What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monaghan to find new club for 2008

CC_Eagle

First Grade
CharlieF said:
I think Burns has a lot of potential and is also younger. Once his attack improves, he will be a gun player.

I know, I know..

I just wish he'd offer more to our centres!

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21627961-23214,00.html

Monaghan may move to Tigers
By Dean Ritchie
April 27, 2007 HE has led Manly to an unbeaten start this season but halfback Michael Monaghan is ready to play next season with Wests Tigers.

Monaghan is under contract until the end of 2008 but has been granted permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

A desire to play halfback has led to Monaghan's push to leave Manly a season before his deal expires.

Monaghan, on a deal worth about $240,000 a season, is aware he may struggle to dislodge Manly's Matt Orford at halfback and Matt Ballin at hooker.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer will discuss the situation when Monaghan's manager, Jim Banighan, returns from the United States next Monday.

Monaghan spoke briefly last night, only saying: "It is cause I want to play halfback. I will talk more about it when Jim gets back. It will be over very soon."

Canberra, Newcastle and North Queensland have denied an interest in Monaghan, who filled in brilliantly this season at halfback with Orford missing through a leg injury.

But Wests Tigers is showing considerable interest in Monaghan.

"Without doubt we'd be interested," Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said.

"One of the main reasons we bought John Morris was that he could also play five-eighth, lock and hooker.

"It really depended on who stuck their hand up to play halfback.

"We are working hard with John and he might still make a go of it.

"But if someone did stick their hand up then John would still be a great asset as he can cover so many positions.

"We'd be interested (in Michael) but it would also depend whether we could fit him under the salary cap."

Manly privately feels Monaghan has already found a new club for 2008.

"He has been granted permission to look around," Mayer confirmed.

"That came at Michael's request through his manager.

"They came to us and said three into two (Orford, Monaghan and Ballin) don't go."

I think it would be the best fit for both Tigers and Monaghan. Hope it gets sorted out quickly.

simon says

First Grade
Ive always rated Monaghan.....kills us every time we play Manly.

I reckon Manly go better when he is at half than Ogre.

I would be stoked if the Tigers snagged him,allowing Morris to play lock/centre/hooker/wherever.

Bench
simon says said:
Ive always rated Monaghan.....kills us every time we play Manly.

I reckon Manly go better when he is at half than Ogre.

I would be stoked if the Tigers snagged him,allowing Morris to play lock/centre/hooker/wherever.
I have never seen O'Meley play half for Manly:shock: ,I have seen the "Ox" Orford play there though:D .
But yeh,we need him badly.