What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Michael Maguire sacked by Wests Tigers

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't reckon Madge is a rubbish coach at all, and I don't reckon he did a lot wrong at the Tigers. He's not a top coach either, mind you.

I think it's obvious that the Tigers have much deeper issues than the coach, like any struggling club. Plenty of firsthand experience of that as a fan.

I also think that Madge was probably not the right coach for the Tigers...a man famed for his almost manic intensity coaching one of the laziest, most carefree and least structured teams in the comp. He was on a bit of a hiding to nothing especially with the recruitment the way it was (and I have no idea how much of a role he played in that side of things). I'd even say he had the right idea, cos the Tigers probably won't improve playing the same off the cuff footy they have since the early 2000s...

I don't reckon Madge is a rubbish coach at all, and I don't reckon he did a lot wrong at the Tigers. He's not a top coach either, mind you.

I think it's obvious that the Tigers have much deeper issues than the coach, like any struggling club. Plenty of firsthand experience of that as a fan.

I also think that Madge was probably not the right coach for the Tigers...a man famed for his almost manic intensity coaching one of the laziest, most carefree and least structured teams in the comp. He was on a bit of a hiding to nothing especially with the recruitment the way it was (and I have no idea how much of a role he played in that side of things). I'd even say he had the right idea, cos the Tigers probably won't improve playing the same off the cuff footy they have since the early 2000s...
The Warriors could use a tough, disciplinarian like Madge but would probably fail for similar reasons you outlined with Tigers. Maybe Titans would be a good fit?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Once people found out a week ago the chairman backed him and said he'll be coach for a long period, you knew he was gone.

yobbo84

Coach
The baldies are copping a hiding, Bea Arthur is safe as a house but 😐
Madge's biggest mistake was thinking he could turn the club around. I don't think he's a development coach. He has shown he can't build a roster.

I mean he did turn Souths around, but we had so many top players that weren't being coached (Inglis, Burgess, etc). It wasn't a talent issue.

He should be looking at clubs with good rosters that just need that extra little bit of push to get over the line.

He would be great for Parra if Arthur can't get you a premiership.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Wobbie and Benji will be the first co-head coaches appointed to an NRL team. Bulldogs don't want to be first in this space, but will closely follow the WT lead by appointing the Walker brothers as co-head coaches for 2023.

Roosters went close a few years back, but Dean didn't want to be associated with his brother.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Wobbie and Benji will be the first co-head coaches appointed to an NRL team. Bulldogs don't want to be first in this space, but will closely follow the WT lead by appointing the Walker brothers as co-head coaches for 2023.

Roosters went close a few years back, but Dean didn't want to be associated with his brother.

You know the Walker brothers divorced? They are not coaching together anymore.

big hit!

Bench
LOL the Kent on 360 talking up an inexperienced coach because he thought Sheens was talking about hiring a developing coach, rather than a coach who could develop young players in the club and the roster. I liked how Sheens was up front about what they had to do and shut down Kent's shit.

Once Brown was let go, in addition to Barrett a couple of weeks ago, Tigers had to pull the trigger. They're still losing and there's been no improvement in 3 1/2 years. Madge is not the answer for the tigers. Sheens gave him as much time as he could, but as soon as other clubs started to make moves, he knew he had to act now or be left behind when it came to landing the coach they want, and being attractive to players in the market.

This leaves clubs like Gold Coast and Newcastle in precarious positions right now if they're thinking about a coaching change at the moment. Wests didn't want to be them.

Frailty

First Grade
I know it's failed all the previous times, but I'm sure sacking the coach will work THIS time for the Tigers.

It's always been the coaches fault, and definitely not the management team who keep hiring and firing them, and looking after retention and recruitment.

MugaB

Coach
I know it's failed all the previous times, but I'm sure sacking the coach will work THIS time for the Tigers.

It's always been the coaches fault, and definitely not the management team who keep hiring and firing them, and looking after retention and recruitment.
Pascoe gone for sure this time right, whoever gets the coaching gig, has to succeed for his sake, coz if they dont, Pascoes is a deadmanwalking,, sorry i should have said "will have the full support of the board"

They should bring back Ivan

MugaB

Coach
You wash your mouth out!!
Hey i was a fan of ivan and the bus, before he drive the bus to the riff... the tigers team were a bunch of outcasts but were rallying and narrowly beating some of the best sides in the comp, luke brooks got dally m halfback of the year... Ivan got them up.. pascoe has been letting them and their fans down

GongPanther

Referee
IMO, the Tiges will do well to go all out for Ciraldo. He will know how to bring along these juniors that are coming through, plus the added bonus of some Penrith players being attracted to being played under him. But it will take time and fans will have to be patient during a pending slow start to aim for long term success.

IMO, the Tiges will do well to go all out for Ciraldo. He will know how to bring along these juniors that are coming through, plus the added bonus of some Penrith players being attracted to being played under him. But it will take time and fans will have to be patient during a pending slow start to aim for long term success.
In my view, CC is far and away the best potential candidate.

While I’m visiting Mulgoa Rd I’d also be on the scrounge for SOS and to pay Brooksy $400k to play elsewhere.

Plus I think Edwards is pretty handy, Laurie to slum it in the centres or wing.

Nado is doing the job.