What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce - Contract Situation

Knight Tales

Juniors
If Hooper is any way correct, then there is disconnect between AOB and the board and that is only going to end one way. Maybe Gardner is getting restless. Sounds like Obi wants to keep Pearce but has been a little blindsided.

perverse

Referee
I think ya'll are potentially just reading too much into it. It's pretty much the standard line that every club rolls out when there's stuff going on behind the scenes. Deny, deny, deny - oops they're gone now. What is said to the media vs what is going on behind the scenes can be - and often are - worlds apart.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
I think ya'll are potentially just reading too much into it. It's pretty much the standard line that every club rolls out when there's stuff going on behind the scenes. Deny, deny, deny - oops they're gone now. What is said to the media vs what is going on behind the scenes can be - and often are - worlds apart.
100% agree with this.

For some reason NRL is the only sport where "journalists" or those that cover the sport treat coach speak as gospel.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m sure the club has known for weeks. They’re not going to tell the media though.

I do hope we dig our heels in and either get a transfer fee or a replacement player from somewhere though.

Tom155

Coach
Toohey retweeted this

& now from the Knights official account

The nib Newcastle Knights can confirm an official request has been received from Mitchell Pearce regarding an immediate release from the final year of his contract.

Club officials met with Pearce last night and again today, where the request was outlined and officially lodged.

The Knights have agreed to consider the request, with both parties respectfully agreeing to make no further comment until an outcome is determined.

Discussions between Pearce and the Club remain productive, with both parties focussed on achieving a positive outcome while maintaining the great relationship that currently exists.

No specific timeline has been determined on an outcome for the request, with all involved continuing to follow the due process required.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
I'd be surprised if it went on for a week longer.

He'll get his release but at what cost to the Catalans. We'll obviously try and milk the transfer fee for everything we can.

they have zero incentive to give us much if anything. Player wants to go, we want to do right by him, and we don’t want him to stay if he wants to go.

they will throw 50-100k our way so we claim the moral victory.

best of luck Pearcey better to go early than late.

next year for us suddenly looks a bit fraught.

Jono078

Referee
they have zero incentive to give us much if anything. Player wants to go, we want to do right by him, and we don’t want him to stay if he wants to go.

they will throw 50-100k our way so we claim the moral victory.

best of luck Pearcey better to go early than late.

next year for us suddenly looks a bit fraught.
Agreed.

Although I don't buy that we'll be too worse off next year. This year did show what Pearce means to the team but you could easily argue that his playing ability was not up to par and we won't lose much there if others step up and we get a decent replacement. Even in Clune I'd have confidence he will put the ball in the right place at the right time.

Pearce brought excitement and hope back to the club after many, many, many lean years so I'll always be grateful for that. Wish him all the best but I do think this is in everyone's best interest moving forward.

macavity

Referee
Agreed.

Although I don't buy that we'll be too worse off next year. This year did show what Pearce means to the team but you could easily argue that his playing ability was not up to par and we won't lose much there if others step up and we get a decent replacement. Even in Clune I'd have confidence he will put the ball in the right place at the right time.

Pearce brought excitement and hope back to the club after many, many, many lean years so I'll always be grateful for that. Wish him all the best but I do think this is in everyone's best interest moving forward.

It will be
7 clifford
6 mann

Rod

Bench
Short term no question this hurts our ceiling for 2022. Pearce is probably worth a couple of ladder spot IMO so now we'll likely be in the 8th-10th range whereas if things went our way next season with injuries etc we could have pushed for 5th or 6th.

Long term it might help in terms of speeding up the process towards a more permanent halves solution, whether that be Ponga or someone else. Throw in Joey who can coach up the halves and it might be a blessing in disguise.

Yosh

Coach
Short term no question this hurts our ceiling for 2022. Pearce is probably worth a couple of ladder spot IMO so now we'll likely be in the 8th-10th range whereas if things went our way next season with injuries etc we could have pushed for 5th or 6th.

Long term it might help in terms of speeding up the process towards a more permanent halves solution, whether that be Ponga or someone else. Throw in Joey who can coach up the halves and it might be a blessing in disguise.

Personally I disagree. Most realistically Pearce will play half the games this year and have a blinder in 2-3 games but be sub par the rest. I don't see him winning us a higher ladder position.

slotmachine

First Grade
Look, I was shit talking Pearce before it was cool but there is no question he is the only one that got the rest of the useless pricks interested in winning every week. Such short memories, can't anyone remember how dire we were after he got hurt against the Tigers? We will 1000% miss his competiveness, unless Joey can somehow turn them around in that regard.

With Pearce: 8 wins 4 losses
Without Pearce: 4 wins 9 losses

Alex28

Coach
If Hooper is any way correct, then there is disconnect between AOB and the board and that is only going to end one way. Maybe Gardner is getting restless. Sounds like Obi wants to keep Pearce but has been a little blindsided.
AOB is playing the company line in case the Catalans deal all falls over. Reading any more into that is pretty gullible.

Alex28

Coach
Personally I disagree. Most realistically Pearce will play half the games this year and have a blinder in 2-3 games but be sub par the rest. I don't see him winning us a higher ladder position.
Stats don’t lie Yoshi. We are a vastly better team with him.

Reactions: Rod

ryana87

Juniors

Corey Norman 🤣🤣🤣
Quote is from Norman's manager saying something along the lines of "we have had discussions with knights"...... I take this as the manager has emailed or called knights once or twice saying "cmon guys, plz?"...... Surely Mckinnon and Zammit arnt dumb enough to actually respond

Jono078

Referee
Norman is right at the bottom of the barrel of players I’d like to pick-up if Pearce left.

Latest posts