What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

TruSaint

Referee
Rein's deficiencies have been done to death.

His passing game is below par, and in many cases his choices from dummy half.

His attributes have also been mentioned from time to time. Tough competitor, short darts from DH, tackles made and so forth.

Havili brings a new dimension to our our 9, but is YET in my eyes a proven replacement. He may well end up being that , but at we stand, only weeks out from the comp, The onus is on the coaching staff to mould / use these 2 to the betterment of the team.

It is not black and white, and any critique of 1 player should be considered carefully in conjunction with his replacement.

As in the centres, Mary has some decisions to make.

BennyV

Referee
It's actually amazing Rein has made it this far as a hooker without possessing the ability to pass.

He's had a free ride that arguably hasn't been afforded to any other player in the comp.

He hit first grade hard, I'll give him that. Very impressive for a rookie with a good running game. Lucky for him, his main competitor (Cam King) was as injury prone as he was talented, and when Rein signed a big, long-term contract, he was let go.

His next competitor, a talented Damien Cook, came through as a half but slotted into hooker when required. Losing him was literally a f**k up by the club - from what I've been told (by one of Cook's family members) it was a case of the retention manager coming back from post-season holiday to find Cook had signed with Bulldogs, against his will. But the club seemed OK with it, because we had Rein and Garvey.

Then Garvey goes out and king hits a guy, and gets himself suspended for half a year. Idiot. And Rein is again, more or less, unchallenged in first grade. Se we sign Le'Strange to come in, but he was never a long term option.

Now, for the first time in his career, Rein is genuinely being challenged for his spot by a hungry, talented young hooker in Havili. We will see how he reacts, because his deficiencies can't exactly be covered up any more.

The Nick

Bench
He's had a free ride that arguably hasn't been afforded to any other player in the comp.

He hit first grade hard, I'll give him that. Very impressive for a rookie with a good running game. Lucky for him, his main competitor (Cam King) was as injury prone as he was talented, and when Rein signed a big, long-term contract, he was let go.

His next competitor, a talented Damien Cook, came through as a half but slotted into hooker when required. Losing him was literally a f**k up by the club - from what I've been told (by one of Cook's family members) it was a case of the retention manager coming back from post-season holiday to find Cook had signed with Bulldogs, against his will. But the club seemed OK with it, because we had Rein and Garvey.

Then Garvey goes out and king hits a guy, and gets himself suspended for half a year. Idiot. And Rein is again, more or less, unchallenged in first grade. Se we sign Le'Strange to come in, but he was never a long term option.

Now, for the first time in his career, Rein is genuinely being challenged for his spot by a hungry, talented young hooker in Havili. We will see how he reacts, because his deficiencies can't exactly be covered up any more.

But even considering all that, we're talking about a hooker that made it into our junior development system and continued to progress without ever learning to pass. It's incredible. In some respects I ain't even mad.

BennyV

Referee
But even considering all that, we're talking about a hooker that made it into our junior development system and continued to progress without ever learning to pass. It's incredible. In some respects I ain't even mad.

Lol more power to him I guess.

You just need to look at the amount of people who will go to the ends of the earth to defend the poor aspects in his game to see how it happens. Effort and defense. Unfortunately for MItch, it's 2016 and his time for 'development' is over, if he can't cut it this year he should not be re-signed.

Old Timer

Coach
Really? You are trying to justify Rein's horrible, horrible passing 'ability' by saying someone should just catch it.

Here's an idea - a first grade hooker with 100+ games experience should just throw a pass to the target. That's out in front of the ball player so that when they run onto it, they catch it on their chest. They shouldn't have to stop and reach low, high or behind them to catch it, thus killing their momentum as happens so often to our forwards and playmakers. And they sure as hell shouldn't have to wonder who the pass was intended for.

Rein passes straight, we wouldn't even be having the conversation.

Question - what gives Rein a free ride with you?

Benny follow the thread properly

Vas said either De Belin or Packer could have caught the pass I asked why didn't they.

I am a firm believer regardless of how bad the pass is if it can be caught it should be. You somehow interpret I am forgiving of the bad pass and that is incorrect.

I have said Rein should be given his chance but I am also on record as saying if he doesn't improve chop him so no free ride there.

I firmly believe our forwards at times are leaderless, mill around like sheep and lack direction and this compounds Rein's existing issues.

So the question is do they mill around because of Rein and I am not sure that is correct either.

I have been a firm advocate that we need more leadership and said repeatedly that if Creagh doesn't start change the captain and I am extremely pleased they have done that.

So end result if Rein doesn't improve and he goes the way of the dodo so be it but I also expect our forwards get some direction and take charge of the game in respect of our attack and whilst Rein may hamper it he is not the sole reason that we haven't.

hazzbeen

Bench

x2 well said Benny....

Old Timer

Coach
With him I quite sure it has more to do with JDB, not Rein. He enjoys taking snipes at JDB and Benji at every opportunity even though at least 95% of the time, it doesn't make any sense.

You rate Benji and De Belin very highly and I don't and make no secret of that so don't accuse me of sniping.

Because it doesn't sit well with you you dismiss it as you do with most posters who disagree with you.

You then try to bully the situation with all the distortion, emotes, Lenin quotes etc etc and then you derail the whole thing along with your devotees.

I really don't care what you think or do however i will engage when ever I wish and unlike your efforts with Mills your amateurish attempts to psychoanalyse people will be more confusing for you than me.

Last but definitely not least I really do like it when things get up your nose because your response is almost always petulant and there isn't any trolling involved.

TruSaint

Referee

Mate your on a mission lol.

Lets rate Havili in due course. In the interim, the bold above, whether the fault of the club or not, have left us with Mitch at 9.

Im an not pro Rein nor am I against Rein. At the moment though he is our 9, and Havili is good competition .
Lets see how it pans out ?

V

Vasilevsky

You rate Benji and De Belin very highly and I don't and make no secret of that so don't accuse me of sniping.

Because it doesn't sit well with you you dismiss it as you do with most posters who disagree with you.

You then try to bully the situation with all the distortion, emotes, Lenin quotes etc etc and then you derail the whole thing along with your devotees.

I really don't care what you think or do however i will engage when ever I wish and unlike your efforts with Mills your amateurish attempts to psychoanalyse people will be more confusing for you than me.

Last but definitely not least I really do like it when things get up your nose because your response is almost always petulant and there isn't any trolling involved.

That's fine but the problem is, as Lenin said; "Even slander should make sense."

I don't have any devotees.... except for maybe 'Miller was a legend' and 'coast_dragons' but I would class them more as a bad smell than anything else.

V

Vasilevsky

Mate your on a mission lol.

Lets rate Havili in due course. In the interim, the bold above, whether the fault of the club or not, have left us with Mitch at 9.

Im an not pro Rein nor am I against Rein. At the moment though he is our 9, and Havili is good competition .
Lets see how it pans out ?

I must admit, I had never looked into that deeply:? but now I have..... it makes sense:cool:.

duck

Juniors

lol nailed it.

Old Timer

Coach
Hey Vas,

I hope you have a replay of the CS game.

Roll forward to 17:48 and have a look and then go back and have a good look in slo mo.

No problem with the pass and quite correct Packer called for it and the pass was intended for him.

Your pin up boy De Belin started to jog into hole, then slowed own and flung an arm out.

As I said milling around like sheep and leaderless.

If de Belin doesn't get involved Packer gets a perfect pass as he is running onto the ball after he has obviously called for it.

Not sure how that is actually Reins fault when someone else intervenes?

By all means blame him where it is clearly his fault but don't bag him when others have played a roll in it.

Have an Objective View moment.

TruSaint

Referee
lol nailed it.

With respect what is our solution to the 9 number duck ?
Bear in mind, we have what we have, and not what may have / could / should have been .

Serious question, do you go with Havili from the on set ?

I dont believe so and i dont believe the club will do so.

Rein has issues, if they are not addressed early on in the comp, then Havili or someone else will have a crack.

Unlike our pigs and backs, we have a real shortage of 9's.

The Nick

Bench
Bear in mind, we have what we have, and not what may have / could / should have been .

Rein has issues, if they are not addressed early on in the comp, then Havili or someone else will have a crack.

The irony is there are so many quality 9's getting around the NRL. Tigers have 2 SOO hookers on their books. I think the club needs to make a decision very quickly in the season on Rein's future because unlike the halfback situation we're not really in a position where we have to persevere with what we have for lack of a better option.

duck

Juniors
Trusaint, I get your drift.

I don't yet have an answer re 9. It's a wait and see situation. I've seen Havilli play precisely 43 minutes of rugby league so it's more hope than anything else. What I've seen so far is promising. Time will tell. However I've seen Rein play many more minutes and quite frankly I've had enough.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but gee I wish we kept Cook.

The Nick

Bench
Did anyone else have some sort of blind optimism that he would have actually worked on his passing game over the off season?

That explains how he has reached 100 plus NRL games.

Problem is it is too early to tell whether Havili will perform consistently at a high standard.

I see him as a very useful utility player. Not the starting No 9.

Contract years tend to be the time players perform remarkably well.

Over to you Mitch, show us your stuff.

giboz71

First Grade
I've been trying to find a silver lining with Mitch but it all became painfully clear during the CS.

Out of the 4 hookers who took the field, he was by far the least effective. McInnes had a nice first 10 mins and his solid dummy half work led to the first try. Cook had an impact straight away and looks like his form from the end of last year will continue. As for Havili, we looked pretty good with him on the field and he scored a nice try.

The only thing I remember about Rein was his kick dead and the pass he threw for JDB. Both clangers.

When you're getting outshone by 3 previously back up hookers, there is a problem.

Walpole

Juniors

Rein will be the starting hooker, there doesn't seem to be any question about that.

Given that he's not an 80 minute player we need some cover on the bench.

The options appear to be Marketo, Havili or McCrone.

McCrone has plenty of experience but hasn't played much first grade lately and it appears his best days are behind him. I like Marketo but while he always puts in he's really a backrower with limited abilities at dummy half. Havili on the other hand is a hooker who looks strong and powerful enough to play in the back row.

So for me, yes, I think Havili should definitely have a bench spot come round 1.

Latest posts