What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Frei

Jason Simmons

Juniors
24m7pqs.jpg

Good read. See how Wayne is doing everything to try make Dane happy? Bringing his brother down and his family to relocate end of the year.
See how Jacob wasn't happy at the Broncos? No surprises there.

Yes, if he's anything like his brother, then getting massively butthurt over being told what he can and can't do by a first grade coach mustn't have sat well with him.

Diddums...

Now the facts. The coach told him he was playing after his MOM performance in the QLD Cup and told him not to go out that Sunday night to the Normanby and rest up which he did. On the Tuesday morning he went back on his word and told him he has decided to go for the more experience "bigger body" player in Copley.
This is when Dane went on a 24 hour bender. He had lost all respect for the coach. If Beale didn't sign with the Dragons, I doubt the coach was going to offer Dane another contract anyway. Dane felt the coach never really believed in his ability and no matter how well he played he wasn't going to get picked.
He was never sacked by the Broncos. He was just told he wouldn't be playing any first grade that season.
It's quite sad really. That got along fairly well from the under 20s but things turn to turd sandwiches rather quickly.

Awww. Something didn't go his way so the little cry baby decided to do whatever the f**k he liked in direct contravention of the club's rules.

And then cracked the sads when he gets disciplined for doing so and now you are acting the same way.

Poor little Dane Gagai. Apparently he's not bigger than the Brisbane Broncos football club...

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
If the story is true then its pretty poor of Hook. The players need to be able to trust their coach.

Gagai should have taken it on the chin though.

Although I don't understand why he couldn't be given another chance. It's not like he did anything that bad.

It's something we all need to get over. Although it's hard given our lack of depth in the backs now.

b4l

Juniors
Remember when Henjak was let go, the first move Hook made was to bring Gagai back into the starting side? Originally Kahu was slated to make his debut and Dane was on the outer.

Something doesn't add up.

Yeah Henjak had a big issue with his weight.

b4l

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ainst-them-today/story-e6frexnr-1226381458816

Bennett's bid to use Gagai straight up is not surprising given the form of the team and his opinion of the 21-year-old former Australian Schoolboy star.
"I'm a fan of talent and Dane Gagai is a rare talent," Bennett said.
"The game has done so much for so many young men and I just believe in people, to be honest with you.
"I don't think there's too many of us who haven't made mistakes in life and don't have regrets about decisions we make.
"Dane Gagai doesn't bring a lot of bad habits. We're not talking about drug or alcohol abuse and we are not dealing with a guy who has assaulted anyone. It's a few disciplinary issues and we can work on that with Dane.
"Sometimes a young kid doesn't get it right the first time and some guys need a bit more help than others. (Issuing a lifeline) is something I don't mind doing with Dane because I don't want to see his wonderful talent lost to the game.
"And I don't want him to go through the rest of his life with a lot of regrets because he didn't live the dream."

1qaz

Juniors
Good read. See how Wayne is doing everything to try make Dane happy? Bringing his brother down and his family to relocate end of the year.
See how Jacob wasn't happy at the Broncos? No surprises there.

Now the facts. The coach told him he was playing after his MOM performance in the QLD Cup and told him not to go out that Sunday night to the Normanby and rest up which he did. On the Tuesday morning he went back on his word and told him he has decided to go for the more experience "bigger body" player in Copley.
This is when Dane went on a 24 hour bender. He had lost all respect for the coach. If Beale didn't sign with the Dragons, I doubt the coach was going to offer Dane another contract anyway. Dane felt the coach never really believed in his ability and no matter how well he played he wasn't going to get picked.
He was never sacked by the Broncos. He was just told he wouldn't be playing any first grade that season.
It's quite sad really. That got along fairly well from the under 20s but things turn to turd sandwiches rather quickly.

Just backing up what I wrote.
From the Couriermail today:

THE Broncos will consider signing Josh Dugan if the NRL allow a new contract with him to be registered after viewing a file from Canberra of his misdemeanours. The Broncos are yet to negotiate with the sacked Raider but the door is ajar for the former NSW Origin fullback to move to Red Hill.
St George Illawarra are frontrunners with significant room in their salary cap for this season.
But Gold Coast last night declared they would not be pursuing Dugan.
The NRL confirmed no one had tried to register a new contract for Dugan since he was axed from Canberra last week.
The Titans had internal discussions about chasing Dugan.
The Raiders will email a "Dugan Dirt Dossier" to the NRL today and the governing body will decide his fate late this week.
Dugan's laundry list of misdemeanours is likely to induce a suspension of several weeks because he brought the game into disrepute.

Raiders coach David Furner confirmed there were behavioural issues previously unreported in the media that would be revealed to the game's bosses in the dossier.
The Broncos have strong cultural benchmarks that take precedence over talent. They would find it hard to justify signing Dugan if the NRL ruled his behavioural breaches were serious. But Brisbane lack backline strike players and most NRL clubs would be foolish to ignore the 22-year-old's on-field class.
NRL chief executive David Smith will have the final say on when Dugan is allowed to return to the NRL after consulting the ARL Commission.
Senior NRL official and head of strategy Shane Mattiske said the Raiders' report would form the basis of their ruling.
"It will depend on the detail in the Raiders' report which I expect will be delivered on Tuesday," Mattiske said.
"We have placed conditions on the registration of players before."
When Knights centre Joseph "BJ" Leilua was sacked by Sydney Roosters last year, the NRL placed a condition on his registration that effectively suspended him for four games.
Six of seven charges laid against Leilua in a Sydney court of sending a naked photo of his ex-girlfriend to her brother and best friend were dismissed. No conviction was recorded and he was placed on a one-year good behaviour bond. The NRL stipulated Leilua attend education sessions.
Coach Anthony Griffin showed how crucial culture was to his Broncos last year when he told Dane Gagai he would not play first grade that season and could leave.
Gagai reportedly had an attitude problem and made a series of minor breaches of the club's code of conduct.
He has since become a lethal centre for Newcastle.

Latest posts