What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagan quits as Parramatta Eels coach

lango13

Juniors
Im hearing that he will walk out (or be pushed) on Parramatta today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm hearing about a press conference at 12 noon today..

whether it's true or not I don't know and I don't know what it's about.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
Michael Hagan quits as Parramatta Eels coach

By Paul Kent, Chief Sports Writer | October 21, 2008 12:00am

PARRAMATTA'S Michael Hagan will quit as Eels coach at midday. The Eels have called a press conference for noon where Hagan will announce his resignation.

The Parramatta board was told of Hagan's decision at a board meeting last night, the first anybody knew of Hagan's unhappiness.

The decision will stun league fans, with Hagan considered one of the game's genuine nice guys and a coach of considerable ability.

However the premiership winning coach has come under increasing pressure after the Eels _ one of the 2008 pre-season favourites _ failed to qualify for the finals.

Clearly he has wrestled with the decision in recent months before taking the ultimate step.

It is understood Hagan had kept hi s decision secret until last night's board meeting, telling only chief executive Denis Fitzgerald.

The decision stunned the board, aware Hagan had another 12 months left on contract.

The Eels will now be forced to look for a new coach immediately, among a well credentialled shortlist.

The obvious candidate is recent St Helens coach Daniel Anderson, who has returned to Australia after several successful years with the English Super League club.

Anderson is a former Parramatta assistant under Hagan's predecessor Brian Smith.

Other possible candidate's include former Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes, Hagan's assistant David Fairleigh and even Cronulla and NSW assistant Shane Flanagan.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24529032-5006066,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Bout time. Great news for the Eels and if they manage to snag Anderson then they will be back on track for 09.

Beez

Juniors
Good on him. He would have been under enormous stress in 2009, and his health would have suffered.

I'm going to renew my season ticket now!

Daneel

Bench
Just seen it on Fox sports news and had to jump on to make sure what i was reading was true. F**king fantastic. I wanna have a party all invited.

Latest posts