What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty Changa Langlands

ouryears

Bench
Graeme Langlands was a shy kid from Wollongong when he joined the mighty St George club in the midst of their 11-year run as the undisputed premiership kings.

He went on to become one of the all-time greats, reaching Immortal status in 1999 after narrowly missing selection among the original Immortals in 1981.

He played 227 games for the Dragons over a 14-year career and captained Australia 15 times.

This is the story of how he rose through the ranks on his way to signing with St George.

This is the first of a three-part piece on Langlands which ran over three Rugby League Week issues on June 28, July 5 and 12, 1975. It was titled "The Mighty Chang", written by Philip Jenkins.

Graeme Frank Langlands was a skinny kid in the days when World War I was swinging in the balance — and no-one knew what quite the future held.

Wollongong hasn't spawned such a son since the enigmatic Norman Gunston came along recently to keep the name of the 'Gong high in the headlines.

Chang, favourite son of everyone who calls himself a St George fan, first saw the light of day September 2, 1941.

Graeme Langlands' Immortal career

He was born to Zell and Bill Langlands who were then living at Corrimal Street, Wollongong, deep in the heart of Rugby League territory, with the tang of the Port Kembla steelworks in the air.

He was an ordinary kid. A pushing, shoving short-back-and-sides kid who didn't do what he was told and loved a scrap better than anything.

No one knew that that young Graeme was to sustain the most amazing record a Rugby League player has ever since the game creaked off the mark back in 1908.

But even as a marble-playing, socks-around-the-ankles kid Chang showed the first signs of his love for Rugby League, the game that was to shape and dictate his life.

As a kid he would zip along the Wollongong streets side-stepping people as they strolled by. The Langlands side-step, a Rugby League marvel for more than a dozen years, was born.

Once he side-stepped too far in a Wollongong Park, hit a pole and knocked himself out.

Chang first played League when he was about eight. His first memories of League are of running on at half-time with junior teams during big match breaks and giving the mob something to watch while they waited for the stars to come back on.

The young Chang raged around Wollongong like most kids his age. He went to school there — Wollongong primary and then Wollongong tech with a brief sojourn at a Sydney college sandwiched in the middle.

Graeme Langlands' Hall of Fame Career

Langlands looks to beat a Parramatta defender during a match at the SCG.
1971-st-george-v-parramatta-graeme-langlands.jpg

Langlands looks to beat a Parramatta defender during a match at the SCG.
1973-kicking-st-george-v-newtown-graeme-langlands.jpg

Langlands’ kicking game – both in general play and for goal -was yet another string to his bow.
1974-evade-st-george-v-manly-graeme-langlands.jpg

Langlands looks to evade the tackle of Manly’s Kangaroo prop Bill Hamilton in a match at the SCG.
At Wollongong tech he studied through to the intermediate certificate, and then headed out into the world.

Panel beating was the trade he settled on. For £3/5/- when he started, and £5 when he finished, the young Chang learned the business of knocking cars back into shape.

Asked about it now, he says wistfully: "If it wasn't for football I'd probably still be a panelbeater in Wollongong. Probably right now I'd be standing in a pub down there having a couple of beers."

Langlands' tool of trade now lie somewhere deep at the bottom of Wollongong harbour.

They landed there the day he decided Rugby League was going to be his life.

Chang mixed a busy sporting life with his early days in the business world of Wollongong. Rugby League, surfing, basketball ... they all had a place in the life of the young Langlands.

graeme-langlands.jpg

As an 18-year-old he represented Illawarra at basketball. Around the same age he was showing the competitive spirit in the surf, winning musical flag, belt and surf events for Wollongong club.

But it was always going to be Rugby League. For a time his mother Zell resisted — but Graeme kept bringing home football trophies — and she relented.

The accidents and injuries which were to become an unwelcome part of his life were with him even in those early days.

Once he ran a nine inch long wood splinter into his back — and needed hospital treatment to get it out. At 11 he suffered a bad injury to his left hand and for a time they thought he might lose it. Then he needed a cartilage operation after injuring his knee in his first year with Wollongong Rugby League club.

One day in 1961 when torrerrential rain sent floodwaters swirling around Wollongong, Langlands almost lost his life. He was a member of a flood relief party from Wollongong surf club. Another club member managed to grab him by one arm as he threatened to make a rescue attempt in the dangerous waters on the outskirts of the town. But Chang, the greatest survivor of them all, survived.

In 1961 Langlands played his first representative game for Illawarra. The brash teenager with the duck-tail hair cut by that time had firmly established himself in the Wollongong team at fullback.

A good player named Ellis Bridge had been switched to the wing to make room for Chang. Wollongong knew they had a winner — but they didn't know how long they could hang on to him.

langlandsmudpic.jpg

Sydney clubs were already buzzing about the young fullback from the south coast — and another young fullback from the coalfields named Les Johns.

In 1962 Johns was named Country Firsts fullback and Langlands was in Country Seconds.

But fate took a hand. Johns dropped out with injury and the fresh-faced kid from Wollongong got the call-up. The record books tell the rest of the story.

Country, with the skilful Tony Paskins as skipper, skittled the City stars 18-8.

Chang had arrived. That night, flushed with success he had Country team-mate Ron Hopper stopped at St George Leagues club — the old St George Leagues club — to have a couple of celebratory beers.

They were on their way back down the coast. Standing a stone's throw along the bar was Frank "Fearless" Facer, the eagle-eyed St George secretary. After a while Facer came over and talked about the game with Langlands and Hopper over a couple of middies.

It was innocent talk; at that stage Saints didn't want a fullback. They had Brian Graham, a cool customer who was doing the job they wanted.

One month later Graham was transferred to Korea in his job.

Suddenly Saints needed a fullback.

Langlands, the freakish, side-stepping goalkicking kid from the south coast was the one they settled on.

Soon after, one of the most remarkable player-club associations in the history of Rugby League began.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/forums/st-george-illawarra-dragons.84/create-thread

Langlands and Billy Simith were my favourite St George players in the 60s/70s.
Possm, as a 12 yr old watching changalang at the SCG every Saturday, he was my childhood hero, along with Billy Smith. Changa was amazing, I don’t ever think I saw him pulled down by any of the first 4 defenders, run, step, run, run, step, just amazing. Always made at least 35 metres on kick returns with his sublime side step and fend.

His combination with smithy brought us a heap of tries, best combination even to this day, I say that with no favouritism, no other combination come close, not remotely.

Sure, slater is a good fullback, as was Brett Stewart and others, but changa was 3 levels above even slater and co. Changa never threw a tanty like slater has, never played dirty, he played hard, he was tough as teak, a freak, a champion and immortal.

I saw him play approx 60 games, I miss those days, they seem far more romantic, far more innocent, more natural talent, great skill and wonderful memories.

Saw changa lead the Aussies to great wins over very good pommie sides, play on one leg, one arm dangling, never say die, then carried off the field by his team, celebrating a third test series win, the crowd chanting Changa, Changa, Changa.

Imagine these days a crowd chanting slaters name when all clubs supporters go to international games, not a chance.

Thanks for the great post, photos and stories possm..

ouryears

Bench
I agree both had great skills' but in my opinion both raper and smith had more between the ears.
mate, langlands was the leader, captain and coach Of the Aussie team as well...best player I ever saw, best on field leader I ever saw, a man amongst men, a champion, simply amazing player. Just impossibly wonderful skills.

Sublime, superb, the best.

Daylight 5th

ouryears

Bench
You don't believe Changa is better than Hayne?
Hayne is like a rusted battered VW beetle to the best car in the world if comparing him to Changa.

Seriously, Hayne is a 5 if changa is a 10.
No comparison, zilch, nil, none.

Slater is 6.
Lockyer at fullback 6.

Changa 10.
Believe me men, that is truly the difference.

Think of Thurston as a 7 as a footballer.....changa 10.

Picturing it?

Fire

First Grade
Hayne is like a rusted battered VW beetle to the best car in the worldif comparing him to Changa.

Seriously, Hayne is a 5 if changa is a 10.

No comparison, zilch, nil, none.

Slater is 6.

Lockyer at fullback 6.

Change 10.
Believe me men, that is truly the difference.
I'd give Changa 6.

ouryears

Bench
I agree both had great skills' but in my opinion both raper and smith had more between the ears.
All 3 were larrikins.
None had a lot up there.
But they were brilliant, hard but fair players.

Proud to call all 3 saints.

jak

Bench
mate, langlands was the leader, captain and coach Of the Aussie team as well...best player I ever saw, best on field leader I ever saw, a man amongst men, a champion, simply amazing player. Just impossibly wonderful skills.

Sublime, superb, the best.

Daylight 5th
if you want on field leaders for saints other than raper I would say walsh or my old mans pick Kearney.

possm

Coach
Changa and Smith, how the crowd at the SCG used to rise to it's fee in anticipation of the ball comng their way. In their prime, the two all time greats for me.

No far behind at all was Raper and what a great role he played in the team. An excellent lock with great technique both in defence and attack. Cut the opposition down regularly with his trade mark covering defence - leg tackles. Could be very deceptive in defence and often through an accurate cut out pass to put one of his teammates through to score.

ouryears

Bench
Changa and Smith, how the crowd at the SCG used to rise to it's fee in anticipation of the ball comng their way. In their prime, the two all time greats for me.

No far behind at all was Raper and what a great role he played in the team. An excellent lock with great technique both in defence and attack. Cut the opposition down regularly with his trade mark covering defence - leg tackles. Could be very deceptive in defence and often through an accurate cut out pass to put one of his teammates through to score.
To think we also had Gasnier, Johnny King, our awesome forward pack, Branson, Hawthorne a little bit later, players like Ian Walsh, Kearney, Wittenberg, Rasmussen, Provan, geeze we were kissed by the football gods.

Then to top it off we had Frank Facer.......Doust must surely realise he is a punce in comparison.

Old Timer

Coach
if you want on field leaders for saints other than raper I would say walsh or my old mans pick Kearney.
Provan IMO runs rings around Walsh & Raper as an onfield leader and his record stands for itself.
Walsh had the unfortunate legacy of coming behind Killer & Sticks and IMO lacked the aloofness that they both had.
By aloofness I mean the ability to make the really hard and professional decisions outside of friendships.
Walsh was a good player and did have the distinction of Captain / Coaching a premiership side and a winning Kangaroos side in the same year but in my heart of hearts I believe Ryan would have been a better choice for the Dragons.
Raper was great player and came to the captaincy well after the golden years and unfortunately the team was in decline and the steely discipline long gone.
Did he play great footy and leave it all on the paddock, yep he sure did but not necessarily a great captain despite his unbelievable and uncanny ability to read and play the game.
Maybe Chook might have been a better Captain if he had in fact not been the coach.