What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Premiership - Wide Open!

bottle

Coach
We could be as high as 3rd after tomorrow with a very easy run home and only 1 regular first 17 player out injured. Only a Souths hater like you would think we have no real shot.

Right now if I was doing the odds I'd put us on the 3rd shortest odds behind Melbourne and Canterbury.

Here's how I have the top 4 after round 26:

Canterbury
Souths
Melbourne
Brisbane

See, this is the stuff we love to read. This is the stuff that fuels 5 threads worth of Lols (or is it 6, I've lost count). This the stuff that has decent Rabbitohs fans face palming and cringing with embarressment.

Big Sam

First Grade
Of our 8 remaining opponents, we've already beaten 5 of them and tomorrow's opponent fluked a win. Haven't played Manly and GC yet. Write us off at your peril.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Souths finishing ahead of Melbourne?

f**king LOL.

Pig Mouth

Juniors
285766_466570986704152_1849595932_n.jpg

BranVan3000

Coach
Souths finishing ahead of Melbourne?

f**king LOL.

I don't think it'll happen, Melbourne should have a month of wins before their next difficult opponent so they will turn their bad run starting next week. But if Souths win tomorrow night, the difference will only be two points. Anything could happen. Especially if Melb drop games against the Dogs and Brisbane.

isaiah

Bench
Of our 8 remaining opponents, we've already beaten 5 of them and tomorrow's opponent fluked a win. Haven't played Manly and GC yet. Write us off at your peril.

souffs have a very good coach this year

the game plan he instilled in them for the game v the dogs early in the year was outstanding, right down to tyrrell in defence just singling out eastwood every time he got the ball.

NAS

Juniors
The question over the minor premiership at the moment comes down to simply one player- Billy Slater.

If he comes back and Melbourne re-discover their groove, then Melbourne should coast through to the minor premiership.

the question ofcourse is whether Melbourne are this year's St George.

Of the other teams, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Manly and yes, Souths are the potential candidates.

The dogs are second atm, have been uninterupted through origin, and are playing reasonable footy (although, the point must be made that they scraped through against a Farahless tigers a couple of weeks ago)...they do however have a fairly tough draw including Brisbane and Manly. But their future is in their hands really.

Key player- Michael Ennis really is the mastermind behind the dogs. Barba is talented, but Ennis is the bloke I don't think they can survive without.

Brisbane I think are most unlikely, given the fact that they've had such a tough origin period....There are niggling injuries to key players (Thaiday, Hodges, Reed) and some of the younger blokes (Norman) are starting to display signs of fatigue. That's not to say they won't be there on grand final day, I just think they may have a few slips between now and the finals....Play the Bulldogs, Melbourne and Manly over a three week period...

Key player- I think that Josh Hoffman has been awfully good for the broncos this year. But you can't go past Peter Wallace.

Manly- They done very well to be where they are this year, given their injuries and suspension. That said, the show as they say cannot continue. Moreover, they've got the hardest run home of any of the contenders, playing not only Souths, Brisbane and the Dogs, but also very hard games against the Warriors and Cowboys as well.

Key player- I think saturday showed that without Glenn and Brett Stewart, the Sea Eagles struggle.

Souths- Souths have a dream run going into the final rounds of the comp. Titans, Eels, Knights, roosters....Only play Manly and Sharks currently in the 8, and only the Tigers really present any other (foreseeable) threat. Moreover, they've got their players all back at just the right time, and a fairly light origin commitment. The question for souths is whether or not they've left the run too late, and given Melbourne and the dogs too much start.....One would expect them to drop one game between now and the finals. Some might suggest it'll be Manly, but I think Cronulla at Shark Park is probably the more likely..

Key player- Greg Inglis and Issac Luke are the obvious names, however when one considers that they have Merritt and Peats as replacements, it's not so obvious. Therefore the key player is their rookie half, and goal kicker, Adam Reynolds.

Cronulla is the only other outside chance, however the draw against the roosters, and loss yesterday, together with games against Melbourne, souths, Warriors and the cowboys say it's unrealistic. You'd want Gallen and Smith back asap.

Key player. they've won games without Gallen this year, including one against Melbourne. They've won during the origin period without Carney, and Graham I think has improved ten fold as a player. I think that two players have held this team together this year. Jeremy Smith and Ben Ross. Losing Smith has seen them suffer a draw to the roosters, and a loss to the Dragons. Ross has been the quiet achiever for cronulla this year in that Peter Cusack style.......

BranVan3000

Coach
I thought we had a dream run too, but we face a lot of opponents who will pretty much be playing for their season . Not sure if its better or worse.

BunniesMan

Immortal
There's a reason they're playing for their season week in and week out at this stage, we've been in that position in recent years. It's because they're just not that good.

If we play our best we won't lose more than another 1 or 2 games.

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
There's a reason they're playing for their season week in and week out at this stage, we've been in that position in recent years. It's because they're just not that good.

If we play our best we won't lost more than another 1 or 2 games.

I agree if our attitude continues to reflect the new Maguire regime, it should be no sweat. We'll roll over the top of them as we did to the Knights. So hopefully we don't see the Souths of yesteryear creep back in

beave

Coach
And if I was better looking, had a bigger dick and earnt more money, i could be rooting a supermodel.

You gotta love hypotheticals eh??...........

yobbo84

Coach
Melbourne play the Eels, Dragons, Panthers, Titans, Broncos, Sharks and Tigers. They'll win all but one and finish first.

Personally I'm hoping to see Souths v Dogs (2 v 3 - whatever order), Finals Week 1, ANZ Stadium. Would be a great crowd. A lot can happen in eight weeks though.

BunniesMan

Immortal
1st would be nice, but I'd settle for second. Ideally Canterbury would be 3rd, us hosting them at ANZ (or them hosting us) would create a record 1st week finals crowd.

And if we were to meet in the preliminary in the 3rd week, I reckon it would be a full house.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I thought souths fans would have learnt after 2007 when we had to put up with them saying they were premiership favorites all off season. Now they are going to come 1st or 2nd

Good luck with that guys