Doust has presided over our Club's financial decline and the Board has supported him along this path. This in itself is reason enough for the clean out.

The merge is not the reason for the decline and I believe the Club would not do any better if the merge was reversed.

No i never said it caused us problems, it was supposed to ensure we never ever have problems and its failed to do that.

Saintsified

Bench
Just what we need, another thread that alienates our supporter base and further erodes our status.
Other fans from other clubs would be enjoying this as they troll on by.
I'm from the Illawarra side of the JV and will always be thankful we still have a presence in the big show.

All for a healthy debate but this is a stretch.

The only thing that is negative is what was preached to both sides way back then, the NRL has failed us, the Wests Tigers and Northern Eagles, its got nothing to do with being negative, it was sold to us like that and obviously the JV happened and thats fine, but how we find ourselves in this financial predicament now is the negative side of things, if i cant talk to fellow Saints fans about our concerns then why are we even here? and who cares what other fans think, i dont follow our club because of them.

Prometheus

Juniors
Guys its a Joint Venture not a merger, any team can go their own way when ever they want.

True, but they wouldn't be in the NRL. The NRL licence belongs to the JV, not to St George or Illawarra. The only reason Manly automatically kept their spot in the competition was because the Northern Eagles had been using Manly's licence. The NRL made it clear when Ben Elias was trying to break up Wests Tigers that if Balmain decided to go alone they couldn't continue to use the JV's licence.

TheRev

Coach
I dont mind the StGeorge Illawarra thing, tbh I dont even think about it till these posts come up, we still have the Red V, we still refer to ourselves as StGeorge, but we have the benefit of more juniors/crowds/funding..

OK sure its not perfectly ideal but considering the situation I thought we did well.. we might have been the club booted out like Souths were.