What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce - Contract Situation

Yosh

Coach
There are a lot question marks about Mullo now, both on and off field, and that is just heartbreaking cos he always struck me as bloke who was genuinely good at heart.

If I had to be honest, he was and maybe still is my favorite Knights player. We probably only saw 20% of what he was capable of. Imagine he was in the Storm system or came through together with Smith, Cronk and Slater. I reckon we would be talking about Mullen in the same light.

He was quick and was big for a half. Reminded me a lot of Fittler. Had a massive boot. Could throw a cut out pass like a bullet. Local lad as well.

Its really unfortunate what happened and I hope we have systems in place now that will forever prevent anything like this happening again. There's probably no chance that he will play again for the Knights but would have been nice to see him come back and play even a bit part squad role.

Burwood

Bench
He would have been the perfect NSW Cup player, a bit like Clint Newton when he came back. Great for experience and to help mentor the young kids, and available for first grade when needed.

Old dog

Juniors
He was/is one of my favourite players, you got a buzz when he chimed in, his only weakness was injury otherwise great

I remember the game v Titans when Dave Taylor ran full tilt at Mullo on the try line and he just hit him front on and drove him backwards into the turf. Was one of gthe best 1v1 tackles id ever seen since Joey tbh

Burwood

Bench
He never reached the heights he should have.

No argument there, but it wasn't through a lack of effort on his part. After Joey retired, he never really had a quality number 6 or 7 next to him and often had to carry quite a poor team. The club let him down, not the other way around.

There'd be dozens of players over the years who showed promise as a junior and never had the drive to make it as a regular first grader. Bit harsh to call Mullen the biggest waste of talent ever.

Apey

Staff member
Its just out of frustration. It wasn't all his own doing - shit club, thrown into Origin too early. Outside of Ponga he's probably the most talented player we've had since Joey.

aqua_duck

Coach
Based on that 1st half I don't know how much value Pearce will offer next year let alone in 2 or 3 years. For all the intangibles and leadership he beings his lack of mobility now is startling. Defensively he's been caught out a few times now and that chase for the Tesi Nui no try was hard to watch, I'm pretty sure the ref ran past him

perverse

Referee
Based on that 1st half I don't know how much value Pearce will offer next year let alone in 2 or 3 years. For all the intangibles and leadership he beings his lack of mobility now is startling. Defensively he's been caught out a few times now and that chase for the Tesi Nui no try was hard to watch, I'm pretty sure the ref ran past him
There's been no problems with his defence until this game, he's dragged us to several wins the past month or so, and he's got an absolute clown show around him in defence today.

He's not there to run down runaway kicks in behind the line. Today is on the coaching staff.

aqua_duck

Coach
There's been no problems with his defence until this game, he's dragged us to several wins the past month or so, and he's got an absolute clown show around him in defence today.

He's not there to run down runaway kicks in behind the line. Today is on the coaching staff.
To be fair he did lead the league in missed tackles last year. I know he isn't there to chase kicks but I think it's an overall indicator of how much speed he's lost. I'm not saying there's any better option for us right now but I just don't see what value he'll bring in 2023 and beyond aside from leadership

perverse

Referee
To be fair he did lead the league in missed tackles last year. I know he isn't there to chase kicks but I think it's an overall indicator of how much speed he's lost. I'm not saying there's any better option for us right now but I just don't see what value he'll bring in 2023 and beyond aside from leadership
I'm glad we had the foresight to sign him year by year, for sure.

Jono078

Referee
It just remains to be seen if he signs with a team for 2023 this upcoming off-season, how that impacts us and if he sees out the season with us.

perverse

Referee
It just remains to be seen if he signs with a team for 2023 this upcoming off-season, how that impacts us and if he sees out the season with us.
Any team that takes that risk without seeing him take the field next year is extremely desperate. We can't afford to make that mistake. If he does sign a contract for 2023 and beyond then we've gotta wish him well, but hold him to his contract too. Personally I do think he's got enough character to see his contract out regardless, but we'll see I guess.

Latest posts