What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Frei

unbreaK

Juniors
Is off to Newcastle, unfortunately.

bfoynm.jpg

Real shame, I think he's going to be a great player.

Big Pete

Referee
Getting sick of the Knights pinching all our players.

EDIT: That isn't a go at them either. If I was them, I'd be making the same moves they did (except signing Costigan), it's smart and it's going to bite us on the bum.

If we let him go just to fit Stagg in the side I'm going to be even more pissed than I already am.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Wow, how did Hook let him get away?

Id be pissed too Pete if a prospect like Frei was let go just to fit in Stagg. Mitch would have been hard to keep out of FG given the Broncos lack of depth in the front row and the loss of Te'o.

As a Norths fan Im sad to see him move on but as a Knights fan Im stoked we have signed him.

some11

Referee
If he's going to get a genuine crack at first grade then why wouldn't he leave.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Sims, Cuthbo and Rochow all play prop at the Knights but yeah, I think Frei will be groomed by Wayne to move into the frontrow eventually.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
I might get howled down for this but this my opinion about Mitchell. I think the Broncos have ruined him.

Up until the age of 15/16 Mitchell was quick. He could step he could off load. He could have filled and played in the centres. He had the potential to be a dangerous wide running edge forward.

However the typical Broncos mindset of make the player BIGGER and he will be even better has seen Mitch bulk up and as a result he has lost that natural agility and speed. Now he plays in the middle makes 50 tackles a match. He now longer has the attacking ability he once had. He plays a dumb meat head forwards role.

I dont think Mitch has the "mongrel" required to be a Prop. He had more brains then that and the natural ability and agility he was gifted with has been " developed out of him"

Consequently I dont think he will realise the potential we all saw him. imo.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Then it's no great loss.

Waynes World picks up the crumbs left behind from Brisbane once again

Mehhhh.....

broncos4life

Juniors
As we all no, players are promising players until they leave the broncs. As soon as they go to another club they were going to be the greatest player ever and this will bite the club in the arse and they are better than every single player in the club... despite not playing a minute of first grade

b4l

Juniors
There's an interview on the Knights website with Frei which he pretty much disses how the Broncos coach brings up young players.

Good to see Frei named on the bench for the trails tonight.
There's a few ex Broncos that would look good at Red Hill :x

Knights finalise team for trial:

FIRST HALF:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Kevin Naiqama
3. Dane Gagai
4. Timana Tahu
5. Aku Uate
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Kurt Gidley (c)
8. Kade Snowden
9. Matt Hilder
10. Willie Mason
11. Beau Scott
12. Chris Houston
13. Jeremy Smith

Interchange:

14. Travis Waddell
15. Korbin Sims
16. Mitchell Frei
17. Neville Costigan

SECOND HALF:

1. Peter Mata'utia
2. Chanel Mata'utia
3. Marvin Filipo
4. Anthony Quinn
5. Pat Mata'utia
6. Will Smith
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Adam Cuthbertson
9. Chris Adams
10. Zane Tetevano
11. Robbie Rochow
12. Alex McKinnon
13. David Fa'alogo

Interchange:

14. Travis Waddell
15. Korbin Sims
16. Mitchell Frei
17. Neville Costigan

Jason Simmons

Juniors
There's an interview on the Knights website with Frei which he pretty much disses how the Broncos coach brings up young players.

That'd be this one I presume?

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Getting-to-know-Mitchell-Frei/67947

The one where he doesn't say a single thing, good or bad about how the Broncs bring through young players?

Thought so...

The simple fact these blokes get snapped up so quickly, show that the Broncs are doing something right in their player development...

b4l

Juniors
Q: How did you find transition from Brisbane to Newcastle?
Frei: Pretty hard to leave friends and family behind but for my footy it was probably the best choice so I'm grateful for that now.

Q: What attracted you to the Knights?
Frei: I'm looking forward to working with Wayne, he does a lot things for younger blokes like Dane Gagai so hopefully I can turn out like them.

Good to see the development of Kurt Baptiste and Ben Hunt the last few years at the Broncos :roll:

I win again. Next challenger please.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Q: How did you find transition from Brisbane to Newcastle?
Frei: Pretty hard to leave friends and family behind but for my footy it was probably the best choice so I'm grateful for that now.

Q: What attracted you to the Knights?
Frei: I'm looking forward to working with Wayne, he does a lot things for younger blokes like Dane Gagai so hopefully I can turn out like them.

Good to see the development of Kurt Baptiste and Ben Hunt the last few years at the Broncos :roll:

I win again. Next challenger please.

Which says absolutely nothing about the Broncos. You might have noticed Andrew McCullough developed over the last few years too. As did Matt Gillett, Jack Reed, Corey Norman, Josh McGuire and so on.

Frei left because of the lack of opportunities for fringe backrowers at the Broncs because of the quality ahead of him in the pack.

There's no further challenge. You've already been pwned and consequently won 2/5ths of...

b4l

Juniors
McCullough has not improved. Hes the still the same average player we all waiting to step up.
Reed and Gillett have both gone backwards.
And Corey Norman has always been shit.
Thanks for proving my point you dumb ass LOL

Jason Simmons

Juniors
McCullough has not improved. Hes the still the same average player we all waiting to step up.

Ah yeah, sure. Broncos player of the year in 2012 and invited to the emerging Origin camp, probably next in line behind Smith for Qld's Hooker position... Yeah really average, douche.

Reed and Gillett have both gone backwards.

Obviously why they both played representative football last year...

And Corey Norman has always been shit.
Thanks for proving my point you dumb ass LOL

No he hasn't "always been shit" otherwise he wouldn't have received U20's outside back of the year in 2009 over and above your beloved Gagai.

Thanks for demonstrating yet again, how little of a clue you really have.

b4l

Juniors
Ah yeah, sure. Broncos player of the year in 2012 and invited to the emerging Origin camp, probably next in line behind Smith for Qld's Hooker position... Yeah really average, douche.

Obviously why they both played representative football last year...

No he hasn't "always been shit" otherwise he wouldn't have received U20's outside back of the year in 2009 over and above your beloved Gagai.

Thanks for demonstrating yet again, how little of a clue you really have.

LOL @ you. You don't even watch the games. You base you shit on awards and shit you read in the papers.

At the start of every season we hear about how Mccullough going to step up. He's lucky he won the Bronco of the year as they all pretty much sucked last year. Will Zillman is also part of the emerging Origin squad. What does this tell you? :roll:
Segeryaro and Srama are both ahead of him. Lets not forget Ballin either.
I would have Baptiste over him as well.

So both Reed and Gillett both played representative football last season so that automatically means they had good years :crazy:
Reed was picked by the fans while Gillett was picked on reputation.
I bet you didn't even watch one Bronco game last year.

Norman has always been shit. Even in the under 20s I never rated him when all the dumb asses raved how good he was even though they never see him played.
Tell me how many under 20 games you have watched Norman played? I bet you none. Exactly. Leon Bott won the rookie of year at the Broncos one time as well. Where is he now? :sarcasm:

Game Set Match to me.

Next challenger please.

Last edited:

Latest posts