What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Witt appreciation thread

wittyfan

Referee
Hehe, I will try and get to the game!

I don't think his injury is that serious, but we'll know tomorrow when the teams are picked!

wittyfan

Referee
Article on Witty from the Toowoomba Chronicle:

Backpage_21jul06.jpg

PRICE RIGHT FOR WITT
By Sarah Balderson

MICHAEL Witt will rejoin his former Under seven coach and mentor Steve Price after signing a one-year National Rugby League contract with the New Zealand Warriors.

The Newtown Lions junior will make the trek across the Tasman in an attempt to secure an A Grade position and play alongside the Warriors captain.

Price has played a big role in Witt's football career and he is still an integral part of the young player's life.

"Since I was 15 and signed with Parramatta he has rung me up to see how I was going," Witt said yesterday.

"Steve has always said if there was any problem to just give him a call.

"He has always been there to help out with anything I needed."

The 22-year-old has had a lean season at NRL level this year with just one appearance for the Manly Sea Eagles after being used 19 times in 2005.

"With Matt Orford arriving at Manly this year it hasn't been one of my best seasons," he said.

"It has been pretty frustrating.

"I've been in premier league all year, but believe I can still make a contribution at First Grade level."

Witt said when the Warriors approached his manager he felt it was the right time to move on.

"It has been a tough year," he said.

"Personally for me the best thing to do to further my footy and get back into A Grade was to move on and start over."

Witt knows he will have to start at the bottom and work his way up again despite playing 47 NRL matches for Parramatta and Manly.

In his favour, he already is known to the Warriors, after scoring 24 points against them from two tries and eight goals in the Eels' 48-18 win at Parramatta Stadium in 2004.

It is a year of big changes for Witt who will marry his fiancee Angie at the Gold Coast in October.

"Then we are pretty much off after that," he said.

"I have only signed for one year.

"My fiancee and I spoke about it and if worst comes to worst it will be just like a long honeymoon.

"If we don't like it we'll just come home."

Witt said he was sad to be leaving his brother, Steven, who lives just around the corner, and his Toowoomba-based parents.

"Mum was a bit upset that I was moving so far away," he said.

"But they have to catch a plane to see me in Sydney so now they just have to catch a plane to come to New Zealand and visit."

Source: http://www.thechronicle.com.au/localsport/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3693365&thesection=localsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

RK

First Grade
Pardon my ignorance but is Michael Witt a 1st grade player or is he more a lower grade player???

lockyno1

Post Whore
He is a first grade player but has been unfairly dealt with by Des Hasler. Witty will prove his worth next year!

lockyno1

Post Whore
He has not been given a chance to shine. He is a confidence player and needs a opportunity!

wittyfan

Referee
Paul Lewis: Warriors look good and I'm not joking
Sunday July 30, 2006

There will be a lot of people who do not agree with this but I fancy the Warriors for a reasonable season next year.

Top eight might be a big call. After all, knowledgeable judges like Graham Lowe and Matthew Ridge have already predicted a lack of success again because the Warriors do not have that player with the 'X-factor'; a playmaker and a gamebreaker.

But don't rule it out. The Warriors have been putting their house in order this year after that woeful salary cap business. Now, as they swell their ranks with more Australians, they are increasingly having to defend themselves from charges that they are indeed a youth and development side - buying Australian youth and developing it.

Who cares? They can import Eskimos, Kalahari bushmen and occupants of the planet Yurg for all I care, if it works.

As has been made painfully clear, the Warriors won't/can't buy a Johnathan Thurston or a Darren Lockyer and they haven't yet perfected the talent-spotting-and-keeping techniques that bring a Benji Marshall to their door instead of to the Tigers. So what's left? Boxing smarter.

They have. In their run of four victories in a row, the Warriors demonstrated not only that they were adopting a more efficient, Australian, percentage-based style but also that the local players in the team were benefiting from it.

It has been no accident that Simon Mannering has begun to impress people during this more structured approach. Same with Patrick Ah Van.

Manu Vatuvei is scoring tries and building longer periods between his handling horrors, Jerome Ropati has impressed with his steady custodianship of the No 6 jersey while the Warriors were out hunting for Michael Witt, perhaps the key player for next season.

Sione Faumuina, the prince of serial offenders in senseless offloads, has reined in his propensity for throwing the ball at passing shadows.

Anyone wondering why Steve Price has added try-scoring to his long list of attributes need look no further than this consistency and structure.

While some see it as inexplicable cutting of big names to balance the books, the Warriors have clearly been balancing their complement as well. Clinton Toopi's eccentric, erratic brilliance has been farewelled by a club that seems to be ditching star status for stellar performance.

Slowly - maybe even very slowly - the club is building a team that works together and grows together on results. They seem to be slowly constructing belief in themselves as opposed to their old Jekyll and Hyde character which saw them play 20 minutes of flashy, exciting league - but lose the match through basics like sloppy marking up on a play-the-ball or losing possession at a vital moment.

The old Warriors, however, wouldn't let a loss stop them. They'd take that 20 minutes of showy league to the nearest nightclub and strut it up for the sheilas with a few glasses of bourbon and Red Bull and some moves on the dance floor.

I'm not saying that the new Warriors never go to nightclubs. But, even if they do, it seems to me they are looking to lose the movie-star syndrome and adopt the persona of a group of professionals.

The only similarity between the words 'image' and 'improvement' is that they start with the same two letters. Improvement builds image. The reverse is not the case. The egos have landed.

Perhaps the biggest advance the Warriors have made this year is Grant Rovelli. Still learning his trade, the young Australian has come a huge distance in a short time. Sharing the kicking duties with Nathan Fien has brought a more settled platform for the Warriors, who used to struggle dismally with their kicking game.

Rovelli is seventh in the NRL for kicks in play and for try assists. Fien is 12th and 15th respectively in the same lists.

But they are going to miss Brent Webb. The Warriors are confident they have a fine player in Wade McKinnon and they may well be right. Old Warriors he might be, but Webb is a force on attack, providing nimble, unexpected penetration to balance the new structure the team is showing. He is second in the NRL top 20 line-breakers and featured highly in terms of hit-ups, try assists (11th) and try-scoring (16th) until his recent injury break.

He'll be missed. It remains to be seen whether the Warriors, 2007 version, will take their teamwork to a new level. I'd say they will.

Basics builds brilliance. The reverse is never true.

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10393627

Perhaps the key player? Witty will be the key player!

jet23

Juniors
Yeah I hope Witt does play well next year for the warriors..hopefully well enough to help us make the eight for the first time in four years..Mckinnon, Witt, Rovelli and Fien at 1, 6, 7 & 9 respectively sure looks pretty good on paper..can't wait to see how he goes

wittyz chick

Coach
The Warriors will be awesome next year ... they've got Witt!!! and also McKinnon

But just watch what Witty can do :D!!!

lockyno1

Post Whore
I agree WC. With Witty there, they are a good chance at seeing their first NRL Premiership!

jet23

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
I agree WC. With Witty there, they are a good chance at seeing their first NRL Premiership!

Now that would be nice..can't imagine it happening though..I would be content if we just qualify for the finals

Latest posts