What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metro League

joshreading

Staff member
Ok, there has been talk of starting reserves but what about this idea.

It is a rip off the Aussie Rules Crew in the US who have Metro Footy, mod AFL with less players.

Instead of having fully fledged reserves what about establishing Nine a Side Metro Teams just in the areas they are in.

Thus you could start a NY/NJ Metro League - with Metro teams normally under the AMNRL clubs (obviously more teams to more players for each club) and a Penn League as well as even a Washington/Baltimore Metro League.

They then don't have to travel far and thus you get more players that cannot be as dedicated. You can start a metro team when you still dont have enough for a AMNRL club.

It could even be mid week and act as a training session as well for AMNRL clubs to some degree.

As more metro teams are established and player numbers grow far more some could become second division AMNRL Clubs or AMNRL Clubs in their own right.

ANY thoughts, especialy from the American based people???

Why hasn't nine a side (or seven) been used much to get union clubs to try League???? (atleast in some form)

roopy

Referee
I read a thing on the New Jersey Sharks website the other day that talked about the team coming from 'Friday night games' organised by David Nui.

The impression I got was that David Nui ran pick up games for Union players to improve their skills by playing a bit of League on Friday nights.

If a second grade comp doesn't happen for some reason I think it would be grreat if the older guys who are just too old to play now (and there should be some starting to fall into that catagory now) started up Friday night social games where they could bring all the new players up to standard by passing on their experience in pick up games.

Whatever happens - there needs to be some way that a young American guy can learn to play the game if he wants to.