What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagen appointed director of football

ryana87

Juniors
What does this role involve?..... Is this a good or bad thing?
I see the words 'new era'...... Then I see the words `we welcome back'........ Doesn't make sense

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
This worries me as his recruitment and ability to re-sign key players sucked - At every club he's coached at.

Probably similar to gus's role at the panthers. Of which I am not too sure. I guess he is kind of a boss of everything that relates to on field stuff.

Maybe Hagans last 10 years working with the qld team can bring some of the superstars to the knights. I'll take DCE, matt Scott and David shillington please.

Was thinking the same thing CH. He has great respect among Qld players from his time in Origin. Could be a great appointment. He deserves a chance at this. He may excel. Very different role to coaching. He seems on the level does Hages.

Nuffy

Bench
Did we advertise it and pursue the best possible candidate?

Seems more like the obc is being reactivated.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Michael-Hagan-6310011.jpg

Haffa

Old Boys never die!

Regardless of his work with QLD how is this a step forward? What is it with this club and living in the past?

perverse

Referee
More jobs for the boys. It looks like this role with be a combination of several roles that would have been filled by individual people in the HSG era. Looks like Hages is replacing Mulholland (a massive, massive error... almost totally laughable, actually) and also taking care of running the football operations... and who knows what else. Who even cares, it's clear that we're f**ked again long term. NRL clearly doesn't give a stuff, either... as long as we're cheap to run and thus attractive to potential buyers.

... and f**king lol @ his work with Queensland. Honestly, how hard is it to take 10+ of the best players in the world, get them riled up for a big game and then show them where the tunnel is? Even easier than clearing Joey's eyes after a bender and pushing him out onto the field, I'd wager.

There are some major league myths and frauds in Rugby League - Hages is near the top of the pile. We now need this junior crop to be our absolute best ever. Better than the '06 Flegg team... and they need to have as much or more collective impact on the first grade team as Andrew Johns did. It's the only way we're going to win anything again that I can see, because this clown committee we're assembling in management is becoming very embarrassing.

Last edited:
And what if it works and he succeeds? What will be the response then? He has been the assistant in the most dominant Origin side in history. Why trivialise that? Maybe the potential buyers asked for him. We do not know. I accept the reasons for doubt and yes they have grounds. However we failed with Bennett. Epically. Where else do you go but start from scratch. We can only hope history will not repeat itself.

perverse

Referee
And what if it works and he succeeds? What will be the response then? He has been the assistant in the most dominant Origin side in history. Why trivialise that? Maybe the potential buyers asked for him. We do not know. I accept the reasons for doubt and yes they have grounds. However we failed with Bennett. Epically. Where else do you go but start from scratch. We can only hope history will not repeat itself.
You clearly don't remember how desperate we were to get rid of him last time.

Why trivialise it? Simple, it's there to be trivialised. I could have coached that team to beat NSW over that period. QLD's dominance has had everything to do with the extreme mismatch of skill on the park, not off the park.

Hell, even if you don't trivialise his success with QLD at all - do you honestly believe Michael Hagen is the right man to be leading our recruitment and retention? Do you remember last time he had a say in our recruitment and retention? Here's the refresher: we recruited practically no-one, only one of them turned out to be any value whatsoever (Craig Smith was a good value signing imo), and our team continued to get worse and worse until the day the guy left. We fell apart year on year, juniors failed to prosper as a rule unless they went to another club. It was a very f**ked time. Assistant coaching a team of superstars for 3 weeks of the year is a lot different to being in charge of recruitment, retention and football operations at an NRL club.

Showstopper - do you believe the club has done due diligence and recruited the best man for the job? Do you think they even asked anyone else at all?

The worst thing to come out of everything Tinkler related is that now the club and the town feel a bit stung and even more afraid of professionalism than we were before the takeover. The old boys can now walk back into their plum roles at the club, and no-one will stand in their way or speak against them unless it is to applaud and pat each other on the back.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
The only time Hagan gets any credit for what he "does" in the QLD camp is when someone wants to discredit Mal. He is a myth of the highest order and I simply cannot believe we are giving him a job

Jeezus we are a rabble. Hoping he'll somehow defy the odds and be good at his job is bloody laughable

Haffa

The only time Hagan gets any credit for what he "does" in the QLD camp is when someone wants to discredit Mal. He is a myth of the highest order and I simply cannot believe we are giving him a job

Jeezus we are a rabble. Hoping he'll somehow defy the odds and be good at his job is bloody laughable

Agreed, I've done it myself from time to time but only to demonstrate how anybody could have led that to team to a large number of those origin series wins. I have zero faith in Hagan to do anything other than his KOFM slot.

By the end of his coaching reign when we'd become a complete rabble everyone wanted him gone.

The culture of this club at times makes me wish I was born elsewhere.

perverse

Referee
The Facebook comments prove I must want different things from this club.
Your average Knights fan will absolutely applaud this assignment. A vast majority of Novocastrians believe that the old boys way is the right way. I don't know why our club can't find a balance in this area... get professionals in based on merit and highlight them with a good local appointment here and there. We either seem to go full genius one way or the other, without even considering that maybe there's a middle ground between out-of-towners running the show and the old boys meat raffle mentality.

hugzy

Juniors
I always thought he sucked tactically and game plan wise. But is a great man manager and motivator. So not sure how that translates into his new role