What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minichello vs Slater for test

With no rep games before 22nd of April..and watching and pissing myself laughting at Minichellos defence and attack last night vs brisbane..The test spot has to go to Billy Slater who has been in rare form..If Minichello can make one try saving tackle..its more luck than anything.. :lol:
Its got to be Slater for the test jumper

innsaneink

Referee
Glad the selectors dont write players off after one less than stellar performance after coming back from injury.

Red Bear

Referee
Holla if ya hear me said:
With no rep games before 22nd of April..and watching and pissing myself laughting at Minichellos defence and attack last night vs brisbane..The test spot has to go to Billy Slater who has been in rare form..If Minichello can make one try saving tackle..its more luck than anything.. :lol:
Its got to be Slater for the test jumper
Of course Slaters defence would be so much better :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

LESStar58

Referee
Billy has certainly smartened up in defense...think it was only when he was playing on the wing that his defense was heavily criticised. Look at the fials last year when he pinned Darren Lockyer on the last tackle in 2 consecutive sets! Minichello and Slater both have niggling injuries but....besides, we all know the selectors will go with the incumbent so there is little or no Melbounre representation. :evil:

I'll wait till I see how melbourne and canberra go before I say who should be fullback, but there are three at the moment and not one of them is a new south welshman

LESStar58 said:
Slater, Schif, Bowen?

Yep, while bowen and slater are easily the best attacking fullbacks in the comp last week (even though the knights were shite) he still showed why he is one of the best allround fullbacks in the comp, he may not be able to match it pace wise with bowen and slater, but he makes up for that with his defence at the back.

My tip: Slater to wear no.1 with bowen on the bench.

JBW1983

Juniors
You guys have got to be joking about mini being a rotten defender... there is no way you can expect Mini to defend 1 ball carrier with support on either side as was the case many a time against brisbane. The reason he held off most times when the broncos had made a break is because he was waiting for the cover defence to catch up to the supporting broncos but they never came. You can't blame the fullback for the mistakes of the defensive line (if you can call it a line!)

Mini was safe as a house under 3 HUGE torpedo bombs from lockyer and seymour, was hard as ever to put on the deck on the kick returns, topping 150m again, and was rarely out of position.

On top of that he was playing injured against the best player/playmaker (lockyer) in the comp who had plenty of time and space to do as he pleased... he'll make anyone look ordinary in those circumstances.

I'll give you that slater is in super form and will deservedly grab a spot on the wing, especially with orford the likely halfback. But the day schifcofske makes the team (barring mass injuries) is the day matt elliot becomes Australian coach! :lol:

As for bowen, he'll either grab another wing spot (doubtful) or will miss out since berrigan is likely to be the utility named by Bennett on the bench, with wing promoted to starting hooker in buderus' absence.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Holla, you're a first class idiot. Minichiello was voted the Player of the Kangaroo Tour and named Players' Player in the final, and yet after one solid - not bad! - game against Brisbane you want him replaced?! :iwstupid:

Besides, Slater wont be the lead candidate. Mark Hughes is clearly ahead of him.

JBW1983

Juniors
My team in case you're interested:

1. Minichiello
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Tonga (not on form but simply because he has played with these guys before in origin and kanagroo tour and good combo with ryan)
5. Rooney
6. Lockyer (c)
7. Orford
8. Webcke
9. Wing
10. Price
11. Hindmarsh
12. Ryan
13. Fitzgibbon

14. Berrigan
15. Civoneceva
16. Bailey
17. Carl Webb (is a bit of a smokey but Bennett would be keen to see how he handled it with qld in mind and v. good impact to make up for Mason) - if not Webb he might opt for a Waterhouse or BK.

Johns Magic

Referee
JBW1983 said:
My team in case you're interested:

1. Minichiello
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Tonga (not on form but simply because he has played with these guys before in origin and kanagroo tour and good combo with ryan)
5. Rooney
6. Lockyer (c)
7. Orford
8. Webcke
9. Wing
10. Price
11. Hindmarsh
12. Ryan
13. Fitzgibbon

14. Berrigan
15. Civoneceva
16. Bailey
17. Carl Webb (is a bit of a smokey but Bennett would be keen to see how he handled it with qld in mind and v. good impact to make up for Mason) - if not Webb he might opt for a Waterhouse or BK.

I wouldn't sway too much from that either.

RABK

Referee
Minicheillo is a proven rep player. He is just back from injury, give the guy a break. Saying that Slater is a much better attacking player then Mini is just horse shit. No one in the comp has the line breaking ability Mini has. The way he busts through tackles and bounces of anyone who try's to smash him. He averages 200m+ a game. Slater is faster but not by much. Although im not a fan of incumbent players keeping in form players out of test sides, i think Mini if fit should be one of the first 5 players picked. Slater to the wing for mine.

Tommy Smith

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Minicheillo is a proven rep player.

Yes, and unfortuately he will get the job :evil: That said I would give it to Matt Bowenif I were the selectors!
Oh an he's also a proven club player...being DallyM FB of the year and all.

Any more valid arguments as to why Mini should be replaced??? Apart from that whilst injured he has been overshadowed by someone for all of, 3 rounds! Infact 2 and a half :eek:

Red Bear

Referee
You would make the oz side the qld side if you were a selector locky.
Mini should definately be there.
A couple of tries on friday, do you know how dificult it is defending when you have a guy in support on te other side ready for an easy pass? Hard enough on the wing let along fullback. Go for ball carrier they just pass it, go for other guy you look like a goose.

JBW1983

Juniors
It's simple math... Bowen offers ever so slightly more in attack while Mini offers you the complete fullback package with a classy all round game.