What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Brown

samshark

Juniors
How good was Mitch brown the other night?
How many tries dud he prevent from being scored?

Farkn cronulla junior too.

Dumbfarks.

Unfair. He did not perform well for the last two years with us. And he is only in their team now due to injuries to Moltzen, McKinnon, Tuarkie etc
Is a solid player, thats all.

Unfair. He did not perform well for the last two years with us. And he is only in their team now due to injuries to Moltzen, McKinnon, Tuarkie etc

Most Tigers fans want him starting fullback next year. He's done very well for us this year, but then again we're different to Cronulla, we have guys like Marshall and Farah who carve up other teams, we don't need a fullback who can do it too, he does what we need him to do.

R2Coupe

Juniors

Brown has taken the chances he has been given by Sheens. As he becomes more comfortable with his teammates his attacking game will develop.

Did Ayshford and Brown play in the same Endeavour High team?

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Hes done well at the Tigers no doubt, but I still dont think the Sharks will miss him that much. He did nothing wrong, made some hitups, defended well, positioned well, had to make up for Beau Ryans inadequacy and hospital balls.

But, The way the Tigers play, they have Farah and Marshall spreading it wide every 3 tackles... If the Tigers had some better attacking backs with a bit more pace, other than guys likeRyan, Ayshford and to a lesser extent Brown they would of gone a bit better. They look great everytime they spin it, but when it gets to that side with Ayshford and co it never goes anywhere.

jc155776

Coach
TBH I am more pissed we let Galloway go.

I did hear it was a massive dollars though. His end to this season was huge. Finally must have figured out that he is a f**king big unit.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I like the thought of Local juniors at the club. But are they really worth the effort? The chances of finding another ET are remote & every kid will suffer because of ET's legend & being compared to him.
The other thing is that it is hard enough tippy toeing around spoilt brat players & managers these days as it is, without having to deal with parents of said players as well.
I say go country.

Inferno

Coach
TBH I am more pissed we let Galloway go.

I did hear it was a massive dollars though. His end to this season was huge. Finally must have figured out that he is a f**king big unit.

It was, From memory it was 615k over three years. That was way overs for him at the time, but I suppose they are getting some value out of the big ranga at the moment.

Special K

Coach
Yeah he got a massive deal to leave and the talk of him leaving started at 17(Dragons was the big talk). Never seemed like he wanted to be here.. When push came to shove we couldn't afford to keep him and R.Williams and decided to go the cheaper option and keep Reece and that was looking like a good deal until Reece hit those injuries and Galloway stepped up.

I'm happy with Snowden and Dougie.

R2Coupe

Juniors
I like the thought of Local juniors at the club. But are they really worth the effort? The chances of finding another ET are remote & every kid will suffer because of ET's legend & being compared to him.
The other thing is that it is hard enough tippy toeing around spoilt brat players & managers these days as it is, without having to deal with parents of said players as well.
I say go country.

It's a lot cheaper for a club to produce juniors than to go and buy them. For a club like the Sharks with good junior numbers, it is the obvious way to become a top eight side. Juniors will usually stay for less as well.

R2Coupe

Juniors
For the Tigers, Farah, Gibbs, Fulton, Lawrence and Dwyer have all come through the Tigers Cubs system. There are probably others.

To buy players of that calibre on the market would be prohibitive. Established player usually only leave their existing clubs for overs and purchases of Ellis and Tuqiri reflect the Club's lateral thinking in terms of recruiting established stars.

A very high percentage of the Tigers NYC are juniors from Wests or Balmain.

Sheens recognised the Tigers could not compete with the bigger clubs and even if it could. this would negate the Club's strength ie juniors. Look at the number of juniors in the junior rep teams over the last three years to see the succes of Wests, Balmain and Weststigers.

I though Stuart was supposedly to do the same?

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
like i said, no basis to those comments.
A kid from the country costs no more or less, than a local product. In fact, most "local juniors" are probably from the country anyway.

The Dodger

First Grade
the difference ebetween the tigers and the sharks is that they have players that do their job properly.

The sharks have players there just for the free cash ride and leisure time at northies every weekend.

samshark

Juniors
the difference ebetween the tigers and the sharks is that they have players that do their job properly.

The sharks have players there just for the free cash ride and leisure time at northies every weekend.

Bit over the top there Dodger.
Ill tell what the main difference between the Tigers and Sharks players. Skill level. And the reason for that? Compare the two clubs coaching staff and performance set ups. Actually there is no comparison. We just dont compete at all. Reason. No cash.

R2Coupe

Juniors
like i said, no basis to those comments.
A kid from the country costs no more or less, than a local product. In fact, most "local juniors" are probably from the country anyway.

Which of those players named are not WTs juniors? Which ones are from the country?

As for your comments about buying from the country, most are under the eye of more than one club, hence cost.

With regard to the Sharks, didn't the club get rid of its recruitment officer hence the reliance on poaching juniors from the Eels due to your NYC coach?

Surely a junior development system within the Shire is better.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Which of those players named are not WTs juniors? Which ones are from the country?
No idea, don't really care.
As for your comments about buying from the country, most are under the eye of more than one club, hence cost.
All juniors are contracted to somebody from about the age of 13. Country or local. It makes no difference where they come from.
With regard to the Sharks, didn't the club get rid of its recruitment officer hence the reliance on poaching juniors from the Eels due to your NYC coach?
We never had a recruitment officer. We employed Parra people & they brought the players.
Surely a junior development system within the Shire is better.
WE have that now thanks to Ricky Stuart & his team.

The sharks did have a recruitment officer - it was Craig Wilson - he was getting together a good group of kids as well. But as always, money became a problem and Craig was shown the door.
They'll never develop locals as it costs money at either the junior league level or the NRL level. unfortunately, there's not much of that at the Sharks in either area.
The Dragons will continue to pick up the best kids from the Shire - who would you rather be coached by, Bennett or Flanagan?

And on the original topic here - Mitch only ever needed confidence from Ricky, but thats not the Ricky way. One mistake and it was back to some over the hill slow coach who kicked goals - please, you had to score tries before worrying about having a goal kicker in your team.

samshark

Juniors
The sharks did have a recruitment officer - it was Craig Wilson - he was getting together a good group of kids as well. But as always, money became a problem and Craig was shown the door.
They'll never develop locals as it costs money at either the junior league level or the NRL level. unfortunately, there's not much of that at the Sharks in either area.
The Dragons will continue to pick up the best kids from the Shire - who would you rather be coached by, Bennett or Flanagan?

And on the original topic here - Mitch only ever needed confidence from Ricky, but thats not the Ricky way. One mistake and it was back to some over the hill slow coach who kicked goals - please, you had to score tries before worrying about having a goal kicker in your team.

You know sh*t and are talking out of your arse here.
Ricky Stuart rebuilt our junior system and created development squads and pathways and these programs are starting to bear fruit, with our SG Ball results this year and some of the players coming through. This was always going to take time after neglect through the Anderson/Raper years.

The is all managed by funnily enough, Craig's brother Alan. And yes money is a problem but Craig wasnt shafted. He and Theo Burgess werent exactly getting good results and kids, which is why Stuart rebuilt the thing.

Brown hasnt done much more than what he did at the sharks. He is solid at best and is only in the top team because of injuries.

The Shire

Juniors
You know sh*t and are talking out of your arse here.
Ricky Stuart rebuilt our junior system and created development squads and pathways and these programs are starting to bear fruit, with our SG Ball results this year and some of the players coming through. This was always going to take time after neglect through the Anderson/Raper years.

The is all managed by funnily enough, Craig's brother Alan. And yes money is a problem but Craig wasnt shafted. He and Theo Burgess werent exactly getting good results and kids, which is why Stuart rebuilt the thing.

Brown hasnt done much more than what he did at the sharks. He is solid at best and is only in the top team because of injuries.

exactly i couldnt care less about brown he is an average player at best. if we kept brown what would have happened to gardner? i know who id rather have