What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monaghan to find new club for 2008

scottyeel said:
:lol: :lol: Just like Matty Orford told you he would only miss 1 week with injury hey.:lol:

Yes i was another who disbelieved ScottyEels info about Orford stint on the sidelines.

At the time there was also a suggestion that he was having blackouts and that it was all a medical mystery which might derail his career. I took great exception to that.

So, credit where its due ScottyEel. Good on you.

Jono078

Referee
FIND NEW CLUB FOR 2008
Wednesday 25 Apr 2007 21:40
by Matthew O'Neill

Competition co-leaders Manly have dropped a bombshell on the eve of Saturday's crunch clash against North Queensland by allowing Michael Monaghan a release from the final year of his contract in 2008 to achieve his halfback ambitions.

Monaghan's form at halfback in the absence of Matt Orford has been extremely impressive and clubs have already expressed interest in his services. The Sea Eagles have obliged by giving the halfback/hooker a three week 'window' to find a new club for the 2008 season and have the opportunity to play at halfback in the top grade.

The former Manly captain told Rugby League Week today, "I would love to stay at Manly but the reality is they have a good halfback and good hooker in Mat Ballin, both on longer contracts than I am.

"I believe I'm a better half than hooker and that is where my future lies.

"There are a few clubs looking for a half for next season. But if I can't come to terms with one of then I'll stay at Manly and be happy to do so."

The clubs most likely to chase after Monaghan include the Dragons, Wests Tigers and Roosters with the Broncos and Knights also possible options. The Dragons, Wests Tigers and Broncos are struggling badly in the No.7 position this season while the Roosters could be an option if they believe talented youngster Mitchell Pearce is better suited at five-eighth or needs time in the lower grades to develop. Newcastle could be a bolter for Monaghan following the retirement of champion halfback Andrew Johns. Jarrod Mullen has filled in the big shoes of Johns, but before that he was viewed as a five-eighth.

Monaghan's form at hooker has been sound and his form when given the chance at halfback was close to the best in the competition as Manly's position on the table indicates.

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=27948
Well, I guess the effective immediately thing was wrong.

Sorry about that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:sleeper:

The amount of people claiming scoops without credible sources on these forums is getting boring.

Hold on, wasn't O'Meley signed to the Roosters? :sarcasm:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Why would they do that? They still have to pay him out. At best the would have done a deal with a different club to try and get some of his salary payed out.

Jono078

Referee
Dodger said:

The amount of people claiming scoops without credible sources on these forums is getting boring.

I dont post sh*t Dodger..

I'm pretty sure I was the first to post the NZ team and announce Johns' conference on LU, they all were true.

Although this one was a bit of an error.

Timmah

Staff member
Hmmm...interesting. He's been close to their best apart from Stewart this season.

What a bastard of a club.

Brycey

Juniors
Dodger said:

And if you believe the author on past instances Willie Mason and SBW should be playing for the Roosters and Brad Fittler should have already have made his comeback for the Roosters.

Timmah

Staff member
Jono078 said:
I dont post sh*t Dodger..

I'm pretty sure I was the first to post the NZ team and announce Johns' conference on LU, they all were true.

Although this one was a bit of an error.

Would you like a medal?

Perhaps a chest to pin it on?

Simple - once you have a source, post :)

Jono078

Referee
Dodger said:
Would you like a medal?

Perhaps a chest to pin it on?

Simple - once you have a source, post :)
I dont want anything. I just want people to know the latest news when it's available, I would have eventually gotten a source, as you can see..

Timmah

Staff member
Just letting you know :). I've had posts deleted for less in the past.

ON TOPIC now... as I said - he's been one of their best, WTF are they doing releasing him? Sure, he'll be second-string to Orford but FMD he's good.

Timmah

Staff member
O'Meley is still off-contract at Canterbury, and is yet to sign anywhere for 2008 and beyond.

Latest posts