What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Micheal Luck

What are your thoughts on his use for our pack?

A lot ov people had argued in the past that we need him to make up the tackles. I've never been a fan ov him but I sort ov agree with that statement (however we did alright without him for that period last year).

However now with Taylor, who is a tackling machine and not a complete handbrake on attack, is there any real use for Lucky? Especially if Simon moves back into the second row at some stage. And even more especially next year when we have Friend who can make 50+ tackles a game.

Semi-related second row discussion, what the crap is Brown (our best player for the first 9 rounds) doing playing off the bench at the moment?

nibbs

Bench
Michael Luck always takes some stopping when he hits up it. And he has developed a dummy and an offload in the recent weeks. My hat goes off to Michael.

Meth

Staff member
I rate Luck. I also feel like we've had this conversation for some time, and that having Taylor and Luck in the side seems to be working out quite well for us at the moment.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
I admit Lucks attack has improved slightly in resent weeks, still pron to throw the odd hospital.
Taylor just needs to work on fitness and will gain experience

devoid

Juniors
Luck has continued to improve every season. He has added mongrel to his defence, he takes the tough hit-ups, is tireless, a talker, and deserves his place imo.

I think Brown has played from the bench in the past two games as the impact backrower - Ta'ai, who usually plays the role, was missing against the Knights, and played the role of prop/ruck forward vs. Souths. Browns minutes are still up there. If you are thinking it is a demotion for Lewis, I wouldn't worry. It is just the Warriors trying to keep a balance with all of their best players taking part. It will be interesting when we have a fully fit squad though - however, maybe we never see that happen. Having an abundance of second rowers has helped us already this season.

Izz

Bench
c'mon mate, 50 + tackles ??

The bunnies played very well, could have had something to do with our attack ?

His defense was great, no question. Worked Dave Taylor over a couple times in the ruck too, which made me grin, and made Daylor sook.

But i think he was trying too hard when he had the ball in hand, which meant he was either popping dubious passes (except for one to Mannering second half that created some space), or hitting the line with absolutely no power.

Not saying he can't attack, but this weekend wasn't a great example of him doing so. And as you say, bunnies fought hard. And often it looked like our backline had two different minds. 80% of the time when Locke looked to inject himself he was a couple steps deeper than everybody else, and there were other times when we had an almost zig zag formation.

Last edited:

Judd

Juniors
I dont think Brown is 100% and the reason why Cleary threw in Berrigan to start. Luck is playing some of the best footbal I've seen him play in a Warriors jersey.

Matua

Bench
I'm not a big fan of Luck but admit he does his job well - workrate, workrate, workrate. However I'm not sure we need two guys doing that role and as each game passes Taylor looks better and better at the same role. He's the Michael Luck x 2

In saying that Clearly likes his non flashy players so I expect Luck is pretty safe.

hitman82

Bench
Next season, I hope Cleary can make the big call and pick Taylor over Luck. But in reality I see Ta'ai missing out. Which sucks.

However, hopefully Mannering will be kept at centre and it won't be an issue.

ozbash

Referee
His defense was great, no question. Worked Dave Taylor over a couple times in the ruck too, which made me grin, and made Daylor sook.

But i think he was trying too hard when he had the ball in hand, which meant he was either popping dubious passes (except for one to Mannering second half that created some space), or hitting the line with absolutely no power.

Not saying he can't attack, but this weekend wasn't a great example of him doing so. And as you say, bunnies fought hard. And often it looked like our backline had two different minds. 80% of the time when Locke looked to inject himself he was a couple steps deeper than everybody else, and there were other times when we had an almost zig zag formation.

lol, yea. I liked it when he passed to himself early first half, bunnies must have wondered wtf was going on :lol:

_addict

Juniors
I dont think Brown is 100% and the reason why Cleary threw in Berrigan to start. Luck is playing some of the best footbal I've seen him play in a Warriors jersey.

-Yup, my thoughts exactly. He's had a stellar season thus far and stood out in the Kiwis game. When he backed up against against the Titans he still tried his heart out, but looked very weary. The bye has been long awaited for many of our boys, and not many more so than Brown.

As for Luck, he's been a good servant for the club. He has his strengths (defense) and his limitations (not defense;-)). What he is doing is fulfilling the role appointed for him and doing his best to neutralise opposition roll-on. It sure isn't pretty and he doesn't put on shots with much wow factor, but there is a place for guys who do the graft. I'm not saying that it is always enough to warrant retention in the team, but I think it is an attribute that is too often under-valued by the fan, yet is significant enough in the team make-up, for it to be so.

Also although he may not impress from a spectator view, I seem to recall a recent article about Elijah Taylor where he seemed to be saying that he had learned alot from Luck. If his attitude is rubbing off on the youngsters and helping them to develope the right playing ethic then I applaud both pupil and teacher.

Lastly regarding him in the Rabbitohs game, he was playing pretty well until he copped an injury.

Warmess

Juniors
Luck: Good defender, adds some experience and seniority to a somewhat inexperienced side.
Rapira: Good defender, crunching tackler, runs amazing lines, adds mongrel (see rat tail on head), plenty of development still to come.

It's a tough one, but I think I'll go with Rapira.

blain

Juniors
I think we need Luck for next year while Raps and Taylor gain experience. Hes signed until then also, so I think its a good time for him to go after that.

hitman82

Bench
Luck: Good defender, adds some experience and seniority to a somewhat inexperienced side.
Rapira: Good defender, crunching tackler, runs amazing lines, adds mongrel (see rat tail on head), plenty of development still to come.

It's a tough one, but I think I'll go with Rapira.

Damn right., He gets the spot on hair style alone!

Latest posts