What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

typicalfan

Coach
Wrong. He was part of a team that reached the grand final. Thats the same sort of stupid logic that keeps nuffies like White and Perry in rep teams.
He was one of the Eels best in the semis. One of their best in the Grand Final itself. He scored the try that essentially guaranteed them the GF berth.

lol he has performed on the big stage before he was supposed to be ready for the top 25 of his club let alone playing 6. And he is a nuffie? I suppose you are one of those guys who thinks it was all Jarryd Hayne right?

morley101

Juniors
Mortimer will suffer from the 2nd year syndrome.... Got found out in defensive in the grand final... will become a weekly event next year.

fred92

Juniors
Any more progress in the Pearce > Manly move? Is Orford close to resigning?
Manly were chasing Pearce last year but the Roosters signed him to a four year deal.Pearce will stay where he is, so too will Orford.

watatank

Coach
He was one of the Eels best in the semis. One of their best in the Grand Final itself. He scored the try that essentially guaranteed them the GF berth.

lol he has performed on the big stage before he was supposed to be ready for the top 25 of his club let alone playing 6. And he is a nuffie? I suppose you are one of those guys who thinks it was all Jarryd Hayne right?

I don't think anyone is saying Mortimer is a nuffy but in any case he's not the player plenty of people talk him up to be.

Vic Mackey

Referee
i thought pearce's second half of the season was great. on many occasions he looked to be the only roosters player who gave a sh*t.

it would have been easy for him to hang his head and toe the line like the rest of them, but he really had a go. considering what he had to work with, i thought he did very well.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Who's better than him?

Thurston
Prince
Cronk

Kimmorley & Orford are solid but can go MIA in big games.

Funny enough everyone of those players has a wealth of experience over him.

So what are we criticizing him for exactly? Being young and playing in a dud team...

Give the kid a chance before you write him off as a bum.
Agree! he was the only one in the side giving it a go, i would blame the other 16 players before i blamed him

adamkungl

Immortal
Roosters who had a go this year:
Perrett
Fitzgibbon
Pearce
Anasta

the others, including the coaching staff, are either uncaring, lazy, incompetent, sh*thouse, or all of the above.

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't think anyone is saying Mortimer is a nuffy but in any case he's not the player plenty of people talk him up to be.

No one is talking Mortimor up like that. Wallace, Pearce, Mullen, Smith recieved the same sort of hype when they were graded. Obviously coming from a famous rugby league family Mortimor is going to be talked up more than other rookie halves with the same attributes. When NSW haven't developed a great halfback in 15 years any potential is gonna be raved about.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I dont think he's a superstar by any means, he's not rep quality at this point of his career, but he's better than Josh McCrone or Marc Herbert, thats for sure. I'd take him at Canberra

Raider_69

Post Whore
Definately think (with Carney gone, anyway) that he's the cream of the young halves going around.

He's back next year
remains to be seen what sort of player he is with a year off, and all the baggage, but the kid is still ultra talented and still has 10 years of Footy in him if he goes the distance

Carney will still represent his state and country imo, which is absolute devestate me. Im glad he's gone from the club but it will be hard to watch him be a star when had he got his head screwed on he'd be a star for us :(

typicalfan

Coach
What are people saying he is? He is a young guy who has far exceeded expectations and played a big hand in getting where the Eels got this year. He isn't the star of the side but who is expecting him to be?

Mitchell Pearce has great potential and has shown grit and determination in a tough season but playing well in a beaten side and playing well when you are in a top side has different challenges.

Mortimer will be targeted next season no doubt, may be quiet. I think Pearce will not be targeted next season...why?

typicalfan

Coach
Mortimer will suffer from the 2nd year syndrome.... Got found out in defensive in the grand final... will become a weekly event next year.
He missed 3 tackles in the match. One yes ended up giving Slater a try but he was hardly found out defensively. On the other hand he did make 5 tackle busts got more involved than his halfback or star Jarryd and over 100m himself. Jeff Robson and Todd Lowrie are the guys you wanna target for their defense in the big one.

watatank

Coach
No one is talking Mortimor up like that. Wallace, Pearce, Mullen, Smith recieved the same sort of hype when they were graded. Obviously coming from a famous rugby league family Mortimor is going to be talked up more than other rookie halves with the same attributes. When NSW haven't developed a great halfback in 15 years any potential is gonna be raved about.

I'm not sure what the hype was around Wallace when he was at Penrith but the difference and the other three is that they were (and are) more talented and were the very best juniors coming through.

What are people saying he is? He is a young guy who has far exceeded expectations and played a big hand in getting where the Eels got this year. He isn't the star of the side but who is expecting him to be?

This is the part I disagree with most. He contributed no doubt, but didn't play a huge hand. Players like Hayne and Robson were much more important and let's not forget that Parra have a lot of talented players who lifted all around the same time (particularly the backline).

Mortimer will be targeted next season no doubt, may be quiet. I think Pearce will not be targeted next season...why?

I'm not sure what this means.

typicalfan

Coach
Yes but Robson faltered in the big one. Mortimer looked comfortable in the Grand Final splitting the defense and looking dangerous particularly in the first half of the decider. He didn't get a lot of support though Moimoi, Hindmarsh, Cayless and Burt were good on the day as well.

typicalfan

Coach
I'm not sure what this means.
He will targeted because he is in the limelight. Much easier to perform when you are out of sight out of mind but Mortimer won't be.

Mortimer has a long way to go, I am not saying he is the next Turvey already or anything I just think he has done well, I don't think he is overrated in the slightest. I think he far far far outweighed expectations this season and for a guy who still physically isn't even first grade level yet he is doing a good job.