What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid season transfers

hindy111

Post Whore
I think this is opening a can of worms.
Clubs who cant make the finals are going to start off loading guys they wont be keeping next year and it gives the top teams the capacity to fill long term injury spots. The bulldogs have signed 2 wingers and now melbourne are getting fa'asso...
Isnt this a little unfair on teams like Manly?

Gronk

Staff member
Did you hear that Fa'asso has been released to Storm for the rest of the year but will play for Manly next year ? WTF

Eels Dude

Coach
Did you hear that Fa'asso has been released to Storm for the rest of the year but will play for Manly next year ? WTF

Ok missed that... that is certainly strange. Surely there must be salary cap rules preventing such a deal.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
anything thats unfair on Manly is fine by me

how can this be a bad thing

strider

Post Whore

thats pretty whacked .... manly were trying to get shack, why wouldn't they want richie if they want him for next year?

i think the thing we don't get to see is how much teams are willing to pay this year for any mi-season pick ups

hindy111

Post Whore
Manly and Birsbane than.The point is they are filling spaces mid season in there squad so to other teams who may have an injury in 4-5 weeks its a little unfair-I dont like it

Newtowneel

Juniors
We've gained no advantage from gaining Kelly mid-season, lol. I agree with you but we have taken advantage of the system like everyone else. I like to believe in the illusion of club loyalty (at least until the end of each season) Seeing a player change colours mid-season is somewhat disturbing but that's the modern game for you

natheel

Coach
who are the mid-season switches so far?

Luke Kelly - Storm to Eels
Krisnan Inu - Warriors to Bulldogs
Sam Perrett - Roosters to Bulldogs
Nafe Seluini - Panthers to Roosters
Sandor Earl - Panthers to Raiders
Anthony Mitchell - Roosters to Cowboys

and another that was being looked at was Luke Lewis from Panthers to Eels, it was in the RLW today (wednesday) but apparently it won't happen as a mid-season switch

oldmancraigy

Coach
The thing is, the mid-season transfers can only take place if a club has room to absorb the remaining salary of the player they are going to absorb.

So for Manly taking Shack, they wanted us to pay most of his money and then they take him on a second tier deal, because their cap was maxxed. Obviously we said "no pay no play".

For Melbourne, we took Kelly from them, which freed up the cap room for them to take on Fa'aso.

The only thing wrong with the system is that it needs to be formalized as more of a 'trading' system (you give and receive equal amounts of salary and can thus give up a prop to receive a backrower).

What's the problem?

Any team with salary cap room can acquire an additional player via mid-season transfer / signing an uncontracted player. There's no bias here. Who is unfairly advantaged by this (I'd be quite happy if it was Manly....but I just don't get what people think is the problem)? It's not as if a team can just sign half a dozen extra players for the semis.....unless they've managed to make the semis using a team $1mil under the salary cap...in which case good luck to them. If you've already spent your salary cap, that's your choice.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What's the problem?

Any team with salary cap room can acquire an additional player via mid-season transfer / signing an uncontracted player. There's no bias here. Who is unfairly advantaged by this (I'd be quite happy if it was Manly....but I just don't get what people think is the problem)? It's not as if a team can just sign half a dozen extra players for the semis.....unless they've managed to make the semis using a team $1mil under the salary cap...in which case good luck to them. If you've already spent your salary cap, that's your choice.

Yeah agree I don't have a problem . Also top teams can only sign players from lower sides if the the lower side agrees. Also most of the players which have changed sides have been in reserve grade.

Noise

Coach
Yea what's the problem? We got Kelly this year because of it. Mid season transfers are available to all teams so there is nothing unfair about it. If a team has room in their salary cap to acquire an extra player good luck to them - they have obviously been managing their salary cap well.

born an eel

Bench
good luck keeping your juniors if they think they will get a chance in first grade because of injury only to see that place go to a transfer from another club.

good luck keeping your juniors if they think they will get a chance in first grade because of injury only to see that place go to a transfer from another club.

That's simply a trade-off that clubs are aware of. And they make the decision in the knowledge that promoting a junior may adversely affect *next* years salary cap.

Latest posts