What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty Panthers V Parramatta

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The difference was a field goal and a 50/50 kick at end of game missed. I probably wouldn't beat my chest on the performance. I enjoyed the test for the Eels. Had Guth not made those errors they probably win that game. They also showed when offload it trouble you guys and also ways not to attack. They won't try and go around them next time they meet. I felt Penrith played like they where meant to win. Parra played a little scared. They will take huge confidence from that. Very little between these two sides.

Cleary however would of made a large difference. Mahoney would of made a big one also.
Rnd 25 maybe a fizzer if neither side has nothing to play for. Let's hope we meet in finals.
I reckon Storm finish 1st. And Panthers 2nd or 3rd. Manly have a soft draw and will just about win out. I have them in 4th so chances are we may not play again in a game that matters.

Moving forward good luck come finals. Both sides have heaps of work to do to get within 20 of the Storm.

YAWN.

franklin2323

Immortal
It was said he was uncomfortable under every kick and his passes were bad. Not true he took most comfortably and had a fair few good runs when he hit his front and got a good play the ball. He wasn't perfect and letting that ball bounce was really bad. People where waiting for an excuse to talk him down.

2 errors. Then that missed ball.
2 tackles made. 3 missed

If that was Crichton that did those things.. opinion would be different.

For the record I put it down to lack of match fitness in the position. If lower grades weren't cancelled last year he would played plenty of FB

WestyLife

First Grade
2 errors. Then that missed ball.
2 tackles made. 3 missed

If that was Crichton that did those things.. opinion would be different.

For the record I put it down to lack of match fitness in the position. If lower grades weren't cancelled last year he would played plenty of FB

His first knock on when contesting with Gutho was a bad call from the ref. Speaking of which the two strips on Lenui where crap too.

Staines also saved that try.

franklin2323

Immortal
Happy with the two points, defence very good, our attack not surprisingly was far from good enough. Result could have gone either way, although I thought perhaps we just shaded it and deserved the two points.

In a hard fought contest, I thought both our wingers did a great job, tremendous work rate from both.

Scott Sorenson‘s best game for us, Api outstanding and the forwards all played there part.

I thought the Kikau held up over the line decision was interesting given how quick Ashley Klein was to blow his whistle. In recent weeks I have seen similar incidents where the attacking player has been given an eternity, eventually grounding the ball try awarded.

Good two points, so mission accomplished.

limited preparation and slippery surface would of been part of the clunky attack. Defence is good so gets us through those games

Black Diamond

Juniors
Honestly just don't want them rushing Edwards/Cleary back. The defence will keep us top 2 and will need to be full strength for finals.
Agree, should keep Cleary out as long as possible to recover. Even if Storm beat us round 20 it's not such a bad thing, lull them into a false sense of security just like we did to Roosters in 2003. Ambush them.

I'll just sit back and wait to get savaged now......🤪

WestyLife

First Grade
Agree, should keep Cleary out as long as possible to recover. Even if Storm beat us round 20 it's not such a bad thing, lull them into a false sense of security just like we did to Roosters in 2003. Ambush them.

Honestly if it wins the comp then great. These guys are too important to the season.

franklin2323

Immortal

Our attack is still a concern. The spine needs time together before finals on the flip side

Kilkenny

Coach
That is Ashley Klein for you. Very ordinary
Ashley, was just being Ashley last night.

I loved (NOT) the six again very late in the game, when we were attacking inside there 20. We trap the ball from the scrum, the Eels defenders all move up early, all well inside the 10 before the ball is picked up and passed. Set restart, can someone please explain to me what benefit there was to us from such a decision. It was a deliberate play from us in order to earn a penalty and potential shot a goal to win the game. It actually cost us a tackle, so in effect we were penalised. Deliberate infringements on the 1st should be a penalty.

soc123_au

Staff member
Naden went pretty well I thought. He was one of the few that looked a threat with the ball.

Defence was great. The 2 trys they scored had nothing to do with breaking down the defence. I dont know why Staines didnt attack the ball, he was happy to prior to that kick. Maybe the one he spilled dented his confidence, that one was great kick chase from Brown causing the error more than Staines bottling it. I still think Edwards is our best option for now.

To'o is a stud. Such a well rounded player, he is above average at everything, even under the high ball he defends pretty well for his size.

soc123_au

Staff member

I loved (NOT) the six again very late in the game, when we were attacking inside there 20. We trap the ball from the scrum, the Eels defenders all move up early, all well inside the 10 before the ball is picked up and passed. Set restart, can someone please explain to me what benefit there was to us from such a decision. It was a deliberate play from us in order to earn a penalty and potential shot a goal to win the game. It actually cost us a tackle, so in effect we were penalised. Deliberate infringements on the 1st should be a penalty.
Yeah. They need to tweak the rule for those plays. There was another one, I think it was Matterson got called out on Api but made the tackle anyway as Api took off. That should be a penalty, not 6 again.

The other ones that annoy me are the first tackle restarts inside the 20 off a kick return. We are guilty of giving those away, but it's a professional foul imo. Not bin worthy, but worth a kick for touch.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah. They need to tweak the rule for those plays. There was another one, I think it was Matterson got called out on Api but made the tackle anyway as Api took off. That should be a penalty, not 6 again.

The other ones that annoy me are the first tackle restarts inside the 20 off a kick return. We are guilty of giving those away, but it's a professional foul imo. Not bin worthy, but worth a kick for touch.

Penalties when attacking the line benefit the defence 9/10. So 6 again is good for that.

Maybe a tweek so inside your own half is a penalty

franklin2323

Immortal

You know now what refs the play will flow for and those that don't. You see Klein and know it is a grind

mxlegend99

Referee

I saw in the Dragons/Warriors game a 1st tackle set restart blown, then the next tackle they're tackled behind where the set restart is given so in that one extra tackle they received they actually lost ground. From the first infringement the defensive team gained a huge advantage and was able to dominate the set from it.

Needs to be a penalty if the restart occurs in your own half IMO. Or maybe adjust the rule so players can choose to have a differential penalty instead. When the referee calls 6 again the captain says we'll take the penalty and kick for touch. The only way you can get that now is by losing the ball in the tackle... which I am surprised that no teams have tried to do. Referee has no choice but to give you a penalty if he has already deemed the tackle was worth 6 again and you lose it in that tackle.

BxTom

Bench
Martielang pretty much summed the Edwards - Staines conversations on here perfectly.

Fullbacks/wingers not attempting to take the ball on the full is not a recent phenomenon, happens on a regular basis and there is often valid reasons for it.

In Dylan’s case, the weather was the main factor and last night I’m not sure what caused Charlie to do what he did but I’m sure it had nothing to do with any lack of heart or determination. It happens, just as occasionally players drop the ball, miss tackles, throw forward passes etc etc
Sometimes players just lose sight/track of the ball and the best thing they can do is stand back and hope that a team mate can cover or that they can clean it up. Happens to all fullbacks/wingers occasionally. To say Edwards or Staines is crap because they missed a ball or two is garbage.

GongPanther

Referee
I thought May made a decent effort and was generally solid especially in defence but Nathan Cleary he aint. With Edwards and Momirovski expected back next game, hopefully he returns to the 14. That is his role in this team. Kenny was OK, but didn't get many minutes.
Kenny was a bit feisty in a couple of his runs, as was Sorenson who made good yardage with every carry.