What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Shorty

Staff member
I don't think halfback is the option, Kimmorely has done the job you aren't going to find anyone more adequate especially as it's at a fierce LP.
Until Gidley is moved out of the starting line up I feel NSW will continue to lose the series.

Meth

Staff member
The bummer for NSW is they got the halves selection so radically wrong that they really need to pick a completely different halves combination, which must be so disruptive.

Lyon as a five-eighth was a joke. Kimmorley performed well enough but he's hardly the future or a series winner.

Talanexor

Juniors
I didn't think Kimmorley was that bad. I thought Lyon was rubbish until they reshuffled and he moved to centre. Picking a centre at five-eighth was a very costly mistake IMO.

Stick with Kimmorley at half for the series. Put Pearce or Campese at five-eighth, for the experience. You wouldn't throw two young halves in together at club level, let alone against the best Origin side ever.

Joker's Wild

Coach
NSW will need to change the halves anyway because Lyon has effectivley been ruled out of game 2

Gidley 6
Pearce/Kimmorley 7

What I think will happen, not what I want to happen

beads6

First Grade
Pearce and Carney would be very good in the halves for the blues. Those 2 together would give QLD something to worry about. Kimmorly is a boring old halfback he just should never have been selected IMO.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah, I actually can't believe NSW is yet to pick Todd Carney....they seem to pick talent once and then drop them and then pick hacks and give them patience.

perverse

Referee
according to Brian Smith, Carney isn't mentally ready for it yet... and Smithy was 100% spot on about Mullen. origin played a big part in destroying the early career of Jarrod Mullen, he was thrown to the wolves and he wasn't properly prepared to handle the occasion or his subsequent snubbing since. he has never been the same player, and it rocked his confidence to the core. if they pick Carney for NSW and QLD obliterate them up at Suncorp (lets face it, it's a 99% certainty), then i can easily see it doing the same for Toddy boy, especially if they just discard him for the next game like every other NSW half. all you roosters fans saying Carney should be picked should have a good, long think about that.

Pearce i think is ready. Carney is a loose cannon, and if things didn't go as planned i'm not sure he would cop it sweet.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
On form, Pearce was the frontrunner for the Blues number seven jersey before he got injured.

Kimmorley was the next best choice, not the least because at least he was experienced.

Now that Pearce is available again, why would we persist with Kimmorley, who is nearing the end of his career?

Will Queensland select Ballin over Smith for Game 2?

So it's a simple and logical change.

Lyon should never have been selected as 5/8 in the first place, but he's injured now, so it's a moot point. Someone new has to come in there.

Either select the experienced Barrett (who is coming into some good form) or bite the bullet and pick someone - a genuine 5/8 - for this series and at least the next series. Campese was unfairly axed after Game 1 last year ... surely he donesn't deserve to be blacklisted after such a limited opportunity.

Win, lose or draw, they should pick Pearce for the remainder of this series and AT LEAST the 2011 series. Even if he's out of sorts. Just pick and stick. It's the only way forward. Even when they weren't dominating, Queensland didn't chop and change as much as NSW does!

Speaking of forwards - stop dropping backs and halves when the forwards are getting beaten and provide no platform. Too much time and energy is spent debating who should play centre or wing (and on what side of the field). Pick a forward pack with a bit of mongrel, with a sprinkling of hard workers.

Gallen has to be there. They should also pick at least one of Douglas, Snowden, Galloway or Mannah - whoever they think they can best rely on to be worthy of selection next year.

aqua_duck

Coach
Kimmorley tries hard and always leads the kick chase but in origin thats not good enough, he's the halfback, he needs to be setting tries up, and running the show. Noddy isn't good enough for this level anymore, hell he's hardly good enough for 1st grade looking at how the dogs are going, his kicking game isn't as good as Pearce, his running game definately isn't as good, and all other facets are on par with Pearce at best.
I hate how NSW always stick with the safe option when the safe option hasn't worked for the last 4 years

perverse

Referee
i hate how NSW fans think the problem is player selections... when we've had that many combinations over the past 5 years and nothing has worked.

oh wait, but if you just take a bloke from game 2 '08.. and a bloke from game 3 '09... and get these blokes together... and then select this and that young bloke... then it will work... right?

watatank

Coach
The selection policy is the problem, though. Look at the selection trends and the type of players NSW have been picking and backing over the past 4 years... It has pretty much all been mediocre talent.

perverse

Referee
back to the FFB with you :arrow:

...and anyone else delusional enough to think that NSW have the talent to match it with QLD and win a series at the moment can join him.

i think the fact that NSW fans can't even agree on a halves combination, let alone a forward pack or backline speaks volumes about just how below QLD we really are as far as top-tier talent goes. if there were genuinely all these standouts that were capable of beating QLD, we would all agree on selecting them. the only thing we can all agree on is Gidley not being fullback... and that most of whichever the previous team that pulled on the Sky Blue isn't up to the task. :lol:

and most of you actually think removing Gidley from the team will be enough to completely turn the tide against QLD! :lol:!!! you all said the same about Buderus! about Kimmorley! about Mullen! about Anasta!

where does it end? :crazy:

KumulRaider

Juniors
well looking to the future, attacking spark, running game etc.. Pearce is the man for the no.7 and Campese for five-eigth

GGOA

Juniors
where indeed?
No one player will change anything. NSW defended like reserve graders in origin 1 and unless they change their attitude as a group, its more of the same.

adamkungl

Immortal
back to the FFB with you :arrow:

...and anyone else delusional enough to think that NSW have the talent to match it with QLD and win a series at the moment can join him.

i think the fact that NSW fans can't even agree on a halves combination, let alone a forward pack or backline speaks volumes about just how below QLD we really are as far as top-tier talent goes. if there were genuinely all these standouts that were capable of beating QLD, we would all agree on selecting them. the only thing we can all agree on is Gidley not being fullback... and that most of whichever the previous team that pulled on the Sky Blue isn't up to the task. :lol:

and most of you actually think removing Gidley from the team will be enough to completely turn the tide against QLD! :lol:!!! you all said the same about Buderus! about Kimmorley! about Mullen! about Anasta!

where does it end? :crazy:

Nonsense. There isn't a specific bunch of players that magically would do the job, but there sure as sh*t are a fair few combinations that would give us a strong chance.

Games aren't won on paper, least of all Origin, but you have to go in with a decent squad. CONSTANTLY picking players out of position and going out with a nuffy like Perry in the front row and only one prop on the bench, these are mistakes they make year in year out and we still come within a bees dick of winning. Inglis and Thurston and co aren't unbeatable football gods.