What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - end of an era

Knight76

Juniors
I know its been talked about before, but I'm still surprised that Nine hasn't ever progressed any talks with Fox about purchasing their feed and even using their in-match commentary team.

As other have said, Nine is always looking at ways to reduce their costs with their live sport coverage, and this almost seems like an obvious way to do it. They can still top and tail their coverage with their panel of 'experts', but they can be based in a studio.

Why would foxtel let 9 use their commentary at all? That is the only true difference between the telecasts, the visuals are similar, but the commentary is the difference. Fox pays a lot of money for its on air talent and no doubt so does 9.

I can imagine the look that would give, 9 using foxtel talent and entire coverage.

I doubt either party, or even the NRL would be interested in that.

yakstorm

First Grade
Why would foxtel let 9 use their commentary at all? That is the only true difference between the telecasts, the visuals are similar, but the commentary is the difference. Fox pays a lot of money for its on air talent and no doubt so does 9.

I can imagine the look that would give, 9 using foxtel talent and entire coverage.

They let Seven use their Fox Footy coverage for a number of AFL matches.

Valheru

Coach
As long as Kayo doesn't get jacked up to the $60/m it cost to watch fox sports on foxtel I can live with FTA going the way of the dodo.

The only reason to watch FTA is sport and if a decent movie is on that isn't in your streaming library.

Yep and the TV stations know that.

Live content is the only thing really keeping them alive (and reality TV), same with pay TV.

That is why they will always pay a motza for the rights and TV money will be the key income generator for professional sports for a while yet.

Valheru

Coach

It's a decent idea in certain scenarios, namely localised coverage.

For example, assuming that Saturday gets a FTA slot in the future there is no reason why in Canberra the Raiders game this Saturday wouldn't get televised (with fox commentary) and for Canberrans to watch the next game they would have to have foxtel. That maximises ratings in local markets whilst keeping production costs down.

Styles clash

Juniors
Getting rid of free-to-air coverage is still a fantasy. Millions of people who watch the grand final and Origin simply will not watch if it becomes something they have to seek out and pay for.

siv

First Grade
Break between the 3pm game and 5:30pm game is annoying and inconsistent as there's a 7:30pm game.

If we can allow 15 min between games then we can have pre game comments. But also allow for potential golden point periods

But no matter what we must get rid of the 45 min grass growing period at the ground

Latest posts