What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misi Taulapapa - the biggest grub of them all

Kiki

First Grade
i just saw it for the first time on the news and it wasnt as bad as some of u are making out.

Satsok

Juniors
dog act, give him however long tongue is out for, plus another week or two.. that seems fair

just heard misi on sports today (co hosted by the great garden accessory)

said that he was sorry for causing injury and wasnt intentional. trying not to push the tackle back but to get in between the tacklers and alan tounge..kind of like a union clean out.
buggered it up basically.
lucky boy that he didn't get suspended.

no name

Referee
just heard misi on sports today (co hosted by the great garden accessory)

said that he was sorry for causing injury and wasnt intentional. trying not to push the tackle back but to get in between the tacklers and alan tounge..kind of like a union clean out.
buggered it up basically.
lucky boy that he didn't get suspended.

I think the fact that he wraps his arms around Toungue whilst still driving and then pushes him afterwards dismisses this claim.

northwest9

Juniors
Tongue the Prowler got what he's been dishing out for years as the game's premier third man in.

:lol::lol:

watch the raiders fans flame you for that.

skeepe has probably blown a fuse and shot himself having so much as read that.

we can only hope....:lol:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
ahaha every dickhead has been trying to bait the raiders supporters by having a go at Tongue. So far none of them have been stupid enough to take it.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
ahaha every dickhead has been trying to bait the raiders supporters by having a go at Tongue. So far none of them have been stupid enough to take it.

Well, that'd be because it's true.

A. Tongue - 100 tackles. 90 as 3rd or 4th man in.

Canard

Immortal
Anyone got any links to video footage of the incident?

I hate Aussie Rules terms coming into our game, Off the ball is one of the gayest. It implies that someone was smashed without the ball, in backplay for example, which from my understanding is not the case in this instance. Its more "not in possesion of the ball, but involved in the play(tackle)"

Last edited:

gong_eagle

First Grade

Tongue tackle 'piss poor'

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23954877-5006066,00.html
By Josh Massoud | July 02, 2008
0,,6123031,00.jpg

"Piss poor" ... Misi Taulapapa's controversial challenge
on Alan Tongue.
Photograph: courtesy Foxsport / The Daily Telegraph

SHARKS winger Misi Taulapapa has apologised for his controversial challenge on Alan Tongue, which furious Canberra officials branded "piss poor".

Raiders general manager Don Furner was livid after the NRL match review committee yesterday cleared Taulapapa for blindsiding Tongue off-the-ball in a hit that could force Tongue out for a month with rib cartilage damage.

Taulapapa struck Tongue as the Raiders skipper was tackling Cronulla teammate David Simmons in the 45th minute of Monday night's clash.

Tongue reeled away in agony, and was replaced moments later. Scans yesterday confirmed cracked left rib cartilage, an injury that usually requires a month to heal.

Canberra coach Neil Henry dubbed the hit a "reverse prowler'' in reference to Riley Brown's infamous third-man tackle on Craig Wing in Round one.
Related Links

* Full details: NRL teams for Round 17

But Furner last night went a step further, labelling Taulapapa's challenge a "cheap shot'' and expressing "disbelief'' he was not charged.

"What happened to Craig Wing was an ugly look for our game,'' Furner said. "But at least Wing was in possession of the football. Tongue was making a tackle for God's sake. It was a piss poor effort (from Taulapapa).

"But what happens? He gets off with only a penalty and we've got our captain out for four weeks.''

Tongue's reaction was measured, but he could not hide his disappointment over the match review committee's lack of action. "I can understand what Misi was trying to do, and I'm not hugely bitter,'' Tongue said.

"But I've watched the replay and it's something that should not happen. My back is exposed and he's come in and taken me clean out. He did something the wrong way and I'm the one suffering.

"You'd like to think if it was Brett Kimmorley who got injured, they'd come up with the same decision.''

Despite the prognosis, Tongue was named to face Melbourne and vowed to do "everything in my power to play.''

"I'm already booked in to see the physio, the osteo, acupuncture ... you name it,'' the tough lock said.

Match Review Committee chairman Greg McCallum personally informed Furner of his panel's decision yesterday morning. McCallum later told The Daily Telegraph the NRL's edict over prowler tackles did not apply in this instance because Taulapapa did not effect a shoulder charge.

"It could be argued that Misi thought Tongue had gotten the ball, and that's why he came in and made a conventional-style tackle,'' McCallum added.

Taulapapa was tight-lipped last night, but said he tried to apologise to Tongue immediately afterwards. "I can't say too much, but I'm really sorry he's been injured because Alan Tongue is such a great player,'' Taulapapa said.

"It happened so quickly.The Canberra management and fans were giving it to me and I tried to apolgise when he went off.''

I think the fact that he wraps his arms around Toungue whilst still driving and then pushes him afterwards dismisses this claim.

thats your word against his.

he also said that he had his head down and wasnt really looking.

it was poorly executed. probably deserved a week. didnt get a week. end of story

Latest posts