What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge they said

Prometheus

Juniors
If I may ask, where did you get your info on this? My understanding was that the NRL license is held by St George, and would revert back to St George in the event of the JV dissolving. That came from one of the club bosses a few years ago, so the source isn't in print.

The Wests Tigers situation would be different, just because they may jointly hold the license, doesn't mean the same goes for us.

The licences were granted to the joint ventures not one of the partner clubs because it was the JVs that met the NRL's criteria. The Northern Eagles were different only because they were formed after Norths were told they didn't have a place in the competition.

lol@souths

Juniors
Should become a permanent merger, including the adoption across the board, of a unified and singular history encompassing all that has come before it.

We've been living together for 15 years, we've had a kid. Time to do the right thing by each other and get married. It's about commitment.

Yes time for marriage, sick of all the joint venture crap seems to never end. With marriage one usually takes on board the one name. Make is St George and play out of both stadiums.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The licences were granted to the joint ventures not one of the partner clubs because it was the JVs that met the NRL's criteria.
I appreciate that to be your view, but with respect it reads more like a supposition. Did you hear this or was just a conclusion you reached? Is there a source of any kind to support your view?
Prometheus said:
The Northern Eagles were different only because they were formed after Norths were told they didn't have a place in the competition.
I'm pretty sure Ilawarra were also told they not going to be part of the competition. At the time, Bob Millward did say that the club would not have been able to field a team in 1999. Plus they had Optus as a major sponsor and they dropped out when Telstra got their slice of the cake after the Super League war.

I'm not saying you're wrong only that it contradicts what I was told, that St George held the license. In the absense of proof to the contrary, I have no reason to think that anyone was making it up.

tumbidragon

First Grade
As others have stated, the struggling financial situation has nothing to do with the JV and everything to do with the dinosaurs running the club as if were a relic of the 70's.
In response to the whole JV debate, I'll share my story and my 2 cents.
I have been a St. George lad from day dot, thanks to the indoctrination of that wonderful fatherly institution of footy fanaticism ;) The very first game of first grade I saw as a 5 year old was the 1992 challenge cup at Dubbo between the mighty red and white steelers Vs the scum Bronco's. From that day on It was inevitable that the Steelers would be my second favorite side. :) Fast forward to the end of that very same season, It was my 1st visit to the big smoke, and my father surprised me by taking me to a semi between the Steelers and Dragons as an early B'day present (Steelers won from memory).
I was in awe by all the people covered in red and white, the children getting their faces painted red and white at the front of the stadium and the smells of game day chips, pies and chiko rolls:) The noise and atmosphere were incredible, I don't remember much of the game itself, except a marching band wearing Red and the fact that my dad was bummed with the result. I wasn't, as my second team winning was almost as good as St. George winning ;)
To a kid who grew up loving both clubs, the marriage was a dream come true! I was over the moon that UNITED together that marriage bore the fruit of a premiership in 2010 (I remember feeling bullet proof for weeks after that :) As far as I'm concerned I love the JV and long may it last! United we stand, divided we fall. Up the mighty St. George Illawarra Dragons!

Prometheus

Juniors
I appreciate that to be your view, but with respect it reads more like a supposition. Did you hear this or was just a conclusion you reached? Is there a source of any kind to support your view?I'm pretty sure Ilawarra were also told they not going to be part of the competition. At the time, Bob Millward did say that the club would not have been able to field a team in 1999. Plus they had Optus as a major sponsor and they dropped out when Telstra got their slice of the cake after the Super League war.

I'm pretty sure I read it back when the Ben Elias thing was going on over at Wests Tigers, but I can't remember where. Illawarra were not told they would be kicked out as St George and Illawarra proposed their joint venture before the NRL's review even started. Millward has said that they'd have needed an extra 1 million a season to continue as a stand alone club, but no teams had been singled out for expulsion yet.

It makes you think though. The Steelers brought their junior base to the party and St George brought the money. If St George doesn't have money any more, wouldn't it make more sense for the team with juniors to continue if the joint venture broke up? Not that it ever will.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
St George has money. The leagues club are quite well off with assets and money in the bank. They may show the odd annual loss but they're not about to shut down, despite the rhetoric. The main news lately has been to do with the football club, and virtually all football clubs run at a loss. People often get the two mixed up.

Last edited:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
What doesn't add up, someone please explain, is how we can afford to continue to run 2 home grounds with all the associated costs and only 1/2 the use. This must be a burden other single ground (or no ground) clubs don't have to bear.

I also realise there is no good answer to this - I mean if we were to go to the one ground then which ground? (Don't say Cronulla's home ground which may be available soon!)

All said, I support the JV (J 'Red' V) - just want to see it is managed well so that the benefits can be realised.

TruSaint

Referee
What doesn't add up, someone please explain, is how we can afford to continue to run 2 home grounds with all the associated costs and only 1/2 the use. This must be a burden other single ground (or no ground) clubs don't have to bear.

I also realise there is no good answer to this - I mean if we were to go to the one ground then which ground? (Don't say Cronulla's home ground which may be available soon!)

All said, I support the JV (J 'Red' V) - just want to see it is managed well so that the benefits can be realised.

Valid point.

Money has been spent developing these pristine ovals, yet as was reported in the media, they are under utilised.

Not sure about the gong, but can anyone tell me if the Kogarah venue holds regular sporting events outside NRL? Is there another income stream?

Willow any insight on this mate?

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Valid point.

Money has been spent developing these pristine ovals, yet as was reported in the media, they are under utilised.

Not sure about the gong, but can anyone tell me if the Kogarah venue holds regular sporting events outside NRL? Is there another income stream?

Boys... We don't own the stadiums, we rent them when required.
If anything like here on Sunshine Coast, user pays.
This works well for sporting clubs as they don't maintain them or any associated works. Usually a licensing agreement is granted to sporting bodies outlining agreed usage etc.
I think Dragons are in the same boat.

saint.nick

Coach
Valid point.

Apart from Saints games, they usually hold a couple of Sydney FC games a year. They're having 2 trial matches this year, but I'm not sure if there'll be a regular season game held there like a couple of years ago against the Roar, when they broke that team's massive undefeated streak. I think however apart from that, it's not utilised by anyone of note. I sometimes see the stadium lights on from my house, but never know what they're for :? Whatever they're for, I don't think they generate much

TruSaint

Referee
Apart from Saints games, they usually hold a couple of Sydney FC games a year. They're having 2 trial matches this year, but I'm not sure if there'll be a regular season game held there like a couple of years ago against the Roar, when they broke that team's massive undefeated streak. I think however apart from that, it's not utilised by anyone of note. I sometimes see the stadium lights on from my house, but never know what they're for :? Whatever they're for, I don't think they generate much

Thanks Nick.
At least you can see the lights from home lol.
Didnt they have some EPL promo there as well ?

TruSaint

Referee
Boys... We don't own the stadiums, we rent them when required.
If anything like here on Sunshine Coast, user pays.
This works well for sporting clubs as they don't maintain them or any associated works. Usually a licensing agreement is granted to sporting bodies outlining agreed usage etc.
I think Dragons are in the same boat.

JB, i know we dont own them mate.

Your point is interesting. Does that mean that we pay for the games we play, or is it an annual deal irrespective?

It may also be , even if its a flat annual fee, that fee is based on a reduced sum due to the games played. I really dont know. As an example, when the Tigers game was shifted, i would presume there was compensation.

If its user pays, with no other costs associated, then fine.

Prometheus

Juniors
Besides, playing half the home games in Wollongong was one of the four non-negotiable conditions of the joint venture.

Prometheus

Juniors
News Ltd's plan was to force St George and Illawarra into a three-way merger with Cronulla and have all the home games played at Shark Park. That is why the Dragons and Steelers got in early and announced a joint-venture before the review even began.

big pat

Coach
Valid point.

Willow any insight on this mate?[/QUOT

sydneyfc are playing perth glory this sunday at 4pm, at kogarah, a couple of weeks ago they played newcastle fc at win wollongong, they said they got 7000 there.

TruSaint

Referee
Valid point.

Willow any insight on this mate?[/QUOT

sydneyfc are playing perth glory this sunday at 4pm, at kogarah, a couple of weeks ago they played newcastle fc at win wollongong, they said they got 7000 there.

Thanks Pat...
I didnt know that mate

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Should become a permanent merger, including the adoption across the board, of a unified and singular history encompassing all that has come before it.

We've been living together for 15 years, we've had a kid. Time to do the right thing by each other and get married. It's about commitment.
I'll be running from the altar if you ever propose to me bottle. lol

What you're saying is we stop being two individuals and meld into one person.

I would never expect my partner to give up her identity. We are still individuals with our own histories and experiences.

The joint venture is a marriage. And in that, it provides more freedoms for both partners than a merger ever could.

I agree with the continuation of history as each partner is still in operation.