What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

RWB

Bench
Tommy Smith said:
So, so much can happen in 3 years. You need to remember that when predicting 3 years down the track with such certainty.

And that is why predictions always come back to bite us in the bum.

No one yet knows how far this kid can go, I believe he has the ability to go all the way but being a Roosters fan I'm sure I'm being bias. ;-)

Thurston is an outstanding player but he is not close to a Joey Johns so I can see one day someone over taking him as the best player in the world.

Tom Ace

Bench
Tommy Smith said:
Forgive me for doing my best impression of an overzealous Raiders fan (Carney's the greatest, Mighty Matt Gafa will be the best winger ever!) but i can't help but get excited over just how good Mitchell Pearce is going to be.

I consider Joey Johns a pretty good judge of halfback talent and he has a huge wrap on Mitchy. Said today on the Footy Show that he'll be playing for Australia within 3 years.

The improvement he's already shown is immense. Passing, running, kicking, leadership qualities...he's got it all. When you consider he's just turned 18 and is playing the most important position on the field, it's quite scary to think of the amount of improvement he has in him.

Fear not NSW because you have a 10-year halfback in the wings...

I really wish johns hadn't come out and said that

Lets just leave him alone for the moment and let him develop quietly without unecessary pressure. Let Mullen & Carney get all the wraps and ultimately all the pressure.

Wilco

Juniors
Give other teams a chance to work out Pearce before anyone starts talking him up. Need to wait until his honeymoon period is over before you start talking rep football. Hell, even Joe Williams won games for Souths in 2004, then other teams figured him out.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
Could you have ever envisioned 3 years ago that JT would be an automatic selection as the Australian halfback? Im sure you would have said no-one will get past Joey until he retires
Which was quite true.

...whcih we also wouldnt have predicted would have happened this year.
Johns retired from rep footy last year, obviously relinquishing his grip on the Australian #7 in the process. That much would have been expected three years ago - give or take a year. People might not have predicted that Thurston would be the one filling the gap once Johns retired, but they knew that it was likely that Johns would be quitting the representative scene, and consequently, that it was likely that someone was going to step up to make the jumper theirs.

Predicting how things will go 3 years from now is a different matter, because Thurston is not now as close as Johns was then to representative retirement.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
philstorm said:
It's already happened.

His name is Cameron Smith.

nail.jpg

youve hit it on the head mate.

btw, im with Eele here... middle-late 2005, massive wrap on tim smith... alot of things can happen in 3 years.

And Eele, Keating is being groomed as 5/8 because of a kid from JF named Hodgkinson, boy is this guy an up and coming half... i see Tim Smith leaving parra in 3-5 years due to pressure from Keating and Hodgkison... thats what id like to see anyway, but like weve seen this year, we might just lost juniors (green to sharks) :(

Mr Saab

Referee
I think the TV lights have an affect on Joey and he just throws out statements for the hell of it.
Pearce playing test football within 2 yrs? I dont think so.

Chook

First Grade
Max Power said:
I really wish johns hadn't come out and said that

Lets just leave him alone for the moment and let him develop quietly without unecessary pressure. Let Mullen & Carney get all the wraps and ultimately all the pressure.

Absolutely agree! Johns should just get fat and become a bigger drunk than he already is and talk his sh*t in the beer garden.

Talk up Mullen, Cronk, SBW again...justy leave Pearce to become consistent before labeling him the next "next big thing".

Chook.

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Tim Smith aint that bad he is a good halfback and when he is on his game probaly one of the best Halfbacks the NRL has.

I dont think he is the next Sterling but he is certainly a halfback we can win the premiership with. He is inconsistent but that will eventually leave his game after a couple of years.

Having said that i dont think he will be playing for QLD anytime soon unless Thurston, Prince and Cronk get injured.

tiger_nick

Bench
Eelementary said:
That's right. That's exactly what I mean - when Smith burst onto the scene, he was "the next Peter Sterling". Joey and many other good critics predicted he'd be playing rep footy very, very soon...And what's happened?

I'm impressed as hell by Pearce - he's a super, super talent. But what's to stop him going down the same path as Smith?

The difference is Pearce isn't scared to take the line on. I never rated Smith, even in 05. The Eels just had a super team and everyone was playing to their potential. There were always large flaws in Smith's game.

Razor

Coach
sydraider said:
Mullen is a 5/8 now apparently!

He always has been a 5/8th. He's played 13 games at halfback in his entire life(and most of those were in first grade). The entire time during the under-15s, under-17s, under-19s, Premier League he was at 5/8th. Walsh was injured when Johns retired so Mullen had to move to half in firstgrade.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
The difference is Pearce isn't scared to take the line on. I never rated Smith, even in 05. The Eels just had a super team and everyone was playing to their potential. There were always large flaws in Smith's game.

With all due respect tim smith has probably the best naturally ability of all halfbacks in the game, yeah he does not show it week in week out, and has those silly errors in him but the kid is class. im not saying that because i am a parra fan but believe me, tim smith is a special talent, and will only get better with years to come, a halfback that can lead parra to a premiership and play rep footy forsure one day.

This saturday night Tim Smith v Mitchell Pearce. should be interesting

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
j0rd0_ShArKs said:
is Blake Green a good player? I havent seen much of him
to be honest, i dont think blake green will be much of a loss for parra and wont be much of a bonus for sharks, from what i have seen he is good without being special. He does have a good kicking game, defence needs alot of working on and is slow in making decisions IMO, but more 1st grade should help him. Goodluck to him i wish him all the best

petetheileet

First Grade
I really cannot see the nxt big thing in any of the current young half backs playing in the comp....Cronk maybe, is he still considered young???

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
petetheileet said:
I really cannot see the nxt big thing in any of the current young half backs playing in the comp....Cronk maybe, is he still considered young???
well thurston is only 24, so he has alot of years left in him, he is the nest big thing and already the big thing

Latest posts