What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metcalf a Warrior

JAG

Juniors
No. Sorry, my post may have been a tad vague (or misdirected).

I'm not totally equating the two. Obviously, this incident has the added factors of the assault and also that the woman was far from a consenting participant in the murder of the unborn. This was a malicious and heinous act.

In saying that, I won't shy away from my view that abortion is murder. And I think it's hypocritical for society to be so appalled by Metcalf's actions and so silent on the abortion issue.

Anyway, I understand it is a very involved and contentious issue.

Fair enough. I see where you're coming from.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
This argument is going to open a big can of worms. Let's tread carefully, guys.

Remember this is just a rugby league forum and not NZ's morals & ethics society.

Skinner

Coach
This argument is going to open a big can of worms. Let's tread carefully, guys.

Remember this is just a rugby league forum and not NZ's morals & ethics society.

Well said Wazz. It is an emotive issue and we are all going to have different views.

JAG

Juniors
That's a fair enough call, but if this was just a league story, I doubt it would've run to 4 pages. It's only the ethical and moral aspects to this situation that make it newsworthy.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Of course it is, JAG. But MV brought up a valid point about abortion. And I think this topic is heated enough without abortion coming into it. Hence my comment.

JAG

Juniors
Of course it is, JAG. But MV brought up a valid point about abortion. And I think this topic is heated enough without abortion coming into it. Hence my comment.

Yeah, sorry Boss. Wasn't arguing the point.

I'll get my coat.....;-)

hitman82

Bench
I've seen enough of Shaun to believe he would be a solid centre for us.
Smart signing given the current injury crisis in our outside backs. Man, when Inu went down looking hurt versus the Sharks I nearly lost the plot.
One thing Shaun obviously has apart from talent, is huge drive. I expect he would be very passionate on the field - something we could use.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
So ... moral, ethical and all other non-footy-related issues aside, will Metcalf be straight into the Warriors First Grade lineup?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
So ... moral, ethical and all other non-footy-related issues aside, will Metcalf be straight into the Warriors First Grade lineup?
daresay not. a few more injuries in the centres and he might be, but i'd say he's been signed so that he can train with the team and those injuries happen he won't need to be given a crash course in the game plan and combinations*.

*=ignoring the fact that we don't really have either of those, any given week.

ozbash

Referee
he will be a 'surprise' inclusion, someone will tweak a hammy at warm up and he'll take his place..

hitman82

Bench
he will be a 'surprise' inclusion, someone will tweak a hammy at warm up and he'll take his place..

You reckon they might avoid naming him in the Tuesday team? That's a good point actually... "surprise inclusion" would avoid possible ugly stuff in the media.

Has anyone heard much talkback regarding Shaun's signing?

So currently we have...

Available:
Mannering - converted second rower, but as far as I'm concerned should stay in the centres long term. Unless Luck gets injured.
Berrigan - could maybe be better utilised at hooker if Heremaia doesn't step up soon.
Lewis brown - better in the second row.
Shaun Metcalfe falls somewhere in here imho, between available and dubious.
I'd rather use him than pull Inu into the centres and have Locke on the wing.
Lewis Brown would be next in line in my team though - with Sione Lousi able to cover second row.
Krisnan Inu - better on the wing, particularly with Manu out.

Dubious:
Moon - out of form, officially anyway.
Lance Hohaia - not playing at all right now.
Elijah Taylor - rookie utility... maybe??

Unavailable:
Jerome Ropati - broken, season.
Ivan Penehe - broken, season?

Lossy

Juniors
The question is, to me anyway: would you sign Shaun merely as back-up, knowing full well the various reactions? I can't see it.

I'll go with Oz on this. A surprise inclusion. An away game debut makes sense to me.

devoid

Juniors
The question is, to me anyway: would you sign Shaun merely as back-up, knowing full well the various reactions? I can't see it.

I'll go with Oz on this. A surprise inclusion. An away game debut makes sense to me.

I see the thinking now - Brookvale?

Talanexor

Juniors
I can't believe anyone is even remotely supportive of this.

Look at the facts:

It wasn't a terminated pregnancy. Doctors refuse to perform abortions once the foetus is more than a month or 2 old, because that's when it stops being a bunch of cells and starts to look like a person. Can you blame them?

She was 5 months pregnant at the time, not 1 or 2. And instead of a medical procedure, he and a bunch of his mates assaulted a teenage girl in an attempt to murder his own child.

And to top it all off, he now has 6 year old twins with another woman. Given that he's 23, that means they were born in 2005, and that they were conceived in 2004 - THE SAME YEAR HE ATTACKED HIS GIRLFRIEND.

So not only did he and a bunch of his mates beat up a teenage girl and attempt to kill his child - he was cheating on her with another girl at the same time, and got her knocked up as well.

Scum. Absolute scum. 18 months is nowhere near long enough for a lowlife bastard like Metcalf.

Scorpio30

Bench
I can't believe anyone is even remotely supportive of this.

Look at the facts:

It wasn't a terminated pregnancy. Doctors refuse to perform abortions once the foetus is more than a month or 2 old, because that's when it stops being a bunch of cells and starts to look like a person. Can you blame them?

She was 5 months pregnant at the time, not 1 or 2. And instead of a medical procedure, he and a bunch of his mates assaulted a teenage girl in an attempt to murder his own child.

And to top it all off, he now has 6 year old twins with another woman. Given that he's 23, that means they were born in 2005, and that they were conceived in 2004 - THE SAME YEAR HE ATTACKED HIS GIRLFRIEND.

So not only did he and a bunch of his mates beat up a teenage girl and attempt to kill his child - he was cheating on her with another girl at the same time, and got her knocked up as well.

Scum. Absolute scum. 18 months is nowhere near long enough for a lowlife bastard like Metcalf.

That sounds very technical and scientific...source?