What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miss Tackle of 2010

Canard

Immortal
You obviously know f**k all about tackling. Slater the arrogant big headed merkin let his ego get the better of him and tried taking him high up, legs/hip tackle would have brought him down.

Thats a stunning diatribe.

Ego?? I wish I could have used that as a reason I got steamrolled by someone running at me like a runaway train.

"Well I could have tackled him, but me damn ego got in the way!!"

God-King Dean

Immortal
Chris Sandow in round 26.

If memory serves, he made 16 tackles, & 17 mistackles. 3 of those mistackles were on Boyd in the one play.

Didgi

He was standing flat footed. Going low wouldve seen the same result, except probably messier for Slater.

What an armchair hero you are :lol:.

You one of those blokes who tries to tell players what to do from the grandstand with a stubby of VB in your hand?

Don't think there would be too many blokes who would stop Tony Williams 1 on 1 in that situation. He breaks more tackles than most players when he chooses to get involved in the game.

*cough* I think got him mixed up with me(and tonnes of other people on this forum).

RWB

Bench
He was standing flat footed. Going low wouldve seen the same result, except probably messier for Slater.

Since when is flat footed a bad thing going into a tackle, so long as you're set? FMD there's some awesome excuses on here for a poor decision.

Didgi

Flat footed is fine in a defensive line - but when you have to cover someone 25kg heavier than you with the possibility of stepping inside or outside, or running right over you, flat footed is bad. He was never set. Did you watch the video? If Williams held his line down the sideline, Slater would've come across and it would've been easier. But Williams cut back, Slater had to stop, and as he tried to set himself he was hit b a train. Listen to the commentary "As slater was coming across he wasnt sure who was going to get the football"

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
To be fair to Slater if you gave him a handbag with a brick hidden in it, Williams still probably would have run over the top of him.

Apey

Staff member
Looks like Billy hesitated to me when T-rex got to him (stepped back a step) which was always going to end badly for him. As if tackling him lower wouldn't have helped..

kbw

Bench
Sandow has to win this. He is so bad he is setting missed tackle records.He does look angry though when he misses all those tackles and thats enough for Ch9 commentators and Souffs fans to think he is good.

Historically there have been some shockers. Ones that stick in my mind are Terry Hill, he used to get so far out of position in defense his opposite could walk past him and Hill would then abuse his team mates for not sliding across.
cutie was also a shocker, I remember seeing him actually slow once and another time change direction to avoid having to make a tackle.

I can understand why people don't like Slater but when I was told once about what he brings to not only his own game but his teams mates as well in terms of preparation and planning and coaching I will always have a lot of respect for him.

One more point, Luke Phillips was one of the best tremendous defensive fullbacks I have ever seen

Dutchy

Immortal
What an armchair hero you are :lol:.

You one of those blokes who tries to tell players what to do from the grandstand with a stubby of VB in your hand?

Don't think there would be too many blokes who would stop Tony Williams 1 on 1 in that situation. He breaks more tackles than most players when he chooses to get involved in the game.

Nope, I'm one of those 80kg halves, who are not that great in defence, but still know the proper technique behind a 1 on 1 tackle with a bigger bloke.

Didgi, stop using weight as an argument, it means nothing if Slater chooses the correct option.

Dutchy

Immortal
Thats a stunning diatribe.

Ego?? I wish I could have used that as a reason I got steamrolled by someone running at me like a runaway train.

"Well I could have tackled him, but me damn ego got in the way!!"

Yes ego, if he wasn't such a big headed idiot, he wouldn't have got the machos and tried taking Williams on high.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't think it was really ego, by the time he got to Williams he'd obviously put himself in the wrong position and he basically braced himself for the impact. You'd expect better from your number one.

Butters

Bench
It's almost as if Slater didn't feel like getting stomped on and risk injury for a game that effectively amounts to nothing in a nothing season.