What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Money Talks as Mad Dog quits Newcastle

HBG

Juniors
Money Talks as Mad Dog quits Newcastle

By BRETT KEEBLE

THE Newcastle Knights will not pursue legal action against former NSW and Australian winger Adarn MacDougall, who has signed a one year contract with South Sydney worth an estimated $250,000.

The Knights were poised to announce on Saturday that the 28‑year old two‑time premiership winner had been retained on a match‑payments deal for 2004.

But MacDougall went to Sydney on Friday and signed with the Rabbitohs, then flew out to Hawaii the next day for a holiday with his girlfriend Belinda. Knights players and officials were stunned to learn of MacDougall's decision to join the 2003 wooden spooners. Some of his now former team mates only became aware of the development when they were contacted for comment on Saturday by members of the media.

The Knights believe MacDougall had verbally agreed to terms a fortnight ago and the formality of a signature was expected at a meeting between him, his manager George Liolio, and Knights chairman Michael Hill at noon on Saturday.

A highly placed Knights source suggested the club could argue a convincing legal case that MacDougall had breached an agreement with them. But Hill, though disappointed at MacDougall's decision, indicated to the Herald yesterday that this was unlikely.

"I understand players have to do the best they can over a very short career span as professional footballers so good luck to him," Hill said.

"On the other hand, as far as the club is concerned, we're disappointed because we thought we had a deal and the fact that it was not reduced to paper ought not to have been significant."

Liolio said MacDougall had never put pen to paper with the Knights and Souths weighed in with an offer "in writing at the llth hour".

In a media release issued through Liolio, MacDougall said the security of the Rabbitohs' offer and the chance to play alongside his younger brother Luke were too good to refuse.

It is understood Newcastle's offer was for $5000 ‑a match meaning MacDougall would have had to play every game next year to earn less than half the amount guaranteed by Souths.

"It's been one of the biggest decisions of my career leaving a club 1 spent eight years at and won two grand finals with," MacDougall said in his statement. "I'll miss the Newcastle fans, my team-mates and the many friends I've made in Newcastle but my decision is based on the fact that 1 needed to secure my future.

"I'm looking forward to a new challenge and contributing to the success of a club that's steeped in tradition. I'm also looking forward to the opportunity of playing with my younger brother Luke."

Bunnies deal too good for MacDougall

ADAM MacDougall's decision to sign a $250,000 one‑year contract with South Sydney, as opposed to a $5000‑a‑game deal with Newcastle, was a no‑brainer.

Guaranteed money from the Bunnies versus pay‑for-play with the Knights.

MacDougall would have had to play all 24 games for Newcastle next season to make less than half of what Souths are paying up front.

The Knights have to kick in an estimated $75,000 next year anyway as his settlement from the contract they terminated earlier this season.

Not even the most one‑eyed Knights fan could begrudge him that but there might be some questioning the way he went about it especially in light of comments he made in The Herald one month ago.

MacDougall put his hand on his heart and said playing for Newcastle meant much more to him than financial security, and that he was prepared to sacrifice a few dollars to stay with the Knights.

He had already knocked back a lucrative offer from the Rabbitohs and rejected overtures from English clubs, saying he was not interested.

"To me, it's not about the money ‑ it never has been," MacDougall said at the time, making public his offer to stay for match payments.

"I've had lots of opportunities to leave the Knights and go to other clubs but I always chose what motivates me, and what's motivated me is pull­ing on the red and blue because I'm so passionate about it.

"I've never stayed here as a business decision you play for the Knights for more than that ‑ it's something special."

MacDougall seemed certain to continue his "special" relationship with the Knights right up until Friday, when he drove to Sydney, met with Souths coach Paul Langmack, and signed with the Bunnies.

The Knights argue he verbally agreed to terms two weeks ago.

According to sources, MacDougall wanted to explain his decision to Souths and Cronulla ‑ who had been chasing him ‑ and have his accountant cheek Newcastle's offer before signing it.

There were also requests to restructure some components of the deal regarding when payments would be made, but that was unworkable under the salary cap.

Souths had inadvertently bought some time, Langmack kept up the pressure over the phone, they made one last bid in writing and Newcastle were none the wiser.

Even his manager George Liolio seemed to have been left out of the loop.

He scheduled a meeting between himself; MacDougall and Knights chairman Michael Hill on Friday which was rescheduled for noon on Saturday at which MacDougall was expected to sign on the dotted line.

The Knights were so confident MacDougall was staying they almost included a statement to that effect in a media release announcing the retention of Robbie O'Davis last Friday afternoon.

As early as that morning, Liolio was just as convinced he was staying but once Souths showed him the money, MacDougall could not say no.

Hill and MacDougall swapped answering machine messages before finally speaking via mobile phone on Saturday morning.

MacDougall was at Sydney airport about to leave for a Hawaiian holiday.

He was so concerned about the impact of his decision that he rang Liolio from Hawaii early yesterday to monitor the reaction, but fie should sleep easily.

The soap opera surrounding his future, which began four months ago when the Knights terminated his original contract. has had more twists than an Agatha Christie thriller and no one could have predicted its dramatic conclusion.

In the end, MacDougall showed the Knights as much loyalty as they showed him.

Terminator

First Grade
Good luck with Doogs Souths, you need him alot more than we do anyway, he has been my favourite Knights player for the last six or seven years, and I own a pair of his 01 socks.
I think the Knights showed him alot more loyalty than he showed them in the end, but football is about making a living and I wish him well with you guys, I'm sure he will win quite a few matches for you, but hopefully not against us.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah he'd be a good buy, if he could stay on the field for more that 2 minutes without getting injured, same goes for Tezza. :lol:

Tigerpete

Juniors
Word is that Souths have purchased 8 state of the art , high tech wheelchairs, and will be using them as part of their training routine. 7 of them will be shared through out the squad the other will be for sole use by Owen Craigie, who complained that the toilet was too far away and that he'd get tired walking a whole 100m.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think owen's may be equipped with a potty, saves him getting up then. :lol:

Tigerpete

Juniors
Now the whole "state of the art" thing makes sense now.........also has a stable table, especially for owen! :lol: :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of those tables with smurfette on it or something like that? :lol: