What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

Old Timer

Coach
I don't dislike Mitch Rein. If it wasn't for his terrible passing out of dummy half he would be possibly in the top 5 or 7 hookers in the competition IMO. Having said that, trying to pass the blame off onto Benji and JDB is just as moronic as your CS/AS suggestion. And that is extremely moronic. Very original but extremely moronic.

The main difference between Benji's kick and Reins was that one trickled over the dead ball line with Dragons players sweating all over it and it led to a try, albeit mainly thanks to Nightingale. Rein's kick flew over the dead ball line without any Dragons players being within 10 meters of it.

But that's ok in my opinion. This kind of thing happens to much better kickers than Rein. The JDB fiasco isn't ok. If it were jut once it would be ok or if it were only a few times a season it would be ok but this kind of thing happens on a regular basis with Rein.

And given that you have a copy of the CS game ready to go, watch it again and tell me in your opinion how JDB played. If I were giving out 3, 2, 1, I would go 3. Aitken, and 2 and 1 being a toss-up between JDB and Packer.

Vas
Gotta love the way you twist threads and posts.

Let me address some of you responses or points.

The kick from was not a set play and was crap. If not for Flo's athleticism and the bad read by Souths a 20m restart. You sort of acknowledge Flo but leave the door open to have a try assist fro Benji.

You highlighted the particular pass from Rein which De Belin knocked on I referred you to the exact moment in the game when it occurred.

I invite anyone with any reasonable knowledge of football to have a look and make an informed comment. It was actually a good pass going to Packer who had obviously called for the ball and De Belin like a headless chook intervened in the play.

There was nothing wrong with the pass so don't blame Rein for that. If there are other passes that require him to be blamed for by all means but don't guild the lily.

I suspect that you might actually agree that de Belin might have had some "hand" in the fiasco so you then ask the question of how he played etc that is irrelevant to the subject matter.

I stated previously that our forwards look leaderless at times and that compounds many problems and I stick by that and now that Widdop is captain hopefully we will have competent game plans executed quickly with everyone knowing what we are doing.

Benji had a real chance to stamp his authority in the CS and he didn't take the chance and I believe my criticism of him for that is justified.

V

Vasilevsky

Vas
Gotta love the way you twist threads and posts.

Let me address some of you responses or points.

The kick from was not a set play and was crap. If not for Flo's athleticism and the bad read by Souths a 20m restart. You sort of acknowledge Flo but leave the door open to have a try assist fro Benji.

You highlighted the particular pass from Rein which De Belin knocked on I referred you to the exact moment in the game when it occurred.

I invite anyone with any reasonable knowledge of football to have a look and make an informed comment. It was actually a good pass going to Packer who had obviously called for the ball and De Belin like a headless chook intervened in the play.

There was nothing wrong with the pass so don't blame Rein for that. If there are other passes that require him to be blamed for by all means but don't guild the lily.

I suspect that you might actually agree that de Belin might have had some "hand" in the fiasco so you then ask the question of how he played etc that is irrelevant to the subject matter.

I stated previously that our forwards look leaderless at times and that compounds many problems and I stick by that and now that Widdop is captain hopefully we will have competent game plans executed quickly with everyone knowing what we are doing.

Benji had a real chance to stamp his authority in the CS and he didn't take the chance and I believe my criticism of him for that is justified.

Was crap but still led to a try.... Yet another brilliant but original idea. And Benji played well while he was on. Didn't do anything special but was solid in leading the team around. A very good performance for a trail game after being first game back from a bad injury.

BrissyRedV and I agreed we are going to cease fire on the halves until after 5 or 6 rounds into next season. We agreed that the stronger forward pack will in theory give the halves more time and keep the enemy defence on the back foot more often. As a result, both Benji and Widdop must take the ball to the line and cause trouble for enemy defences with their passing, running or preferably both. This will clearly be shown in the number of line breaks, line break assists and try assists. My money will be on Benji to dominate even if he is on the opposite side to Dugan.

Your constant raving clearly shows you are very worried about this outcome.

Fewer 'big plays gone wrong' from Benji and to simply 'be composed' won't be enough for Widdop.

Insofar as JDB, Packer and that pass, just more 'brilliant' analysis from you. It was in front of JDB but going well behind Packer. If you opinion is different, fine. Now I'm asking you how you think JDB played in the CS of 2016. Is that too difficult to answer? For mine he was one of the Dragons best. Clearly behind Aitken but right up there for second best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turk

Juniors
Aitken going to have a killer season be it at centre or wing we need to rap him up long term. Clubs will be circling like vultures for his signature.

Old Timer

Coach
Was crap but still led to a try.... Yet another brilliant but original idea. And Benji played well while he was on. Didn't do anything special but was solid in leading the team around. A very good performance for a trail game after being first game back from a bad injury.

BrissyRedV and I agreed we are going to cease fire on the halves until after 5 or 6 rounds into next season. We agreed that the stronger forward pack will in theory give the halves more time and keep the enemy defence on the back foot more often. As a result, both Benji and Widdop must take the ball to the line and cause trouble for enemy defences with their passing, running or preferably both. This will clearly be shown in the number of line breaks, line break assists and try assists. My money will be on Benji to dominate even if he is on the opposite side to Dugan.

Your constant raving clearly shows you are very worried about this outcome.

Fewer 'big plays gone wrong' from Benji and to simply 'be composed' won't be enough for Widdop.

Insofar as JDB, Packer and that pass, just more 'brilliant' analysis from you. It was in front of JDB but going well behind Packer. If you opinion is different, fine. Now I'm asking you how you think JDB played in the CS of 2016. Is that too difficult to answer? For mine he was one of the Dragons best. Clearly behind Aitken but right up there for second best.

Glad to see you are employing the "learning by rote" methodology by which if you repeat something often enough and without even understanding it you can remember it as being correct.

Your point re Benji "leading the team around" is ridiculous nobody led the team around and consequently they were beaten by a second string outfit.

If you and others continually talk up the Souths effort in an attempt to get a pass mark for our lot you are delusional. We should have put 30 on them and we didn't simple as that.

You and Brissy Red V (aka Superman and Clark Kent) can do whatever you like however I would like to remind you I had posted something similar to what you are discussing there 3 or 4 months ago so glad to see you coming to a similar conclusion please keep up with the learning skills.

You obviously were no good at geometry at school so need to re visit the Rein De Belin Packer thing although if you did watch it often enough you might actually understand it.

Now why in the world do you want me to do a rating on players who were beaten by a second string outfit?

However in the spirit of "glasnost" Aitken, De Belin, Mann, Packer, Havilli A's for adequate most of the rest B's for below expectation with a couple of P's for pass because didn't see enough of them Milne, Mc Carthy.

V

Vasilevsky

Glad to see you are employing the "learning by rote" methodology by which if you repeat something often enough and without even understanding it you can remember it as being correct.

Your point re Benji "leading the team around" is ridiculous nobody led the team around and consequently they were beaten by a second string outfit.

If you and others continually talk up the Souths effort in an attempt to get a pass mark for our lot you are delusional. We should have put 30 on them and we didn't simple as that.

You and Brissy Red V (aka Superman and Clark Kent) can do whatever you like however I would like to remind you I had posted something similar to what you are discussing there 3 or 4 months ago so glad to see you coming to a similar conclusion please keep up with the learning skills.

You obviously were no good at geometry at school so need to re visit the Rein De Belin Packer thing although if you did watch it often enough you might actually understand it.

Now why in the world do you want me to do a rating on players who were beaten by a second string outfit?

However in the spirit of "glasnost" Aitken, De Belin, Mann, Packer, Havilli A's for adequate most of the rest B's for below expectation with a couple of P's for pass because didn't see enough of them Milne, Mc Carthy.

Firstly, unless you can provide the precise measurements and velocities of the ball, JDB and Packer, it has nothing to do with my knowledge or ability in geometry and everything with your being a flagrant idiot, again.

It's true Lenin said:
"There is no 'royal road' to science and if the essence of matters were always as they seemed, there would be no need for science at all."

but in this case, unless you can provide the data I have requested, we can only judge it how it looks.

As far as the game, Souths out enthused the Dragons in the first half especially and added to that a bad call early on giving Souths a lot of possession they shouldn't have. A big deal on such a hot day. Hutchinson and Lafai were shocking. A few players making uncharacteristic mistakes like Peter M and JDB. Rein with his usualy poor dummy half passing and even apart from that a pretty poor game.

All this and the game was in the balance until the last minute. I already said on the thread about the game. I wasn't/aren't depressed by that performance. Worried about whether Mann will be a good fullback and Lafai looks like a terrible signing but apart from that, I'm pretty optimistic after the CS. Most of those those things are easily solved. Lafai or Mann to the NSW Cup. If both are poor it's a problem. Rein's dummy half passing must improve. Simple as that.

Benji played well and always looked the most likely to create anything for the Dragons. As he was last season.

Old Timer

Coach
Firstly, unless you can provide the precise measurements and velocities of the ball, JDB and Packer, it has nothing to do with my knowledge or ability in geometry and everything with your being a flagrant idiot, again.

It's true Lenin said:
"There is no 'royal road' to science and if the essence of matters were always as they seemed, there would be no need for science at all."

but in this case, unless you can provide the data I have requested, we can only judge it how it looks.

As far as the game, Souths out enthused the Dragons in the first half especially and added to that a bad call early on giving Souths a lot of possession they shouldn't have. A big deal on such a hot day. Hutchinson and Lafai were shocking. A few players making uncharacteristic mistakes like Peter M and JDB. Rein with his usualy poor dummy half passing and even apart from that a pretty poor game.

All this and the game was in the balance until the last minute. I already said on the thread about the game. I wasn't/aren't depressed by that performance. Worried about whether Mann will be a good fullback and Lafai looks like a terrible signing but apart from that, I'm pretty optimistic after the CS. Most of those those things are easily solved. Lafai or Mann to the NSW Cup. If both are poor it's a problem. Rein's dummy half passing must improve. Simple as that.

Benji played well and always looked the most likely to create anything for the Dragons. As he was last season.

Yep if you tell yourself something often enough it will become fact.

V

Vasilevsky

Yep if you tell yourself something often enough it will become fact.

Does that mean you can't provide the precise measurements and velocities involved? If you can't provide this data, one what basis do you criticize my understanding of geometry?

Other than that, is anything I said false? I mean, Benji could win the Dally M player of the year, Golden Boot and Clive Churchill medal and you would still denounce him so I don't expect you to admit Benji played well in that game but what about the other things I eluded to?

Vas, please focus on the thread topic, you are very easily distracted mate !

We respect your right to post your opinions as to Dragons issues.

History, philosophy, politics and Geometry are better discussed over a coffee on a Saturday morning or during a university tutorial.

Whether the pass that Debelin was meant for him or Packer is immaterial.

Reality is Rein is not consistent in providing quality ball from dummy half.

He can't be held responsible with the entire lack of spine cohesion.

No Widdop in CS contributed to this together with large number of players used in CS. But guess what it was a trial.

Problem is whether it was a trial or a game of tiddly winks we as supporters expect every dragons player to perform to the highest standards. They failed to meet our expectations.

Mary has made it clear spots are up for grabs.

Go Havili !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Timer

Coach
Saints Forever
I actually think the Rein Packer JDB thing has real relevance

It accentuates how a simple play can go terribly wrong without proper leadership

The issue is what is the game plan for the forwards and who is the forwards leader?

Great Widdop is the captain but not withstanding that there has to be a forward leader and I would like to know who it is.

Defensively our forwards improved heaps last year but in attack they were not very good so to stop mindless things happening again this year I would like to see direction from the coach and the players and the C S sent shivers down my spine

GC Dragon

Juniors
The clear forward leader in the first trial was Packer . He was doing a lot of talking and directing . Also Thommo on the left edge .

V

Vasilevsky

I don't mean to point out I was right. I just want to point out what a complete twit "Old Timer" is. I would invite anyone to look at our exchange on this thread and then watch the highlights and read the match report from the game in Nelson.

I have reached the following conclusions:
1. It's set to be a long, hard season for the Benji haters. Then again, apparently he was poor last year as well so they may be so good at deluding themselves it won't matter.
2. Ditto for JDB haters even though it seems "Old Timer" may be the only one.
3. Myself and Objective View have thus far been 100% correct in our pessimism in regard to Lafai.
4. Thus far I have been wrong in regard to Havili. I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Maybe because it's so rare. Must be tough for poor "Old Timer".
5. My optimism after watching the CS is justified. Starved of the ball early due to a bad ref decision on such a hot day, have Lafai and Hutchinson play the way they did and still be in the game until the last minute is a good effort.
6. The jury is still out on Mann but there is reason to be optimistic.
7. The play where JDB takes the ball with Packer outside and sometimes passes and sometimes goes himself is looking deadly for the enemy.

I guess that's it.

Como Connection

First Grade
I don't mean to point out I was right. I just want to point out what a complete twit "Old Timer" is. I would invite anyone to look at our exchange on this thread and then watch the highlights and read the match report from the game in Nelson.

1. It's set to be a long, hard season for the Benji haters. Then again, apparently he was poor last year as well so they may be so good at deluding themselves it won't matter.
3. Myself and Objective View have thus far been 100% correct in our pessimism in regard to Lafai.
4. Thus far I have been wrong in regard to Havili. I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Maybe because it's so rare. Must be tough for poor "Old Timer".
5. My optimism after watching the CS is justified. Starved of the ball early due to a bad ref decision on such a hot day, have Lafai and Hutchinson play the way they did and still be in the game until the last minute is a good effort.
7. The play where JDB takes the ball with Packer outside and sometimes passes and sometimes goes himself is looking deadly for the enemy.

I guess that's it.

Well stated comrade !

Old Timer

Coach

I guess that's it.

A bit too early to crow just yet but then again you are a c**k so it is to be expected.

Love how you twist and shout but I never said I hated Benji or De Bellin I just don't rate them as highly as others on the forum do.

Interesting Willow gave the man of the match to Widdop funny how you failed to acknowledge that but no doubt you probably thought he was adequate.

V

Vasilevsky

A bit too early to crow just yet but then again you are a c**k so it is to be expected.

Love how you twist and shout but I never said I hated Benji or De Bellin I just don't rate them as highly as others on the forum do.

Interesting Willow gave the man of the match to Widdop funny how you failed to acknowledge that but no doubt you probably thought he was adequate.

You don't need to say, it's perfectly obvious. If you weren't such a moron you would realize this.

Did Widdop play well? That's great. I think he and Benji will combine very well this year. What's your point?

Obviously insofar as try assists, Benji was on fire. If Widdop was better that's great and it doesn't diminish the fact one iota that obviously Benji played very well.

Old Timer

Coach
You don't need to say, it's perfectly obvious. If you weren't such a moron you would realize this.

I apologise as I didn't realise that you already knew that you were a c**k.

Your self admission is worthy of a High D keep up with the rote learning methodology.

Latest posts