What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Speechley

greg

Juniors
Interesting thread about Michael Speechley on the Eels forum. The article mentioned all his previous clubs except us. (He played U23 in 1982 if I'm correct).

Jeffles

Bench
Did they mention his junior clubs? Usually people's lower grade credentials can be overlooked.

Am I correct to say he played in the 1982 3rd Grade Grand Final?

greg

Juniors
Correct you are Jeffles. We lost 7-6 to the Eels. It was called Under 23's back then. Beaten by the eels in 81 and then in 82, oh the pain.

mightybears

Bench
he played most of 1983 in first grade

the article mentions souths and not newtown, he played more first grade at newtown
bugger all at souths and made his name at cronulla

mightybears

Bench
Jeffles said:
Well if he played 1st grade at Newtown it is an oversight to omit it.

i'd imagine its the "out of the nrl, out of mind" mentality of the media [and some RL supporters!].

the whiticker and hudson has:
Newtown 1983-16 games
Souths 84 to 85-8 games
Cronulla 86 to 92-120 games
Parra 93 to 95-33 games

ignoring lower grade and junior matches

and a damn good tackler n defender he was
combine him with chris walker and you'd have a champion!

bluebag43

Juniors
Yeah Mighty Bears, it is the "out of the nrl, out of mind" mentality. But for once the smarta**es have done us a favour, as it is something we don't obviously want to be associated with. We already have our share of ex players that are colourful identities!

girvie

Staff member
I remember collecting footy cards in 94 and they had a set of 10 year tributes and Michael Speechley had one which listed all the clubs he played for. It was probably the first time i had heard of Newtown.

Speechley played his last game in 95. Would he have been the last of Newtown's 1983 side to be playing in the top grade?

bluebag43

Juniors
Yes, I believe he would have been the last of Newtown's 1983 side to be playing top grade. An interesting point about Michael was that he started his career with Newtown in 1982 after coming through the Newtown junior league and finished his career playing for Newtown in the Metro Cup in 1996. He was instrumental in us winning the Premiership that year, as he oftened played injured to help out Col and the Club.

Michael Speechley most definitley played first grade for the Jets,apart from Graeme O'Grady,Col Casey and Tommy R,I could say he is my all time favourite rugby league player.

.In any discussion of League defenders ,I never fail to nominate him as the best tackler I have ever seen,there may have been more powerful and aggresive tacklers but none more consistent.

Was he any relation to the several speechleys who have played for newtown over the years?(Frank Speechley is one name that springs to mind)

mightybears

Bench
colcaseysheadband said:
Michael Speechley most definitley played first grade for the Jets,apart from Graeme O'Grady,Col Casey and Tommy R,I could say he is my all time favourite rugby league player.

.In any discussion of League defenders ,I never fail to nominate him as the best tackler I have ever seen,there may have been more powerful and aggresive tacklers but none more consistent.

Was he any relation to the several speechleys who have played for newtown over the years?(Frank Speechley is one name that springs to mind)

not sure if it was here or the norths forum, but in discussion about the frank hyde/43 gf and who is still alive jeffles? said frank speechley was and that he was the grandfather of michael

mightybears

Bench
girvie said:
I remember collecting footy cards in 94 and they had a set of 10 year tributes and Michael Speechley had one which listed all the clubs he played for. It was probably the first time i had heard of Newtown.

Speechley played his last game in 95. Would he have been the last of Newtown's 1983 side to be playing in the top grade?

i remember at the time a media article saying he was the last ex newtown first grader to give the game away in the sydney comp

Jeffles

Bench
He was the last of the ex Jets players to give it away in Sydney. And I think ET was the last player to play who had ever played while the Jets were in the comp.

Bluebag and Is poke to Frank Speechley at Henson Park one day this year. From memory I think he said they were related but it was a bit distant. Something less direct than grandparent.

greg

Juniors
Spot on NBB, and he got a grand final guernsey in 81 because Steve BOWDEN was suspended for throwing a few harmless Liverpool Kisses at Mark Broadhurst.

Latest posts