What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monas and Hicks star for Wolves

Warrington man of the match Michael Monaghan revealed there was a "hollow feeling" in the dressing room despite the Wolves kicking off their English Super League campaign with a resounding win.

The 27-year-old Australian made an impressive debut, engineering five of his side's six tries in a 32-20 victory over injury-hit Hull at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington.

But the former Manly Sea Eagle was less than impressed and insisted the Wolves needed a big improvement to topple St Helens in next week's derby at Knowsley Road.

"We got two points which was the important thing," Monaghan said.

"It was a little bit scrappy but that was always going to be happen in the first game of the year.

"To be honest, there is a little bit of a hollow feeling in the dressing sheds after the game. We probably didn't get on with the job like we wanted to.

"We'll enjoy the win but, if we play like that next week, we probably won't get a win. We're still fairly realistic about what we need to do."

Warrington, who are determined to shed their underachievers tag, looked a far more organised and purposeful side with Monaghan pulling the strings.

He played down his own contribution.

"It was good to get the man-of-the-match award but there's a fair bit of improvement to be had," said Monaghan.

"I haven't played halfback for a few years so I think it will take me a few weeks to get back to fitness and find some consistent footie at halfback."

Warrington, led superbly by new skipper Adrian Morley, opened up a 20-8 lead when Monaghan and winger Kevin Penny combined to get Australian Test centre Matt King racing away for a glorious length-of-the-field try on 28 minutes.

It is sure to be an early candidate for try of the season and one which may never be repeated.

"It was something we'd worked on during the week," revealed Monaghan. "We were lucky enough to get it on.

"I guess teams will be looking for it now so it will probably be the last time you'll see it."

Chris Bridge, deputising at fullback for the injured Stuart Reardon, scored a try in each half and Vinnie Anderson, Ben Westwood and debutant winger Chris Hicks grabbed the others, with Lee Briers kicking four goals.

Hull went into the match without seven first-choice players and their injury crisis deepened with the loss of Great Britain prop Garreth Carvell with a potentially serious knee injury.

But they played with spirit throughout and teenage centre Craig Hall kept them in the hunt with a brace of first-half tries.

There was also a debut for 17-year-old centre Tom Briscoe, who had to take time off from school to enable him to train with his new team-mates and found himself up against King for the final quarter.

SOURCE: NRL.com

The_Englishman

Juniors
chileman said:
:( Geez we are going to miss Monas and Hicksie this season.....we were crazy getting rid of Monas!

Your loss is definitely our gain. Was very impressed with both of them last friday!.

effnic

Bench
I got a bit of money on the wolves to win it this year, they were paying $11 and i thought with players like monas, hicks, king and morley they will definetly be there in the end. Cant wait to watch the replay tomorrow night.

Cletus

First Grade
It's a good team and I think I'll support them this year. Might have some money on them too. I'd have to say Monas would have to be one of the best halves they'd have over there wouldn't he?

The_Englishman

Juniors
Cletus said:
It's a good team and I think I'll support them this year. Might have some money on them too. I'd have to say Monas would have to be one of the best halves they'd have over there wouldn't he?

Certainly has made a good case to be after one game, hopefully will link with Lee Briers very well, either side of them two there is Hicksy and Gleeson on the right and Matt King and Penny on the left. As for putting money on us, i dont know we are known as the 'underachievers' and always get built up to do well and let ourselves down.

He could be one of the best halves in super League, compare him with the other halves from the so called 'top' clubs:

Leeds - McGuire & Burrow
Saints - Pryce & Long
Wigan - Barrett & leuleuai
Hull - Dykes & Horne
Bradford - Deacon & Harris/Jeffries

Make your own comparisons guys!

Cheers

The Englishman

macavity

Referee
some fantastic players running around in the UK these days - almost all of those halves would get a start in the NRL, and some (McGuire, Barrett, Long) would be amongst the better halves.

Warrington would have to be one of the better sides surely - and $11.00 would have to be tempting..

t-ba

Post Whore
Both solid bets imo.

Monaghan has got a sh*tload of mental toughness. Anyone who came back from the rather horrific injury he suffered at Canberra typically does.

He might not be the most technically brilliant player out there (Being honest, his passing game is marginal, his short kicking is patchy and his ability to construct plays is not great), but f**k he's got a big heart and he can lead a team well.

He's just the kind of guy you want in the trenches with you when the heat is on. Look at that effort against the Cowboys last year.