What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty Panthers V Parramatta

The_Frog

First Grade
Agree, should keep Cleary out as long as possible to recover. Even if Storm beat us round 20 it's not such a bad thing, lull them into a false sense of security just like we did to Roosters in 2003. Ambush them.

I'll just sit back and wait to get savaged now......🤪
If we;re safe in the top 2 by all means. But we probably don't want to play Storm in an elimination match before the GF so making the top 2 is pretty much critical.

Smug Panther

First Grade
If we;re safe in the top 2 by all means. But we probably don't want to play Storm in an elimination match before the GF so making the top 2 is pretty much critical.
An elimination game is fine, having to beat them twice in a finals series would be something else though

Pomoz

Bench
Seriously this is getting to Moylan levels already.

Staines did OK but f**k me last week Edwards was being called a coward for not challenging for a much harder ball that didn’t directly result in a try. This week that same error which leads directly to a try is just a ‘1 bad moment but’….

We look so much more assured with Edwards at the back. His kick returns, positioning and back up play are superior as is his defence - see Papalli line break.

Staines speed can certainly add something coming off the wing for set plays or just to get more involved (we all want him more involved) but he isn’t in the same hemisphere as Edwards as a fullback currently.
You can't airbrush Edwards missing a tackle for a try a few weeks ago to concede a try so spare me the discussion about the Papalii try. All fullbacks miss tackles, drop bombs and misjudge kicks, it's just how often it happens that makes the difference. Considering the opposition and the slippery conditions, he did well as debut performance.

Why do you feel the need to compare a one game fullback against a veteran fullback? To this observer's eye, Staines showed that he will bring some much needed ball playing to the backline once we have a halfback that is.

That said, at the moment he doesn't read the game as well at fullback, and isn't as physically strong as Edwards yet, which after one game, who'd a thought? Come on Martie, nobodies saying Staines is the second coming, but he fielded an endless stream of massive bombs in dewy conditions and was playing against one of the better physical defensive teams in the competition. As a first out run it was pretty good. Might have been even better if we had a proper halfback to set up backline plays.......

Right now, Edwards is better, but what about next year. Let's see how he can go with a decent offseason on the weights and a bit more experience.

franklin2323

Immortal
You can't airbrush Edwards missing a tackle for a try a few weeks ago to concede a try so spare me the discussion about the Papalii try. All fullbacks miss tackles, drop bombs and misjudge kicks, it's just how often it happens that makes the difference. Considering the opposition and the slippery conditions, he did well as debut performance.

Why do you feel the need to compare a one game fullback against a veteran fullback? To this observer's eye, Staines showed that he will bring some much needed ball playing to the backline once we have a halfback that is.

That said, at the moment he doesn't read the game as well at fullback, and isn't as physically strong as Edwards yet, which after one game, who'd a thought? Come on Martie, nobodies saying Staines is the second coming, but he fielded an endless stream of massive bombs in dewy conditions and was playing against one of the better physical defensive teams in the competition. As a first out run it was pretty good. Might have been even better if we had a proper halfback to set up backline plays.......

Right now, Edwards is better, but what about next year. Let's see how he can go with a decent offseason on the weights and a bit more experience.

About this time next year a decision will have to be made as to whether to keep Edwards. Very likely if he is moved on the replacement will come from with in..So how the next potential fullback looks is part of that.

For this season no doubt it is Edwards... when you are trying to keep a tight cap for 2023 balanced. Possibly not

Kilkenny

Coach
Sometimes players just lose sight/track of the ball and the best thing they can do is stand back and hope that a team mate can cover or that they can clean it up. Happens to all fullbacks/wingers occasionally. To say Edwards or Staines is crap because they missed a ball or two is garbage.
100% it happens and will continue to happen.

I thought with the Edwards one, it was rather obvious, or should have been, it was just the wind and the position he found himself in he realised wasn't able to make a play at the ball. Massive over reaction on here which was disappointing. I think with last nights Staines one, I’m only guessing, I assume he simply lost it in flight, lights it happens.

Fangs

Coach
I think with last nights Staines one, I’m only guessing, I assume he simply lost it in flight, lights it happens.

I love Charles but it looked pretty clear to me he was in two minds due to the Eels strong kick chase. He was indecisive which you can forgive in his first game at fullback.

chrisD

Coach
Staines f**ked up taking two kicks, the actual hard ones, and an attack down the right hand side with a shit pass that was dropped. Not good, hopefully he can turn that around.

The biggest problem I have with him is the same I have with Crichton, he's not beating defenders. That he hasn't had chances is just more fantasy shit, it's been the whole f**king year he hasn't beaten a player who wasn't a cover defender with little chance, and he's had chances over the whole of the year. The first defender they come to and the play is over.

And Crichton once again f**ked a two on one by not being able to execute the pass. Probably too far out to call it a bombed try but f**k he doesn't miss a chance.

Kilkenny

Coach
About this time next year a decision will have to be made as to whether to keep Edwards. Very likely if he is moved on the replacement will come from with in..So how the next potential fullback looks is part of that.

For this season no doubt it is Edwards... when you are trying to keep a tight cap for 2023 balanced. Possibly not
Dylan will be 26 next season, with 1 year remaining on his deal. He‘s had his share of frustrating injuries which have clearly hampered him and his career. I don't think we will re-sign him early and it is likely he will have to be very good in 2022 to earn a new deal.

franklin2323

Immortal
Dylan will be 26 next season, with 1 year remaining on his deal. He‘s had his share of frustrating injuries which have clearly hampered him and his career. I don't think we will re-sign him early and it is likely he will have to be very good in 2022 to earn a new deal.

You could easily wait until Round 10 or so to sign him. No issue with keeping him but what would he be on ($400k). You could replace him with some on minimum wage and use the $300k or so on re-signing Api and some others.

franklin2323

Immortal
Staines f**ked up taking two kicks, the actual hard ones, and an attack down the right hand side with a shit pass that was dropped. Not good, hopefully he can turn that around.

The biggest problem I have with him is the same I have with Crichton, he's not beating defenders. That he hasn't had chances is just more fantasy shit, it's been the whole f**king year he hasn't beaten a player who wasn't a cover defender with little chance, and he's had chances over the whole of the year. The first defender they come to and the play is over.

And Crichton once again f**ked a two on one by not being able to execute the pass. Probably too far out to call it a bombed try but f**k he doesn't miss a chance.

That miss was on Naden well not him but the lack of combination we get always moving Crichton every week.

Naden was standing flatter than Staines does. Staines there that is on his chest

chrisD

Coach
That miss was on Naden well not him but the lack of combination we get always moving Crichton every week.

Naden was standing flatter than Staines does. Staines there that is on his chest
No Naden was standing at a perfectly reasonable depth and Crichton just f**ked up the pass, again.

franklin2323

Immortal
No Naden was standing at a perfectly reasonable depth and Crichton just f**ked up the pass, again.

Maybe was a reasonable depth but compared to where Staines stands it was shallow.

It is what I mean about our attack being off.. combinations not having time to develop

martielang

Bench

Ya wanna f**king go me Pomoz?

Fair call on some of your points although I disagree on people not thinking he’s the second coming. You criticise the bloke and 14 of his dads come out defending him at every opportunity.

I think the whole point of my post was lost. The judging of players seems to be extremely inconsistent. The Edwards v Staines dropped ball example I got is as clear as day.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Ya wanna f**king go me Pomoz?

Fair call on some of your points although I disagree on people not thinking he’s the second coming. You criticise the bloke and 14 of his dads come out defending him at every opportunity.

I think the whole point of my post was lost. The judging of players seems to be extremely inconsistent. The Edwards v Staines dropped ball example I got is as clear as day.
A bomb should never bounce and I thought everyone agrees it's been poor from both?